Homebrew SD card speed issues

TyDye

Linux and 3DS geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello, i have recently had some issues with the data transfiguring speed being slow,

playing games and installing cia files is normal speed

thought the problem is when your transforming data to the SD from the PC it took around 15 minutes to do a 150 MB folder (i have attempted to to this via FTP and the sd card its self by plunging it in) i get about 400-800KB/s

so yea, kinda strange issue any possible solutions?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
hello, i have recently had some issues with the data transfiguring speed being slow,

playing games and installing cia files is normal speed

thought the problem is when your transforming data to the SD from the PC it took around 15 minutes to do a 150 MB folder (i have attempted to to this via FTP and the sd card its self by plunging it in) i get about 400-800KB/s

so yea, kinda strange issue any possible solutions?
FTP is slow. You may have more luck with MicroSD Management (comes preinstalled on new 3DS/2DS, can be installed as a CIA on o3DS but has much faster speeds on n3DS/2DS)
It's still going to be slow because the 3DS' wifi just isn't very fast (it doesn't support 802.11n/ac)
Transferring through your phone should be much faster, but keep in mind that any time you're transferring a lot of small files, transfer speeds are going to plummet, due to random access times being slow, this applies to all types of storage except for Intel Optane, although it's less of a problem with SSDs and memory cards/flash drives. If you're trying to transfer bigger files and it's still slow, then something is wrong. USB 2.0 should reach about 50MB/s, your phone's SD reader or your SD card might be slower than that, but you should still get at least 10MB/s.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

TyDye

Linux and 3DS geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FTP is slow. You may have more luck with MicroSD Management (comes preinstalled on new 3DS/2DS, can be installed as a CIA on o3DS but has much faster speeds on n3DS/2DS)
It's still going to be slow because the 3DS' wifi just isn't very fast (it doesn't support 802.11n/ac)
Transferring through your phone should be much faster, but keep in mind that any time you're transferring a lot of small files, transfer speeds are going to plummet, due to random access times being slow, this applies to all types of storage except for Intel Optane, although it's less of a problem with SSDs and memory cards/flash drives. If you're trying to transfer bigger files and it's still slow, then something is wrong. USB 2.0 should reach about 50MB/s, your phone's SD reader or your SD card might be slower than that, but you should still get at least 10MB/s.
i was transferring a LOTS of small files could that of been why? also the sd management dosent work for me so thats why i dont use it (i do have windows it just wont work)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i was transferring a LOTS of small files could that of been why? also the sd management dosent work for me so thats why i dont use it (i do have windows it just wont work)
That's probably why.
I've used MicroSD Management on a couple different 3DSes, and on different Windows machines, never had any issues with it so I don't know what's wrong. I know it's hard to get working on anything but Windows but as you said you're on Windows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night