Hacking SD+Camera=Homebrew

RedFire128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a problem at the moment. My PC has broken down and I have no SD Card reader at the moment. My idea was to insert my SD Card into my Canon Powershot SD960 IS and use it in TinyXP in VirtualBox. The problem is I can't add any files to it that aren't PNGs or the like. Is it possible to add files to it which are not pictures ?

RedFire128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats exactly it. I'm not adding files to it because I can't. I connected the camera to the Mac with a USB Cable and it wasn't recognized. I installed TinyXP in VirtualBox, went to the USB settings to enable the camera, and it was recognized in Windows. I went to Computer and the camera was there but I could not paste any files or make any new folders inside of it. Is that enough detail for you ?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats fine. i used my digital camera as a card reader back in the day to put the twilight hack on my SD card. most cameras will allow you to create folders and drag files pretty much anywhere on the sd card. if your sd card shows up as a browsable device in your pc, just treat it like any other card reader.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're trying to use it as a camera device (you go to My Computer and open the camera icon, or in the Scanners and Cameras folder) it probably won't work. You have to access it as a drive. If it doesn't show up as a drive, make sure the camera is configured as such (USB mode setting) and that XP is assigning it a drive letter (check the Disk Management item in Administrative Tools.

RedFire128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My camera is recognized as an imaging device and I can't add files to it. I don't know how to switch it to USB mode as you suggested because there is no option for that in the setup menu. What do I do ? My SD Card is not in lock mode btw.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canon's and Macs have a history of incompatibility. If there's no way to mount your cam as a USB device (which there isn't according to the manual,) your best bet is gonna be a PC. If you CAN drag and drop certain files with your PC, I wonder if the following would/n't work:

1. Change the extension of your files to something that your PC will allow (i.e. .jpg, .tiff, etc.)
2. Drag and drop them into your cam's SD card via USB.
3. Change the file extensions either with your PC or a Wii app.

... or then again, there's always FTPii.

RedFire128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not getting it.

I'm using TinyXP in VirtualBox in Mac OSX.
I canno't add ANY FILE AT ALL (not even pictures) to the Cam's SD Card via USB with either Mac OSX or TinyXP.
My Wii currently has no homebrew AT ALL and is virginized.
DO NOT suggest anything to me which involves a PC, or an already hacked wii. Your not helping.

Sorry if that sounded mean.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RedFire128 said:
You're not getting it.

I'm using TinyXP in VirtualBox in Mac OSX.
I canno't add ANY FILE AT ALL (not even pictures) to the Cam's SD Card via USB with either Mac OSX or TinyXP.
My Wii currently has no homebrew AT ALL and is virginized.
DO NOT suggest anything to me which involves a PC, or an already hacked wii. Your not helping.

Sorry if that sounded mean.

buy a usb card reader then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr