SD card not latching onto sd slot…

RedP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
The slot still works and everything, If I hold it in it reads the sd card. The problem is whatever mechanism the Wii has to hold on to the SD card somehow not working.

It’s sad that I’ve managed to homebrew it and the moment I went and added more apps and stuff on my sd it just didn’t wanna go in.

How do I open it up and try to fix it?

I don’t trust myself with soldering if it is needed, but I guess I’m unlucky if it’s needed.

Just to clarify the sd works on pc.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Visual inspection. Make sure no dirt is inside preventing full insertion. But if the spring mechanism is bad, I agree with the message above: New SD reader.

You could also run homebrew apps from FAT32 formatted USB drive.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

RedP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Have you tried using a different SD card?

But really, it sounds like the spring loaded mechanism in the SD card slot broke. You'll need to replace it with a new one (requires soldering).
Visual inspection. Make sure no dirt is inside preventing full insertion. But if the spring mechanism is bad, I agree with the message above: New SD reader.

You could also run homebrew apps from FAT32 formatted USB drive.
I found this video

Could I try to do this as a last ditch effort before getting a new sd reader? And if I have to get one, where do I buy one (in the EU prefferably)?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this video

Could I try to do this as a last ditch effort before getting a new sd reader? And if I have to get one, where do I buy one (in the EU prefferably)?

You can try it, but I can't guarantee it'll work, or even last long.

I have no idea where you'd be able to get an exact replacement. I'd say you could try using a Wii U sd card slot, but China is shutting down for New Years.

Maybe Digikey has a similar part?

RedP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
You can try it, but I can't guarantee it'll work, or even last long.

I have no idea where you'd be able to get an exact replacement. I'd say you could try using a Wii U sd card slot, but China is shutting down for New Years.

Maybe Digikey has a similar part?
I found this https://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2560. It ships to me and the price could’ve been better but it’s whatever

It looks like it doesn’t replace the whole slot but only the contraption which could be good.

Edit: Btw you mean digikey.com right

Last edited by RedP,

RedP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
It does. At least 13 solder points.
Are these the solder points?
D71B278B-A0AF-42EA-9A3B-7990018FE57A.jpeg

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this https://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2560. It ships to me and the price could’ve been better but it’s whatever

It looks like it doesn’t replace the whole slot but only the contraption which could be good.

Edit: Btw you mean digikey.com right
Looks like an exact replacement part.

But read at the top. It says they won't be able to ship for at least a month because of Chinese New Year. And that site looks VERY suspicious, so take caution if and when buying.

https://www.digikey.com/

Are these the solder points?
View attachment 348394
Yes, those are the solder points. Those and the metal grounding tabs at the corners in the front.

RedP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
that site looks VERY suspicious, so take caution if and when buying.
I’ll just pay with paypal and if it’s a scam hopefully I can chargeback.

I’ll order when they open back up in order to not fall outside the chargeback window paypal gives you. If I order from them that is.

I’ll check on digikey though

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Save you headaches if you're not confident with soldering, and get a "USB2SD" adapter.

Pros: It'll work faster than SD Slot. More compatibility with certain games that has anti piracy protection and probably other things I might've missing.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The important thing is the sd card working? Or only when push it in? If it recognizes the sd card ine way or another, i suggest finding something to hold the sd card in place, like a piece of paper on the plastic cover to hold it in place. And use something like Ftpii to ftp files when you want, so you don't need to remove it from there ever again..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up