Searching for a USB DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by theman69, Jun 15, 2009.

Jun 15, 2009
  1. theman69
    OP

Member theman69 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I only have a laptop and and I want to burn Wii ISO's what is my best bet in USB DVD Burners, do I even need to spend that much? I've been searching on newegg, but I'm not quite sure what I need thanks!

2. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    just use a USBloader

3. dark42

Member dark42 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You need it to be able to burn dual-layer DVDs. AFAIK the only dual layer game is SSBB at the moment but there might be others, and there will probably be others in the future.

If you want to burn to DVD+R, you need the drive to be able to do bitsetting to DVD-ROM, that is, it makes the DVD+R look like a DVD-ROM to the Wii (and to everything else). Without bitsetting you can only use DVD-R. I'm pretty sure DVD+Rs are cheaper. You also need software to do bitsetting, I recommend the free IMGBurn.

It might actually be a lot easier and cheaper to buy an internal drive and an external enclosure, and build an external drive. That way you have much more choice for the drive itself. For this you need to buy a regular desktop DVD drive, and a 5.25 inch enclosure with the matching internal interface (I recommend SATA) and the desired external interface (USB). To build it is very simple if you've never messed with computer parts before, just follow instructions that came with the enclosure.

Now to pick your internal drive... there are hundreds of choices but right now in my desktop I'm using a Pioneer DVR-216D SATA drive (retails as Pioneer DVR-2910, same drive different name, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16827129026). It needs a modified firmware flash to support bitsetting (easy to do, I'll explain how to do that if you end up buying this drive) but otherwise it's a good drive to burn Wii games with. I'm going to recommend you get this drive, simply because I can confirm that it works for burning Wii games, and it's a good drive anyway. There are many many drives that will do the things required to burn Wii games, but some of them will not be able to, so if you don't go with my recommendation, do your research!

As for the enclosure, this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817347024 looks like it will do the job nicely.

4. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    These have just come out from Lite-On sound just what you need [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...C7BBTkwCjCECjCE