SD died

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by AeroHex, Nov 3, 2008.

Nov 3, 2008

SD died by AeroHex at 3:06 AM (926 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. AeroHex
    OP

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    my sd stuffed while i was playing contra 4 when i soft test
    i had to format it [​IMG] and could not get any of my data back [​IMG]
    had to redownload firmware,roms,homebrew,mulitloader,music

not good
    all is fixed but my data is in cyberspace [​IMG]

just a a report

is this common?

2. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Not common but happens. That's why most people suggest having backup saved files...But sorry it had to happen to you [​IMG]

3. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    My 8GB microSD died twice on me before it died permanently, both times in the Supercard. I was able to retrieve the files off it both times, then got it replaced. MicroSD reliability is limited. That is why I now make daily backups.

4. LufianGuy

Member LufianGuy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do the microSDHC die often?

I don't want to have to keep buying new cards.

5. Searinox

Romania
    They don't die often on decent stable flashcarts like Supercard and CycloDS. The chances of out-of-the-blue data corruption are actually minimal unless you're using DSOrganize to edit or manage files. My microSD died because it was faulty within 5 days of purchase. Its replacement is 2 months old and still going strong. They usually die either from faulty batches, bad flashcarts, or bad apps like DSO. You can expect a microSD that hasn't died within about the first 2 months in conjunction with a Supercard that hasn't died within just about as long, to keep on going until you toss your DS away to buy its successor.

Some flashcarts like the R4 have been reported to break down after 1 year or start corrupting microSDs. With Supercard DS-One I haven't yet heard any such reports. And brand microSDs like ADATA, Transcend, Toshiba etc. that prove to not be faulty batch can last decades.

6. helpme

Member helpme GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i had a M3 ds simply & it kept corrupting my cards & it killed two of them in two month so i give it to my brother in law & hes run it for over a year with no problems
    i had all the supercard range in the last 3 years & i never lost any data from them that i can remember

i have cyclosds's now & use CycloEdit Pro to backup my data just in case

7. RhiGhost

Member RhiGhost GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Thats why I keep a folder with all my SD files in it on my computer. And if you've got a bit of
    spare cash one day it doesn't hurt having a back up card handy. Also keeping a list of pages that you got all your files from is a good idea to. I title the pages in my favourites by which file I got from there.
    Sorry to here about your card, suxxors.

Edit: I use SD cards that are made for camera use, eg. Kodak, Fuji. I've never had any troubles with them, I duno why, perhaps they are made to handle alot more file traffic or somthing.

8. Searinox

Romania
    I'd not be surprised if the M3 Simply corrupts. Its build is identical to the R4. I also wave a red flag to all the R4 clones.

9. AeroHex
    OP

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    yeah im think of getting a 8gb or a 16gb when they come down a bit but yeah besides this matter my supercard has ran flawlessly and now i have my 3 in 1 i can do heaps [​IMG] [​IMG] chrees to supercards