Second R4 is disc protected?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by mikeym1979, Jun 27, 2009.

Jun 27, 2009
  1. mikeym1979
    OP

Newcomer mikeym1979 Member

United States
    So, I purchased a second R4, not for myself, but for a family friend's kids. From the same site that sold me mine, which works fine. I inserted the R4 into the SD adapter, and into the USB port. My OS recognized everything, yadda yadda. Now when I go to drag the firmware into the R4, it tells me that the disc is write protected, or something like that. I didn't encounter this with my own R4, so I thought this was odd. I tried to format the R4, it it wouldn't allow it. The problem is with the adapter itself, as I was able to install the firmware and games using my adapter just fine. I've read around that there's supposed to be some "lock" switch next to the adapter, which is no where to be seen on either of these adapters. So, what do I do now? They paid their good money for the R4, and the adapter is disk protected. It works, I mean, as I said, my OS recognizes the R4. But I can't do anything else on it. Can anyone help?

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Wait what??? You can put a R4 in the SD adapter? Well if you are talking about a micro sd look at the sd adapter and find where it says lock push it up. It should be on the side. If this doesn't help then I dunno.

3. mikeym1979
    OP

United States
    Uh, I...don't know, lol. *cries*

I put the tiny chip into the thing that connects into the USB slot.

Anyhoo, there is literally no switch on the adapter. It's just smooth all around, with one end that slides into the USB port, and the other that receives the tiny chip.

4. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    I don't want to sound like a dick here but I'm a bit confused.

The tiny card is a microSD card. It goes into an adapter for your computer (USB or SD) for you to put files on. It goes in the bigger cartridge for the NDS to run those files.

What it sounds to me is like you put the microSD card into an SD card adapter, then put that in a laptop. The microSD => SD Card adapter has a little switch on the left side. If it's down, the disk is write protected. I make this mistake every once and a while and have to take it out and switch it back up to write-enabled.

Is this what you mean? If not, could you describe it with a bit more detail?

Edit: ahh, try formatting it? right click on it in my computer and 'format'? Try taking it out and putting back in?

5. mikeym1979
    OP

United States
    I apologize for the confusion. [​IMG]' So, the tiny chip is the MicroSD card? Okay.

The problem is, I insert the MicroSD card into the adapter, and from there, that adapter goes into my PC's USB port. The PC recognizes it, but it's disk protected, meaning, I can't take anything off, put anything in, nor format. I was only able to put my friend's games into it using my adapter, which is the same exact one that was purchased for him, which is locked. So you're saying that the MicroSD card has a switch on the left? The tiny card? I looked it over and it had no switch. I also looked over my adapter, and the locked adapter, and neither have switches. Though, I was able to narrow down the problem to the MicroSD card (duh, lol). I put my MicroSD card into the his adapter, and it worked just fine. But when I use his MicroSD card, it's locked. I don't know what to do. =(

6. BoxShot

United States
    If that's the case it sounds like the micro sd is corrupted or basically non functioning. That means you need to buy a new one. [​IMG] At least I don't know any way to fix that.

7. mikeym1979
    OP

United States
    No, the MicroSD card works fine. Well, almost. I was able to use my adapter to somehow place the firmware and roms into his MicroSD card with no problems. Yet, with his adapter, and his MicroSD card, it's locked. *scratches head*

8. BoxShot

United States
    >.> *scratches head harder* Ow.

9. mikeym1979
    OP

United States
    I'm assuming this is the thing you guys are talking about, with the switch?

[​IMG]

If so, mine doesn't look like that. It has no switch.

10. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    ^ That kind of case is the only one I've heard of it becoming locked.
    ...except possibly it could get removed unsafely and become corrupted into being write protected.

Try using another adapter and usb port before giving up on the MicroSD.

11. newg

Newcomer newg Member

United Kingdom
    The problem here is clearly with the bundled microSD adaptor for the second R4.

Just buy a spare adaptor or two. If you buy from ebay, you should be able to get them for around $0.50 cents or so each, if you go to a local electronics store, you might pay up to a dollar or two. ( I'm assuming you're american here, i'm roughly converting from what i know in GBP [​IMG])

For example, i just bought a couple of spares from ebay, and got two adaptors from some hong kong seller for £0.70 pence free postage.

sure they'll be cheap crap, but they're only backup incase mine fail (I have 4 r4 cards, and the microSD adaptors for 2 of them have busted, they're just cheap crap, but easy to replace)