Hacking SD cards wtf!?

Quietlyawesome94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to buy the Supercard, (duh!) And I've recently seen that a game might not perform as well on certain, crappy microsd cards. So before I even buy the dstwo supercard. What's a reliable. 2 to 4 gig, micro sdcard for use with the dstwo? I'm probably going to use it mainly for roms and Homebrew...( preferablly buyable from a local store like Bestbuy or Walmart.) Thanks a lot and God bless lol

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc have absurd prices on flash memory. Do you have a Fry's anywhere near you? If not I'd order from there or New Egg.

Dirt cheap and work fine in the carts I own:
4GB
8GB

Fry's prices are typically similar to New Egg's, and the have bricks an mortar locations if you're lucky enough to live near one. Or you can go to Best Buy or such and pay almost twice as much for a 2GB/4GB than what you would pay for a 4GB/8GB from Fry's or New Egg.

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was previously using a class 4 sandisk, and it was causing horrible lag issues. I'm now using an Adata class 6, and KidIce is using two class 2 Adatas, so I'd believe it's safe to assume Adata would be a decent brand to pick. Please note that class has no effect what so ever on flashcarts; it's all dependent on read speed and latency.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i've tested thousands of files and written my reviews using 1/2gb japanese kingstons, 4 gb class-4 kingstons, and 8 gb class-6 transcends. i bought some of my stuff from meritline.com (great site) and the 4gb cards came from shoptemp.

-another world

Quietlyawesome94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks alot, yall are so helpful. @Verack, if the class doesn't matter, and the read speed and latency do. How do I know if a card has good read speed? All I want is a card that won't lag whatsoever when I'm playing roms. And again thanks... I'm more of a pap hacker guy

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I have yet to see a SD card that tells you the read speed and latency on the box. Your best bet is to ask someone who is a bit more knowledgeable than i am on the subject. If you currently own a micro SD, you can test it with a program called HD tach.

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My adata is working perfectly at the moment, but I'm not sure if 6 hours is long enough for an accurate test. Although, all of the problems and slow downs that were happening on the sandisk aren't happening on the adata.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
I have that Transcend 8GB Class 6 card myself, latency is 0.9ms and the read speed is on average about 14.9 MB/s.

Plays all games that I've come across perfectly and saves really fast
smile.gif

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure this is a summary of what everyone has said so far in this topic:

New Sandisk cards tend to be a lot slower than the old cards.
Adata and Transcend seem to be a good brand to pick.
Avoid buying from Amazon resellers.
Avoid local stores, as they tend to rip you off.
Avoid weird SD card brands, and don't always reach for the cheapest option.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Verack said:
I'm now using an Adata class 6, and KidIce is using two class 2 Adatas, so I'd believe it's safe to assume Adata would be a decent brand to pick.

All my SDHC's are class 6 actually, as are the units I linked to.

@Verack
San Disk is not a brand I'd touch these days. They are ruining their own brand name w/ the over priced and under performing product they're selling these days.

I've had good luck w/ both Transcend's and AData's class 6 cards. The class may not matter in a flash cart, but an SD w/ a higher write speed usually has better reads and access times and they aren't that much more expensive.

And, yes, that's about the size of it on all the other points as well.

Quietlyawesome94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I'm all set, Just have to wait for my grandparents to send my Xmas money. Ive decided to get the supercard from gamekool or realhotstuff I'm still a bit puzzled about what's the best site for flashcards. It looked like shoptemp was until they stopped selling. And I guess that ill go with one of these adata or trancend cards. Funny how everyone is saying these brands I've never heard of are better than brands I only hear about (;ie Sandisc)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: