SD/USB Gecko v1.0

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by EspañolPorGoogle, Apr 21, 2009.

Apr 21, 2009

SD/USB Gecko v1.0 by EspañolPorGoogle at 4:10 AM (4,212 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. EspañolPorGoogle
    OP

Newcomer EspañolPorGoogle Member

United States
    I've made a mod to Waninkoko's SD/USB Loader v1.5. Source and binaries are attached (source contains my full .git) There's also a patch set to Waninkoko's source, if you'd prefer that.

Major features
    +Adds full GeckoOS support. This means VidTV patch, force video modes, languages, Ocarina, and HookType selection. Unfortunately, it seems GC Pad hook is non-functioning. Big thanks to FISHEARS for his usbocarina. That helped a lot!
    +Adds config file feature. Anything you can setup in a menu (device type, game settings [vid mode, ocarina, etc]) can be saved to a plain text config file by pressing (+). Always use the USB device and don't want to be asked on startup? Put it in the config. Want Animal Crossing to use ocarina by default so you can turn off resetti? Save it to the config.
    +Adds Kid Safe mode. Place "kidsafe = true" in the config file and formatting, adding/removing games, etc is all disabled.
    +Fixed default vid mode so NTSC users don't get black and white on PAL games.
    +Exits to HBC /or/ reboots. Detects if it was a wad or a .dol and operates accordingly.
    +Properly implements retry-on-fail for device loading. This clears the "No WBFS Partition Found" error on startup. I might add a time out, as well, if people still report problems. Works for me, now, though. As a bonus this means:
    +Swapping devices should work, now. IE, unhook 1 USB and plug in another without exiting program.
    +Minor other bugs (power off with button) and made the UI more consistent and made it stop rebooting on every error.

Download
    Source Code or (smaller) Patches from 1.5

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    A lot (or all?) of this has been done in the ultimate loader and maybe others, but nice work anyway. It never hurts to have more options.

3. kyogc

Member kyogc GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    Wow! Easy Version. That what I always looking for. Thanks a lot.

4. TeenTin

Member TeenTin GBAtemp Maniac

Hong Kong
    1 question :

Does the Metroid Prime 1 (Wiimake) work ?

5. EspañolPorGoogle
    OP

United States
    Boy, I wish I'd known about all the others before I spent all that time on this! [​IMG] I guess I spent too much time on technoconsolas and not enough time over here. [​IMG]

6. EspañolPorGoogle
    OP

United States
  7. TeenTin

Hong Kong
    Would anyone please confirm ?

8. kyogc

Member kyogc GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    Why don't you try it by youself?

9. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I doubt that Metroid Prime 1 works, it loads its IOS itself and disconnects the usb storage by that. I think this could only be fixed by the cIOS or a patch to the image/main.dol.

10. TeenTin

Hong Kong
    I don't want to install cIOS rev10 until I can confirm this game does work.

11. EspañolPorGoogle
    OP

United States
    This should work with rev9, it just doesn't show covers unless you have rev10. If you install rev10 you can use cIOS uninstaller and then install rev9 again. I honestly don't see what's holding you back. You make it sound like upgrading is permanent.

12. Knocks

Member Knocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Yeah, the GeckoOS and config file features have already been implemented, but it's great that you've coded your own version. You should try what no one else is done and add network support. [​IMG]

13. Knocks

holy dupes

14. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    network support?

like load iso from network?

yep that would be the good.!!!

15. Knocks

Well, you couldn't play via streaming over WiFi, but you could copy them to your Wii.

16. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Then it'd be too slow. Possibly it's something like ripping games from network.

17. EspañolPorGoogle
    OP

United States
    Well, if I do anything more it will be with the usbloader-gui project over on google code. They already are implementing a network stack to automatically download the covers. I could certainly see adding tiny-smb support to import ISOs from a windows share. And if I got that, I don't see any reason not to experiment with streaming games. I'm thinking one could make a wbfs partition image that contained a single game iso. We could modify wbfs-linux to extract games to a .wbfs file exactly large enough for 1 game, rather than extracting to a 4.7gb iso. It would probably be slow, but why not, eh?

18. Knocks

Start slow. [​IMG]

19. EspañolPorGoogle
    OP

United States
    Well, yeah... but tiny-smb gives you a virtual file system, so I believe accessing files on the share become almost the same as accessing them locally... either with the fopen() function or some function that overrides it (FTPii uses things like VirtuaFS_fopen() etc). The only real work once tiny-smb is going would be to make it access wbfs files instead of trying to read directly from a partition, and that might not be any real work, anyway. wbfs-linux already does it (everything is a file on unix).

Or did you just mean the games themselves would start slow? [​IMG]

20. Knocks

Hey, I remember you! We chatted about this on Teknoconsolas, didn't we.

If ripping is working smoothly and there are no complaints about bugs or strange behavior, of course streaming is worth exploring. It would mess with WiFi-enabled games though.