Searching for a good program to encrypt a folder or an external drive

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by test84, Sep 6, 2008.

1. test84
    OP

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    Hi
    I wondered if there is a good software to encrypt/lock/hidden a folder or a whole drive (an external drive) so if it connects to another computer, it won't work.

More importantly, it should not get unusable whenever I change my windows so the hidden/encrypted files should work with other windowses too.

The whole thing is about privacy of some of my works and since I don't trust my ZoneAlarm and other people connecting my external drive to their PC's while I'm gone, I was searching for a solution.

2. tedmg09130913

Member tedmg09130913 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  3. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
  4. test84
    OP

Iran
    got truecrypt but I dont get the concept of it, I dont want to move my files to their "vault", I just want to have them locked/hidden/encrypted in wherever they are.

5. Javacat

United Kingdom
    oooh.. are you wanting to encrypt individual files where you need a password to get into each one?

The vaults in truecrypt are like mini file systems/filearhives, where they just get mapped to a drive when you open them. You can also encrypt entire hard drives and partitions (which you can then use to completely lock anyone out from accessing your computer without a password).

6. test84
    OP

Iran
    Does it work with changing my windows? or I lose my files when I install another windows on my machine.

7. Javacat

United Kingdom
    You should be able to keep it between windows installations. I don't really know all of the details about how it all works, but if you want more info you should checkout their forums.

8. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Truecrypt encrypted files should work on any windows machine, so long as the actual program is on there. Furthermore you don't actually have to install the program, you could just carry it around on a usb stick.

I find it easier to encrypt the entire drive or partition with truecrypt. Just note that you can't have anything on it if you want to encrypt the entire drive. Afterwards you can move your files or folders onto the encrypted drive once it's mounted with truecrypt, should show up as a separate drive letter in windows.

9. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    You might want to try Omziff. It's a portable program that can handle single file encryption.

http://www.xtort.net/xtort-software/omziff/

I haven't played around with it, yet, but it is on my list of to-try-out!

10. test84
    OP

Iran
    I tried TrueCrypt and it sucked cuz I have to know the exact amount of file I want to encrypt and I dont want to do that and besides I have to move my files to that virtual partition.

I just want a program to lock my files or hide them in wherever they are.