Scrubbed ISOs, should I use or not use them?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LightyKD, Nov 2, 2008.

Nov 2, 2008
  1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    I was wondering if anyone had any luck with scrubbed ISOs on the V0.3 Beta of Wiigator's loader. Right now I have complete 1:1 versions that I'm using with the loader but I have a crappy Clearwire connection (My lame ISP) and my download times are like FOREVER [​IMG] I noticed that scrubbed ISO's are a lot smaller making them faster to download. Will they work the same way in the loader?

2. acesniper

Member acesniper GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yes, they should work. i am playing mario kart wii and fire emblem scrubbed. work as good as 1:1. I am using 0.3.

3. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    ya same thing, i dont understand why it isnt a scene rule...

4. night_chrono

Member night_chrono GBAtemp Regular

United States
    mario sluggers scrubbed is fine for me.

5. dmonkey21

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So, scene releases are not scrubbed ever? or is it just not required and some do others don't? Also, jw wat are some of the smallest scrubbed games you guys have?

6. YellowYoYos

Member YellowYoYos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Depens on the game. Some can get really small.

7. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    Slightly off topic , but the lads have answered you above anyway, Clearwire i have heard , throttle torrent connections so that they are always really slow - many have given out about it.

8. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    This is with my isp also (virgin).

9. Nyutan

Newcomer Nyutan Advanced Member

United States
    Basically all Scrubbed games are.. Is replacing the padding in the rar file with something to tell it to re-pad on extract, Am I right? So Scrubbed and NonScrubbed are the same except download file size.

10. ComplicatioN

Member ComplicatioN Broken Barriers

Australia
    yea their exactly the same when you unrar it its just.

11. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    they "might" be able to be detected at a later date by nintendo so the scene doesnt release them

12. zapu

Member zapu GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Scrubbed games are games with 'blank parts' of the disc filled with 00 or FF instead of random crap. It makes them well-compressable using winrar or so.

There is no difference as far as loaders are concerned.

You might notice a diffrence (well... in not being able to boot the game) on higher firmwares via disc channel (using a modchip). GeckoOS should work then, but I'm not sure.

And yes, the game itself should be able to detect if its scrubbed or not. But no game make use of it so far.

13. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    I doubt it , Nintendo is way far from Micro$oft and $ony in such technology [​IMG]

14. Kyosys

Newcomer Kyosys Member

Germany
    The thing being scrubbed is unpartitioned space, sure, in theory you could check if it's a bunch of 0's or not, but I doubt nintendo would bother

15. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    I got a copy of Wii Music yesterday that was not scrubbed but Rared pretty damn well. The rar was roughly 416mb but the expanded file was 4.37gb and the game plays like a charm. I wish more people would either do a rar job like that or scrubb the game real good. I'm barely making a decent download with this copy of "Obscure the Aftermath" the other two torrents arren't even working at all [​IMG] Let's petition for more scrubbed or better rared ISO's

16. kashin

Member kashin GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Nintendo finds it necesarry to make their images a full 4.5 (4.1) GB even though the games may be much, much smaller (Wii Chess lol).
    They do this by putting alot of garbage data in the ISOS to take up place, so it becomes exactly 4.5 (4.1) GB.
    Scrubbed images are simply those same images, except with the garbage data replaced by easily compressed data.
    So yeah, scrubbed games basically means the garbage that came with the game was replaced, the game itself is not changed at all. And thus, there SHOULD not be ANY difference between a scrubbed or an original garbage game being played.

I and everyone i know have yet to experience any, so yeah, I highly doubt any problems you have with a scrubbed game are BECAUSE they were scrubbed, keep in mind the compatibility of the loader is not perfect and neither is the loader itself.

17. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    Im almost done getting my scrubbed copy of Sim City... My new question is, "Is there a program that I need to run the scrubbed ISO through before burning it or do I just burn it, as is?"

18. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Well, it'll probably be in an archive... but other than extracting it from that, just burn and you're good to go.

19. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    Yes it is in an archive and thank you for your info! I'll just burn it. It won't be as fun as Civilization (Damn you Civilization for not coming to Wii [​IMG] ) But hopefully it will come close.