Hacking Screen protectors worth it?

Jeff88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heh, I don't know what's the deal with those screen protector. I have been using my DS phat for over 3 years and there aren't any problem with the screen.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Played the hell out of my DSL and I only have one faint scratch on it which came from when I had a tiny bit of grit or something get under my stylus. And you can only see that when the screen is off anyway. I'd say they're a waste of time and money.

A mate of mine has a scratch down the middle but that's from when his girlfriend played it and for some reason thought you had to stab at it as if you were chiselling a statue or something. If you just play normally you should be fine.

EDIT: In fact, I've just had a look and I can only see that scratch if I have my DS off, the screen is totally clean and polished and I angle it to the light. And yes, I've played a lot of Ouendan etc.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use screen protectors. Before when I had my DS Lite in 11th grade, I got two of the nastiest hairline scratches from some stray glitter from a party in my Spanish class xD. After that, I dropped some Hori protectors and they personally give me a lot of peace of mind as far as how much I can jab at the screen
tongue.gif

When I got my DSi earlier this year to replace the DS Lite I lost at the end of 2008, I plopped some new Hori protectors on it before the stylus ever touched it (and did a freakin' amazing job too, can't even see that it's on there). Now I really don't care who plays my DS or ever worry about scratching it since I know I can just replace the beat up film with a new one.

So... yeah, they're worth it to me. Genuine Hori ONLY, though. Never messed with anything else so I can't comment on those.

Edit: Took me long enough to reach 300 posts xD.
Edit 2: Got my DS Lite in 11th grade, not 10th. Lul memory.

NekuSakuraba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've had my dsl for over a year now, so im going to get a new one.
Before you think i geta new one every year i have a good reason, My Touch Screen is scratched like hell, and my hinge is dead - it dosnt work, the screen just falls when i lift it.. so yeah i need a new one >>

With my new one im gonna get a screen protector because i dont want my touchscreen screwed again
frown.gif

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NekuSakuraba said:
Before you think i geta new one every year i have a good reason, My Touch Screen is scratched like hell, and my hinge is dead - it dosnt work, the screen just falls when i lift it.. so yeah i need a new one >>

With my new one im gonna get a screen protector because i dont want my touchscreen screwed again
frown.gif

Are you going to get a hinge protector too.

tongue.gif

I kill myself, I really do.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys have special screens that I've somehow missed ? That are indestructible somehow ? ? ? ? If not, I simply don't believe you if you claim to play touch intensive games like TWEWY or any olympics-style scratchfest. Scratching the same area in a screen over and over for hours WILL result in a scratched to hell screen, unless you're some kind of calligraphy god

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would rather scratch a screen protector and be able to change it than scratch the actual screen and be stuck with it that way. I always use screen protectors.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
yuyuyup said:
Do you guys have special screens that I've somehow missed ? That are indestructible somehow ? ? ? ? If not, I simply don't believe you if you claim to play touch intensive games like TWEWY or any olympics-style scratchfest. Scratching the same area in a screen over and over for hours WILL result in a scratched to hell screen, unless you're some kind of calligraphy god

This doesn't make any sense, if the stylus is sharp and hard enough to scratch the screen it will scratch it on its first touch. If it doesn't and your fear is doing the same repeated action will "scratch" it then you're not really talking about a scratch, you're talking about it actually wearing the screen away, and I really don't think even sitting there doing it for hours and hours will do that if you're just applying normal pressure.

Do an experiment, get a variety of objects, glass, plastic, wood, and some things to scratch them with (your fingernail, the DS stylus, a blunt knife, a sharp knife, a stone) and play around with scratching then, first with one stroke and then with lots of strokes of the same pressure. You'll find that you can very quickly tell if one material scratches the other or not.

I played Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games to death with no screen protector and didn't scratch my screen.

Lots of people posting in this thread who've always used screen protectors, so haven't been using the stylus directly on the screen and yet somehow "know" that if they didn't use the protector it would be all scratched. How? I know how I know that playing hundreds of hours on my DS with no screen protector and just applying my natural pressure doesn't scratch the screen, how you you know that yours would be scratched if you didn't use your protector?

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't use protectors on my DS (original version) and my 1st Lite and the screens were worn to shit. I guess I used too much pressure, but it feels like it was natural appropriate pressure to me. I should mention my original DS stylus was worn down to a sharp edge so obviously that contributed, but the Lite screen still became cloudy with wear.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tRiBaLmUnKy said:
YayMii said:
I have yet to find a DSi XL screen protector offline.

If you have a Fry's Electronics in your area, they have them. I picked one up yesterday for my XL.
We don't have Fry's Electronics up here in Canada. But I tried EB Games and Walmart, both seemed to not have any (although Walmart did have a "clean and protect" kit, but it had extra stuff I didn't need).

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree.

I got real Hori ones from Play Asia for $7 or so...

And how do they compare with the fake ones from DX?

Well... they similar but not identical. If you can afford it get the real one. If not, get the fake one.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I got an old DS i heavily use to testdrive games and there used to be a screenprotector on it, since it isn't there anymore on, the screen got a little scratched up (especially when you use game slike sonic and mario winter olympics), i use on my other ds lite and dsi all screenprotectors and if applied carefully and good there is no drawback.

A good screenprotector you can apply and remove easily and without airbubbles under it, also no cons for playing.
I got real horri screenprotectors and fake hori screenprotectors and there's a huge difference in it, don't get fake once or get one from a well known company,
doesn't matter if it's hori or another one.

I can only recommand screenprotectors for your handheld!

NekuSakuraba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mechagouki said:
NekuSakuraba said:

frown.gif

Are you going to get a hinge protector too.

tongue.gif

I kill myself, I really do.

Haha, if they exist
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to...