Screen protectors worth it?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by mori123, Mar 29, 2010.

Mar 29, 2010

Screen protectors worth it? by mori123 at 9:32 PM (3,618 Views / 0 Likes) 55 replies

1. mori123
    OP

Member mori123 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I;ve to this day never used a screen protector i am not some 13 yearold who cannot use his ds carefully, but i do Wonder what precisely is The benefit to one? everytime i have seen one of these on a DS it looks Ugly and seems to make the image suck wind perhaps bad ones or bad applications of said item. Anyone care to enlighten me on these? and what i would benefit by using it on My new Dsi xls?

2. tRiBaLmUnKy

Member tRiBaLmUnKy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You'd be foolish to not use a screen protector. This isn't an iPhone or a Zune. Those devices have real glass. The DS is plastic, and plastic scratches very easily. Even worse on the stylus, it's a softer plastic and you can get debris on the tip of it and scratch your screen without much effort. There are unfortunately a bunch of crap protectors or really bad applications. You only need to get a set of Hori screen protectors and you're set as long as you put it on correctly and don't get air bubbles or particles under it, you'd almost never notice it's there. Never use a DS without one.

3. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I have had my DSL 3 years and there is not a single mark on the screen, TBH as long as you are careful and use the proper stylus I don't see the need.

4. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If you have a scratchless DS screen and you don't use a screen protector, you aren't playing very many touchscreen based games. Why would you not want to enjoy such classics as Phantom Hourglass, The World Ends With You, Ninja Gaiden, etc etc.

5. tRiBaLmUnKy

Member tRiBaLmUnKy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ouendan/EBA would be the screen killers for sure.

6. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    I use them and think they are very helpful and saves a lot of damage to your DS. If you play a lot of touch screen games, screen protectors are definitely needed... Would you rather spend a few bucks to protect your screen? Or have to pay more later to replace your screen?

7. ShadowSol

Member ShadowSol GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    yes cuz slowly, some dust goes thro those tiny gaps in ur ds somehow.. o.O
    and now, my old ds phat, all i can see is some random dust that i cant get off that is IN the screen, not outside it.. but then it broke in half so now i dont use it
    LOL

8. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i always play touchscreen games what the hell are you using a pen or knife or summit

9. Boxcutteh

Newcomer Boxcutteh Member

Canada
    Yes they're worth it. I don't go hardcore on my screen, but the screen is plastic and can scratch easily. Getting one is a win, win situation. I don't see a possibility that you'll be on the losing end of having a screen protector other than shelling out a few bucks to buy the actual protector.

10. mori123
    OP

Member mori123 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I have no issue buying one Ijust never saw the purpose So they Only go on the Touch Screen then?

11. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I got a free screen protector from RealHotStuff (when I bought my Ak2i) like 4 months ago and never used it. You think I should use it on my DSi, because its not a official Nintendo one.

12. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    You probably should.
    I don't on my ds phat but there haven't been any scratches and yes I play touchscreen games. I always use my fingers [​IMG]

Jakob you should use it because its not a Ninty one?

13. Candido1225

Newcomer Candido1225 Member

United States
    Ever since the DS Lite came out I never did use them. I would say this, if you play Ouendan and EBA a lot than get some because they are truly rape your screen. If you don't play those games and don't bother. My DS Lite doesn't have any scratches and I had it since release but I do have to calibrate my DS every often due to those games.

14. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I play Ouendan/EBA on my DSL pretty often. And I do not use a screen protector because I need to replace the touchscreen anyway (it is damaged somehow and is offset quite a bit the more to the edge of the screen you move). But my touchscreen is HARDLY scratched, 3 small scratches over to the side that I only saw after cleaning my screen.

EDIT - However, I would still STRONGLY recommend using a screen protector on the bottom screen at least.

15. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    If they're good ones (like Hori's) then yes they're worth it. Cheap crappy ones aren't.

16. kicknhorse

Member kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I have also had a DS for years and have had no problems with the screen at all. I played Ouendan an aweful - and still do sometimes - and not a mark, scratch or fault thus far

17. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    It doesn't take much pressure at all to use the touch screen as long as you're mindful of that you'll never need a screen protector.

18. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    The is no point, they are a con, a solution looking for a problem if you will. I have never used one and my screen is fine, and I have played plenty of touchscreen games including the entire Phoenix Wright series. If the screen could be easily damaged by using a stylus I would have returned my DS for a refund as being unfit for the purpose advertised.

I must admit I was a little worried when playing that stupid cooking minigame in pokemon, but no harm seems to have come from it. You guys don't give ninty enough credit, they wouldn't put out a device that kills itself in normal use, only microsoft do that.

19. kicknhorse

Member kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I found this hilarious [​IMG] (and true!)

20. mechagouki

Member mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Canada
    I've had my red Mario Kart DS Phat since it was new and I have never used a screen protector, I have played lots of touch-based games including a great deal of Trauma Center (why has no one mentioned this before - surely one of the most stylus intensive games) and I completed Chibi Robo: Park Patrol. My touch screen is one of the supposedly inferior 'gridded' screens and yet after 4+ years of constant use it has at most some tiny near invisible scratches (and I blame these on kids I have foolishly allowed to use the unit). I would have thought that adding another layer of plastic to your screen might also lessen the screen's sensitivity? I think it is more important to gain a good feel for how sensitive the screen is and learn to use a light touch.