OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sea-of-stars-keyart-w-logo.png

https://seaofstarsgame.co/

Sea of Star is a retro-inspired turn-based RPG, developed by Sabotage Studio.
It's in 2D pixel art style and has a Chrono trigger feeling, both visually and the way it plays, with combined character's combat technics.
Yasunori Mitsuda, Chrono Trigger composer, is also composing some musics for the game.

1.png
19.png
22.png

Development and Release
I's currently in development since 2020, planed for end 2022/start 2023. Planed for PC (steam) and console (Switch.. and more should be announced spring 2022).
It has a kickstarter crowdfunding page detailing the project.
There are also Twitch previews to see game development progression and its playing system.

Story
Two children, with the power of the moon and the sun, can combine them to perform Eclipse Magic and repel the Evil Alchemist's plans.
Sea of Stars is a prequel to their previous game The Messenger (a retro plateformer/metroidvania) where you could find a sun and moon shrine from and old civilization, long before the big flood. You will visit and sail to different islands.

20.png

Day/Night system
With the power of Eclipse, you can control the time, and change the daylight in real time, needed to solve puzzle and progress in the adventure.
The music, composed in different versions for each time of the day, also adapts in real time.
fd8f14e596d28ae34da21d57b4a62283_original.gif

Combats
The combats have no random encounters and no separate battlefield, and combine different systems seen in previous RPGs, like Chrono trigger's cross magical technics, and Mario RPG's (or Final Fantasy 8) active triggers to defend, repel, counter or enhance your attacks by pressing a button at the right time.
5.png
04253a1277b7fc1e5e7a065388e24778_original.gif
3.png

Preview and progress
The developers are sometime making a live stream on their Twitch channel to show the development progress and explain the battle system, or show day/night system.
There are also some music preview posted on bandcamp, you can find them on the kickstarter page.

Sabotage Studio should announce soon (Spring 2022) which console the game will be available to, and the backers will be able to choose the format they want (digital/cartridge, etc.).
It's currently confirmed for Steam and Nintendo Switch.

Personal note.
There was a RPG group on the forum but no thread yet, so I started one and wanted to share one of the game I'm expecting to play this year.
I just played and completed The messenger and discovered this one. I feel nostalgic to 90's RPG and this game reminds me of all the good old time (yeah, I'm old already!).

How many users are waiting for this game too ?
Some of you might even have participated in their crowdfunding?

Previous threads about Sea of Stars:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sea-of-...d-by-chrono-triggers-yasunori-mitsuda.561889/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sea-of-stars-is-a-turn-based-rpg-prequel-to-the-messenger.560335/

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sabotage Studio will make some game announcement on Twitch this Friday, May the 13th. No time chosen yet. If it's like today, it was 22-23H CET / 8PM GMT / 16H Quebec.
They will also answer user's questions.

They said they have ideas for the story of The Messenger 2, but that it might not happen any time soon.
You can watch the test stream to hear what they said (I'm not fluent in english, I might have mistaken things)

Edit:
The stream was May 13th, at 20H CET / 2PM EST, for 1h30.

Watch the video replay on Twitch

They shown one of the first dungeon, puzzle, fishing, "REDACTED FOR SPOILER" included :P

They answered questions about difficulty (no easy/normal/hard, but a in-game character's modifier to equip instead, like power ring, etc.)
Enemies Lv are fixed and not increasing based on character's levels.

2 endings (normal, and complete story ending), but no newGame+ or different story. no procedural element either. just a single story with extended content (finding everything etc.).
There are optional contents too (side missions).

3 character at the same time, swapp-able in real time without wasting battle's turns from a total of 6 characters.
XP is for the group, not per character. Level up is based on 100 points (like Suikoden), but old dungeon or lower enemies will give less XP.

1 DLC at least (backers reached that)
a full pack + all DLC might be released (like the messenger)

No romance, it's all about adventure :lol:
No voice acting.

Even though the game will be more serious than The messenger, it's written by the same person, so there will be humor too.

Release info : Nothing new announced !

release date window... Holidays 2022, and if not, they would like people to have something to play with (demo maybe) this year.
No mobile support planed at launch.
No new Platform Announcement either... So it's still confirmed only on Steam and Switch.

They said the next stream will probably focus more on the battle system.

Edit:
there were no "next stream", instead they provided the demo on Switch. Other consoles might get it too.
Release date is August 29th 2023 on all consoles and steam.

Last edited by Cyan,

Latest photos

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: