SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So i was watching CSI: NY, and they were mentioning Second Life, how an assassin killed this person, blah blah blah. I did remember looking at the site for a few moments, a Virtual World. It seemed awesome actually, so i went to see "what it was". I did learn that TO HAVE A HOME, YOU MUST PAY. Now, that ticked me off, if your going to make it free, actually make it free, like some freebies. Then im like, well they have to make money somehow, So i kept on reading. Then i saw somthing called "Buy your own island!". Clicked on it, http://secondlife.com/community/land-islands.php
"Pricing

Islands are priced at US$1,675 for 65,536 square meters (about 16 acres). Monthly land fees for maintenance are US$295."

WOW. $295 A MONTH for virtual land? Now thats crazy, even more crazy is $1675 total for some virtual land! So, I noticed this was kinda like Runescape, except your another you. And how its related to Runescape is how you have to pretty much pay to get the features.

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Except it has the worst graphics in the world IMO. And, i dont get how to actually play it(no tutorial, actually there is but, after that, noobs(me) dont know where to go).

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You don't need your own land to enjoy Second Life from what I understand. Also, I think some people actually make things in-world, and then use the money from selling that to lease or buy land.

Generally too, I believe that one island would be a whole server, so yeah that's not surprising, but that's also way more land than you would need unless you were dividing it into chunks and renting it out.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I find Second life ridiculous though.
Some people stay open by having digital barber shops.
Some can just make a living off this game!

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
and some mofos actually dump money into this game...

well i could almost say the same for WoW but i'll get attacked for that.

Helmut

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
SavageWaffle said:
So i was watching CSI: NY, and they were mentioning Second Life, how an assassin killed this person, blah blah blah. I did remember looking at the site for a few moments, a Virtual World. It seemed awesome actually, so i went to see "what it was". I did learn that TO HAVE A HOME, YOU MUST PAY. Now, that ticked me off, if your going to make it free, actually make it free, like some freebies. Then im like, well they have to make money somehow, So i kept on reading. Then i saw somthing called "Buy your own island!". Clicked on it, http://secondlife.com/community/land-islands.php
"Pricing

Islands are priced at US$1,675 for 65,536 square meters (about 16 acres). Monthly land fees for maintenance are US$295."

WOW. $295 A MONTH for virtual land? Now thats crazy, even more crazy is $1675 total for some virtual land! So, I noticed this was kinda like Runescape, except your another you. And how its related to Runescape is how you have to pretty much pay to get the features.

In Second Life, you can build houses and rent them in order to make profit. So that's why it is so expensive, but you can rent a house from another player if you want one. There's even real real estate companies managing virtual land.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's free to create a giant penis costume for yourself and proceed to push people around, which is the only entertainment value I find in the game

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
notnarb said:
It's free to create a giant penis costume for yourself and proceed to push people around, which is the only entertainment value I find in the game
Haha ture
tongue.gif

The Second Sex Life pack is somewhere on the internet
wink.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As stated before, the land is so expensive because you can rent it out to others for a pretty big profit, like you can in the real world (only it's easier). Most people do not own any land (and therefor play it 100% free), while some people are real estate moguls in the game. I've never tried the game but I think if I ever did I would just be a griefer haha

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Eh, if you read up on it, most people who have islands actually make a profit off of them. You get credits every time people visit the island and also you can lease land on the island for money. Theres actually people who make millions of dollars on Second Life. Its rare, yes, but you can always make a quick buck off of second life. My friend makes a couple hundred a week by having an automated vending machine on Second Life that sells his stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out