SD vs. SDHC

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Saturngamer1, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Saturngamer1
    OP

Saturngamer1 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2014
    Canada
    For vWii is SDHC a no go? I'm having a hard time finding a regular sd card in local stores, I'd rather not touch the one in my wii, and all of the other ones I have kicking around I'm not too confident in their health. If they're out for the exploit I guess I will risk it, but once homebrew is installed can everything be moved to an hc? I haven't been able to find a run down on the specifics other than issues with usb cfg running games off of it, which won't be a prob

2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    You need a normal sd card to install the homebrew channel

Once homebrew channel is installed you can switch to sdhc

3. Saturngamer1
    OP

Saturngamer1 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2014
    Canada
    cool thanks for the fast reply

4. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States

If you are on windows, get winimage and make a complete identical copy of your sd card that you use in your wii.(Then,make a second copy and compare it to the first [if you are super paranoid]. You can check the files with md5 or sha1 or just a simple "fc /b filename1 filename2" in a Command Prompt).

Then format your sd card and setup up as a new install for the Wii U.(If it works, write down what you did so you can repeat the process later).
    Once the Wii U is setup you can just copy the backed up wii sd card image straight to the sd card (via winimage) and all should be back to normal for your wii.

If you are on linux, just use "dd" for your sd card.

5. Saturngamer1
    OP

Saturngamer1 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2014
    Canada
    I'm not super worried about a backup, I just don't want some old card to crap out on me on the middle of the install and brick it. I've really only ever had 1 sd card(non-micro) die on me but they're all old and other than the one in my wii and gc memcard, they haven't been stored in ideal conditions. I'm just going to use the one in my wii, back it up, wipe it, and if it craps out during the install at least my wii will still work.

6. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014

Wrong, you can use sdhc fine to install the hc just make sure it only has one fat32 partition that's sized below 2GB,
    I installed my hc using a 8GB sdhc using this method then resized the partition back to 8GB afterwards.

7. Saturngamer1
    OP

Saturngamer1 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2014
    Canada
    so just make a 2gb fat32 and leave the rest empty? Is there a specific allocation size or is 1024 cool?

8. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    Which disc/title did you use to install it with an sdhc?

9. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014

Yes, I used 32kb.

10. natiels

natiels Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2015
    United States
    Saturngamer1, did you actually get this to work following ned's advice? I had a really hard time tracking down a sd card to use for homebrewing my vwii. If this works it might come in handy, but if it works I am surprised none of the tutorials mention it.

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You can run homebrew off a USB HDD if it is FAT32 formatted, so you only need a SD card for installing HBC :)