Hacking Screw Opera.... Free NDS web-browser@!

chillyp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you check out the dude's website, he admits to it being barely even started. I'm pretty sure he is going to realise the huge scale of what he's up against sooner or later and its unforunate he has got the hype train moving so early.

There IS a reason why they had to include a RAM expansion with Opera DS after all.

zragnarok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
huge scale... the opera browser has horrible reviews. i dont think it will be too hard to make something better

chillyp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
huge scale... the opera browser has horrible reviews. i dont think it will be too hard to make something better

Right, because writing a fully standards compliant, fast browser is easy as.

Look at this way, Opera had the source code of their browser, significant experience making mobile browser applications, and a team of people who were getting paid. This is, from what I can gather, one or two people working for free, starting from scratch and with no previous experience. Even if they use Mozilla's rendering engine and get it working in the tiny 4 meg of working RAM provided by the DS, it would be a nightmare getting it to load big pages with full working Javascript, sound and PDF rendering. The fact is anyone can make a fancy web page and go on about what features they are going to have, but it doesn't really mean anything until there is a clear working build.

I know I sound negative but the nature of projects done for free on the Internet is that they are unrealiable. People get excited and pumped about what they think they can do, but writing a browser application for such a low powered confined device is nowhere near childs play. As much as I would like to see this dude succeed and put out a kick ass browser; commonsense and history tells me this is going to end up abandoned after a couple of months.

pysio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
.GaleriaHtmlWiadomosci62868421.jpg

lurker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
huge scale... the opera browser has horrible reviews. i dont think it will be too hard to make something better

Right, because writing a fully standards compliant, fast browser is easy as.

Look at this way, Opera had the source code of their browser, significant experience making mobile browser applications, and a team of people who were getting paid. This is, from what I can gather, one or two people working for free, starting from scratch and with no previous experience. Even if they use Mozilla's rendering engine and get it working in the tiny 4 meg of working RAM provided by the DS, it would be a nightmare getting it to load big pages with full working Javascript, sound and PDF rendering. The fact is anyone can make a fancy web page and go on about what features they are going to have, but it doesn't really mean anything until there is a clear working build.

I know I sound negative but the nature of projects done for free on the Internet is that they are unrealiable. People get excited and pumped about what they think they can do, but writing a browser application for such a low powered confined device is nowhere near childs play. As much as I would like to see this dude succeed and put out a kick ass browser; commonsense and history tells me this is going to end up abandoned after a couple of months.
No... potentially, the homebrew browser will have more RAM usable, since flashcarts such as the Supercard come with some 32MB ram for GBA game support. DSLinux uses 17MB of RAM, and the Opera cart is 10MB.

I don't think it would be that hard to make something usable, implementing basic tags, then tables, Javascript, etc & then moving onto stuff like CSS. Hell, if it wasn't for Microsoft & Netscape, you could probably browse most websites with a high degree of usability with just tags like implemented.

Stanny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Now you can use retawq text-based browser in DSLinux. Even ftp (with some bugs) and login function works very well. And you can save files from web directly on your flashcard.

stupid2ass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm with the naysayers on this one. 2 people versus a team at Opera (which has always been faster than Firefox at rendering pages) who have mobile browser experience. This is gonna be a sloooowww progression. I am willing to bet they will be giving up before this time next year. Props to them for trying but announcing something like this without any proof of concept is silly and IMO as I've seen far too many of these over the years, is just there to get some publicity for themselves. I hope that's not the case with this one, really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I didn't know they made an MSU cart for the Genesis.... I knew about the SNES one and the...