Hacking SD Card Issue Report Thread

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChaosAxess said:
I don't see how all this matters. My 4GB PQI measured at 17 mb/s and 0.9 RA yet it still doesn't work with Golden Sun.
How stable was the red line on the results screen. Was it almost flat?

ChaosAxess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
ChaosAxess said:
I don't see how all this matters. My 4GB PQI measured at 17 mb/s and 0.9 RA yet it still doesn't work with Golden Sun.
How stable was the red line on the results screen. Was it almost flat?
Yeah

Also with the Japanese version of the game I actually went out and bought a sandisk micro sd to make sure it wasn't just mine. It also didn't work at all.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Might as well post up some results...

SanDisk 8GB Micro SDHC Class 2
Made in China
Read Speed: 19.5MB/s
Random Access: 1.2ms

SanDisk 4GB Micro SDHC Class 2
Made in China
Model: 0935104147D71
Read Speed: 11.1MB/s
Random Access: 4.9ms

WinTec Filemate 4GB Micro SDHC Class 2
Read Speed: 16.3MB/s
Random Access: 2.5ms

Apparently my SanDisk 4GB fails...

LonePilgrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Transcend 1GB nonSDHC
Read Speed: 18.2MB/s
Random Access: 0.9ms

Kingston 8GB Class 4
Read Speed: 14.0MB/s
Random Access: 1.9ms

SanDisk 2GB nonSDHC
Read Speed: 7.8MB/s
Random Access: 1.1ms

AKAIO 1.8.1 works on SanDisk but not on Kingston. AP also (well, i didn't try the new golden sun thou).
ninja.gif

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait I'm very confused. People are giving me cards with 4.9ms of RA yet it still works!?! How is this possible? Usually the card has 0.8ms or lower in order to be in congruence with AW's 8254 latency.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
Wait I'm very confused. People are giving me cards with 4.9ms of RA yet it still works!?! How is this possible? Usually the card has 0.8ms or lower in order to be in congruence with AW's 8254 latency.
o.0 Didn't I say that it failed...GSDD still works on my 8GB, and I'd rather place my bets that it won't work on the WinTec one (which I think is just crap).

The only thing I used was HD Tach and my microSD reader from my R4 (yeah those ones from way back when xD).

Cyphox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hakoda said:

let me confuse you even more, i got a 2gb microsd with random seek time of 0.9ms and golden sun doesnt work. all i get is a blackscreen.

i also got a 4gb microsd with random seek time of 1.0ms and golden sun works just fine.

(both cards are noname btw, tested with hd-tach)

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay so for the time being, please post the cards you know are working without latency problems. Do not base this on the tests given in the first post. Just if it runs Golden Sun on AKAIO 1.8.1 then you're fine.

Until that latency test shows up there won't be any test to distinguish whether cards work or not. you can post R/W/RA scores if you want but since they don't matter until the latency test gets here, you don't have to post them. \

Thanks.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually from what I see the random 4KB and 16KB might be testing at those cluster sizes, and you can format your card to different cluster sizes.

My sequential values for 4KB and 16KB were 1821 and 7273 (average).
My random values for 4KB and 16KB were 1872 and 7327 (average).

Now, the iSmart had an issue with cluster sizes and posted an explanation...
http://ismart-kernel.googlecode.com/svn/tr...ARM9/Readme.txt

So perhaps people with issues can format to 8KB clusters and see if it improves?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940351.aspx
This reports that if you format with windows, an 8GB card will default to 8KB clusters, and my card's 8GB. Of course you can change the cluster size yourself (windows calls it the "allocation size") when formatting from diskmgmt.msc, those having troubles should set it 8192 and see if there's an improvement.

Chesskid1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should be using the official panasonic SD formatter imo. nothing else, it's what the developers of AKAIO say to use, it setups everything to microSD industry standards.

i've had problems with games /w AP patching needed and no matter how much formatting you do i've never been able to fix it through formatting (tried everything), solution was to get a new card. this thread was a good idea and hopefully it will cutdown on new threads asking why working AP patch games don't work.

seems hard to pinpoint a reason for why some cards work and some don't, just have to buy what someone recommends i suppose.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
So perhaps people with issues can format to 8KB clusters and see if it improves?
bow.gif
bow.gif
Formatting using Windows formatter at 8192 allocation booted Golden Sun: Dark Dawn on AKAIO 1.8.1 & Pokemon B/W after Professor's speech on AKAIO 1.7.1 on my 8GB Polaroid Class 4 (Model: P-SDU8GB4-FS/POL Made in Taiwan link). Amazing. I urge all who have problems to try this; I know its the Windows formatter but it'll do. Thanks again.
hrth.gif
hrth.gif

Wait so just for clarification, an 8GB card would get 8KB clusters, a 4Gb would get 4KB clusters, 16GB would get 16KB clusters, & a 32GB would get a 32KB cluster?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm really glad it worked, I'll wait for some other people to test and then tell Another World about it if it keeps working, they'd know what to do with the info.

Hakoda said:
Wait so just for clarification, an 8GB card would get 8KB clusters, a 4Gb would get 4KB clusters, 16GB would get 16KB clusters, & a 32GB would get a 32KB cluster?
By default when using the windows formatter, 512MB-8GB get 4KB, 8-16GB gets 8KB, and 16-32 gets 16KB.

So it'd seem by default formatting only 8GB cards would get 8KB clusters (which is the sweet spot, excepting 512MB ROMs on the ismart).

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
Rydian said:
bow.gif
bow.gif
Formatting using Windows formatter at 8192 allocation booted Golden Sun: Dark Dawn on AKAIO 1.8.1 & Pokemon B/W after Professor's speech on AKAIO 1.7.1 on my 8GB Polaroid Class 4 (Model: P-SDU8GB4-FS/POL Made in Taiwan link). Amazing. I urge all who have problems to try this; I know its the Windows formatter but it'll do. Thanks again.
hrth.gif
hrth.gif

Tried this with a class 2, 4 gig Sandisk. No luck for me. 4kb, or 8kb. Ah well. Back in the MP3 player it goes.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I'm really glad it worked, I'll wait for some other people to test and then tell Another World about it if it keeps working, they'd know what to do with the info.

Hakoda said:
By default when using the windows formatter, 512MB-8GB get 4KB, 8-16GB gets 8KB, and 16-32 gets 16KB.

So it'd seem by default formatting only 8GB cards would get 8KB clusters (which is the sweet spot, excepting 512MB ROMs on the ismart).
Well something funky happened. I loaded fresh AKAIO & just GS:DD when I tested and it worked. So i went "Sweet, now I'll just add my other stuff" and it stopped working. I'm going to remove everything my games and see what happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?