SD Problem with Dragon Quest VIII

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gigio2000, Jan 20, 2017.

1. gigio2000
    OP

gigio2000 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2014
    Brazil
    Everytime I launch DQ8 I get the same error:
    "An error occurred while the SD card was being written in. Please turn the system off and re-insert the SD card."
    I've already tried with 2 different cias and nothing. My 3ds is a New3ds XL with Luma 3ds (al9h). I've already switched off the clock enhancements at Luma3ds menu and tried some other things.

Does anyone Have a clue what can I do? Thanks!

2. kuh

kuh Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2017
    Senegal
  3. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Do this ^ then change the region to EUR EN. It will work then.

4. Killaclown

Killaclown GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    It's still not working for me, set it to EUR and language to EN. Same writing to sd card error when I launch it. Also tried setting to US but same error there too.

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    not sure y ur encountering such issues. try importing the seed in fbi. that option is in tiles/dragon quest viii . hope it works for u.

6. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    No this is caused by using out of region game. Op should get a version that is the same as his region, if he can not get it to work with this region switch thingy.

7. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    luma is region free. I was able to use the European version. the US version also worked for me.

Killaclown likes this.
  8. Ursus Major

Ursus Major Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2016
    Australia
    While this is normally true, weirdly, it doesn't seem to apply for DQ8.
    Installing the EUR version on a US console and vice versa doesn't let the game write the Extra Data when you start it for the first time.
    It does work if you use LumaLocaleSwitcher on it and set it to the region the game is from.
    @gigio2000 @Killaclown
    You also have to check "Enable region/language emu. and ext. .code" in the Luma config and reboot the console after using LumaLocaleSwitcher

Last edited by Ursus Major, Feb 2, 2017
    Killaclown likes this.
  9. JCR1

JCR1 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2011
    Mexico
    with gateway I have similar issue, I have usa console and eur rom and only can play in English, when change to Spanish, have sd error, this only happen with de orchestral and uncensored, with the normal eur version can play in Spanish without problems.

10. Killaclown

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    @Ursus Major I tried both the EUR and US region and restarted the console multiple times, no idea why it wont work. Downloaded the game from Eshop. I cant find the "Enable region/language emu" in the LUMA settings though, are you sure it's called that? I checked that I have the latest version.

11. Ursus Major

Ursus Major Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2016
    Australia
    Yes, to be sure I just updated to the latest (normal, NOT nightly) build of Luma through LumaUpdater and the option is still called exactly the same.
    If you don't know, you can access the Luma settings by holding select while you turn on the console.

Killaclown likes this.
  12. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    that's what it's called, yes. it's in luma's settings or should be. do u have a screenshot of what settings ur seeing?

Killaclown likes this.
  13. Killaclown

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Seems like I had the Nightly build and it had different options. Enabled those and now it finally works by setting it to US. Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the help!

godreborn likes this.
  14. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    glad u got it working. I didn't realize the nightly build had different options. :P

15. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Have you checked what version of the home menu you are running with the DEV control? I was having issues with Pokemon Sun and it turns out I was running a "unspecified" menu language and was fixed by changed to "English"

Killaclown likes this.
  16. Killaclown

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Never messed inside any DEV controls, but got it working now by using the normal LUMA instead of nightly build :)

17. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Oh yeah that would do it

18. eldavo2090

eldavo2090 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2014
    Mexico
    Dinosaur Land, Donut Plains
    Hey guys I have the same issue right now...
    I'm running 11.4.0-37U with Luma v7.0.5, the game is the EU version with the orchesta music.
    Have enabled game patching and patch SVC/service/archive/ARM9 access On
    Also have the .txt file on the sd card with the EU ENG info in it...
    already tried with Luma region changer but did not work...
    The game was working and to be honest I completely forgot how i managed to make it work
    then I switched the languaje on my system and I believe corrupted my data on the sd card, now I cannot play it because it does not want to
    write the extra data on the sd, can you guys give me some pointers on what could possibly be wrong?
    thanks in advance!

19. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    Use LumaLocaleSwitcher or learn to follow directions.
    https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage#options

20. eldavo2090

eldavo2090 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2014
    Mexico
    Dinosaur Land, Donut Plains
    Do appreciate your help, apparently when I did it was with the LumaLocaleSwitcher which does not work for me, and the folder structure was kinda different
    maybe that was why it did not work for me anymore, I do know how to follow directions, and I am not that new to this stuff, just not aware to the changes on how to load out of region games in this Luma version, thanks