Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MicroSD card speed is becoming a very important aspect of gaming lately especially with initially problematic games such as Pokemon BW, Golden Sun, 999, Sonic Colors, etc. This is not AKAIO's fault but the inevitable idea that game cartridges have the capability to have more graphics & data and require a faster speed to transfer said data. Nintendo's new AP, which is causing all of this, is being incorporated into many new games as well.

Instead of compiling a list of cards that DON'T work, let's compile a list of cards that do work so that when a newbie comes along to choose a MicroSD, he/she knows that everything will work fine.

How to Tell If You're Card is Good:
Another World said:
minimum latency where anti-piracy still works is 8254. class speed is write speed not read speed, being a class 2 or 10 doesn't really matter. except for the fact that some class-2 cards we have tested have a faster read speed than class 6 cards.

AP mode isn't something you want to leave on all the time, set it on a per-rom basis. if those roms require it and having it on causes freezing then your micro sd card is probably to slow to use AP. there is nothing that can be done to fix this, its more of a limitation of the acekard hardware as the AP patching has to be done in software.

by the way that latency number i quoted came from yellow wood goblin, that isn't something i made up. i'd suggest that perhaps you want to run a benchmark on your card to see how it stacks up. recently we tested a 16gb class2 sandisk and the latency was 37700, meaning that the AP patching option users can set will never work on it.

-another world
Download this homebrew. Copy the nds executable and test_sectors.bin file to the root of your card. It is recommended that your card only contains the AKAIO firmware and the homebrew during testing. Select the option "Run all tests". If any of the tests' average results are over 8254, then AAP will not work on it completely. If only one test has a number over 8254, then it is possible to play some games which require AAP but not all. (Thanks Mantis41)

If you'd like to confirm by running a game, then Golden Sun: Dark Dawn & 999 are appropriate choices. If only one test is over 8254, then chances are GS:DD will boot but after playing 999 for a while, random freezes will occur.

How to Test for Read, Write & Random Access Speeds
Run R & RA tests off of HDTach. You want high read speeds such as 15MB/s and low random access rates at 0.8ms or below. If you're card is successful with problematic games, please post your card & its results. (Thanks twiztidsinz)
Run HDTach in XP compatibility mode if you're running Vista or Seven.
You can run H2TestW 1.4 to test read & write speeds as well but posting write speeds is not required since it doesn't pertain to this issue.

How to Post:

Code:
Capacity Brand Class Model Country Hyperlink Read Speed (R) Random Access Speed (RA) Latency Results (LR)
Example (chosen at random):

8GB Kingston Class 4 Model: SDC4/8GB-2ADP Made in Japan Link R: 12.6MB/s RA: 0.9ms Passed All Latency Tests

It is preferred that you link to a site with your MicroSD such as NewEgg, TigerDirect, or Amazon.

List of Confirmed Cards, Organized by Capacity then Class​
Another World said:
4GB Transcend MicroSDHC Class 6 Model: TS4GUSDHC6 Made in Taiwan Link 1 Link 2 (Chesskid1)
8GB SanDisk MicroSDHC Class 2 Made in China R: 19.5MB/s RA: 1.2ms (jurassicplayer)
8GB ADATA MicroSDHC Class 6 Made in Korea R: 15.9MB/s W: 10.0MB/s RA: 0.8ms (twiztidsinz)
8GB Samsung Plus MicroSDHC Class 6 Made in Korea R: 15.9MB/s RA: 0.7ms (Mantis41)

Perhaps with this data we finally get a grasp on solid transfer speeds and have a seamless gaming experience as intended.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
What?

Why don't you simply explain to people how to check the write / read speed of their mSD?

There's no need to test it through games.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Etalon said:
What?

Why don't you simply explain to people how to check the write / read speed of their mSD?

There's no need to test it through games.
Read and write speed do NOT determine the transfer speed associated with problematic games.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
Well, there's software to check transfer speed as well...

Not every card is the same, you know. Some might have been in a cold warehouse for several months. It doesn't matter then, if "Kingston" is printed on it.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Etalon said:

Not every card is the same, you know. Some might have been in a cold warehouse for several months. It doesn't matter then, if "Kingston" is printed on it.
If that's true then, please, post the software. Perhaps we can get an accurate result from it.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
Etalon said:

If that's true then, please, post the software. Perhaps we can get an accurate result from it.
It's called HD Tach.
It's been linked to for a while on http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Memory_Speed_Tests

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
It's called HD Tach.
It's been linked to for a while on http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Memory_Speed_Tests
Perfect but does anyone have the standard for the results? Like what kind of result means the card is good and what kind of result means its bad?

Also do either of you have good cards? Post em.

So what about my card?

8GB Polaroid Class 4 Model: P-SDU8GB4-FS/POL Made in Taiwan link

Read: 10.4MB/s
Write: 6.71 MB/s
Random Access: 1.8 ms

Doesn't work well.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
twiztidsinz said:
It's called HD Tach.
Perfect but does anyone have the standard for the results? Like what kind of result means the card is good and what kind of result means its bad?

Also do either of you have good cards? Post em.
You want high Read/Write speeds and low Random Access time.

My ADATA is up there:
ADATA 4GB Micro SDHC Class 6 MicroSDHC made in Korea
Read Speed: 15.9MB/s
Write Speed: 10.0MB/s
Random Access: 0.8ms

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
minimum latency where anti-piracy still works is 8254. class speed is write speed not read speed, being a class 2 or 10 doesn't really matter. except for the fact that some class-2 cards we have tested have a faster read speed than class 6 cards.

AP mode isn't something you want to leave on all the time, set it on a per-rom basis. if those roms require it and having it on causes freezing then your micro sd card is probably to slow to use AP. there is nothing that can be done to fix this, its more of a limitation of the acekard hardware as the AP patching has to be done in software.

by the way that latency number i quoted came from yellow wood goblin, that isn't something i made up. i'd suggest that perhaps you want to run a benchmark on your card to see how it stacks up. recently we tested a 16gb class2 sandisk and the latency was 37700, meaning that the AP patching option users can set will never work on it.

-another world

My card says .9MS from HDTach, so that'd appear to be over the limit for AAP, but AAP works just fine for me and I've never had a loading issue, so I'm still waiting on info for how YWG tested.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:

-another world
I've never seen a class 2 have a faster read speed than a class 6 or 10.
I've seen

Chesskid1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013DXVYK

i just purchased this and it arrived today. my old card golden sun didn't work, but it works off this one.

9.50$ for 4GB. if you can't afford it, you got bigger problems then golden sun not working. my other SD card came bundled from realhotstuff.com, so they are prolly selling cheap ass bootlegged kingstons.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Rydian said:
Like I said, I'm still waiting on info.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

I've seen a lot of claims go unanswered when asked for verification, especially on the subject of MicroSDHCs.
This is from YWG, and he's actually where AAP came from. It was internal (for the flash memory) on the Acekard RPG. It's not on the R4 because the R4's hardware can't handle it.

Legaia

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Chesskid1 said:

i just purchased this and it arrived today. my old card golden sun didn't work, but it works off this one.

9.50$ for 4GB. if you can't afford it, you got bigger problems then golden sun not working. my other SD card came bundled from realhotstuff.com, so they are prolly selling cheap ass bootlegged kingstons.

So in the end you telling me all of my 4 kingston cards are f**** s*** and i'm f**** up; i'll watiting the new akaio to play or some random patch until then all i have to play is rune factory 3 and pokemon white

Chesskid1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Legaia said:
Chesskid1 said:

So in the end you telling me all of my 4 kingston cards are f**** s*** and i'm f**** up; i'll watiting the new akaio to play or some random patch until then all i have to play is rune factory 3 and pokemon white

you can wait for a patch if you want to, but for every future game that AP patch works on, it won't work on your card, so you will have to wait for a patch for EVERY single game, so i just bought a new one, some games don't even come out with patches at all. i have no idea why you bought so many of the same brand.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are numerous threads on here stating which cards work with Acekard and which don't yet people continue to buy the same shit SD cards and then continue to have the same problems.

Excuse me while I go and find a brick wall to bash my head against.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
People need to really stop buying from RHS. Their products are overpriced and customer service isn't that great.

Ontopic of SD cards, I'm fancying this one because twiztidzinz says it good, plus on the first page of reviews, a GBATemp user who probably used it in a flashcard says it access speeds are good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: