Hacking SD vs. SDHC

Saturngamer1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For vWii is SDHC a no go? I'm having a hard time finding a regular sd card in local stores, I'd rather not touch the one in my wii, and all of the other ones I have kicking around I'm not too confident in their health. If they're out for the exploit I guess I will risk it, but once homebrew is installed can everything be moved to an hc? I haven't been able to find a run down on the specifics other than issues with usb cfg running games off of it, which won't be a prob

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need a normal sd card to install the homebrew channel

Once homebrew channel is installed you can switch to sdhc

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For vWii is SDHC a no go? I'm having a hard time finding a regular sd card in local stores, I'd rather not touch the one in my wii, and all of the other ones I have kicking around I'm not too confident in their health. If they're out for the exploit I guess I will risk it, but once homebrew is installed can everything be moved to an hc? I haven't been able to find a run down on the specifics other than issues with usb cfg running games off of it, which won't be a prob

If you are on windows, get winimage and make a complete identical copy of your sd card that you use in your wii.(Then,make a second copy and compare it to the first [if you are super paranoid]. You can check the files with md5 or sha1 or just a simple "fc /b filename1 filename2" in a Command Prompt).

Then format your sd card and setup up as a new install for the Wii U.(If it works, write down what you did so you can repeat the process later).
Once the Wii U is setup you can just copy the backed up wii sd card image straight to the sd card (via winimage) and all should be back to normal for your wii.

If you are on linux, just use "dd" for your sd card.

Saturngamer1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not super worried about a backup, I just don't want some old card to crap out on me on the middle of the install and brick it. I've really only ever had 1 sd card(non-micro) die on me but they're all old and other than the one in my wii and gc memcard, they haven't been stored in ideal conditions. I'm just going to use the one in my wii, back it up, wipe it, and if it craps out during the install at least my wii will still work.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
You need a normal sd card to install the homebrew channel

Once homebrew channel is installed you can switch to sdhc

Wrong, you can use sdhc fine to install the hc just make sure it only has one fat32 partition that's sized below 2GB,
I installed my hc using a 8GB sdhc using this method then resized the partition back to 8GB afterwards.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong, you can use sdhc fine to install the hc just make sure it only has one fat32 partition that's sized below 2GB,
I installed my hc using a 8GB sdhc using this method then resized the partition back to 8GB afterwards.

Which disc/title did you use to install it with an sdhc?

natiels

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saturngamer1, did you actually get this to work following ned's advice? I had a really hard time tracking down a sd card to use for homebrewing my vwii. If this works it might come in handy, but if it works I am surprised none of the tutorials mention it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can run homebrew off a USB HDD if it is FAT32 formatted, so you only need a SD card for installing HBC :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat