Hacking Screen Position - USB Loader GX / Nintendont

RichWeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks, first time posting. I've encountered a strange problem regarding the screen position for running Super Mario Sunshine (but not all GameCube games exhibit this problem) when using Nintendont and USB Loader GX. The picture is too far to the left of the screen, leaving a black bar down the right-hand side. I have read various posts from people suffering similar issues, but none that match my own findings. Here's why I think it's odd.

I have my physical PAL disc copy and I also have an ISO installed and set up for Nintendont (and consequently also USB Loader GX). My system set up is a 4:3 CRT TV set to 480i using Scart. The screen position settings in the main Wii settings screen have been adjusted to be perfectly centered and works with all Wii and GC games run from the main Wii dashboard using a disc.

For Nintendont this has to be altered again slightly. Mario Sunshine specifically doesn't seem to take any new screen adjustment setting changes, but some other games do. Here's where it gets interesting:

Incorrect screen position:
  1. Launching the ISO game file with Nintendont.
  2. Launching the ISO game file with USB Loader GX.
  3. Launching my physical disc copy with Nintendont.
  4. Launching my physical disc copy with USB Loader GX.

Only the following scenario is the screen position centered:
  1. Launching the disc copy from the Wii dashboard.

Anyone know what's going on? Or need more info?

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
The screen position settings in the main Wii settings screen have been adjusted to be perfectly centered and works with all Wii and GC games run from the main Wii dashboard using a disc.

For Nintendont this has to be altered again slightly. Mario Sunshine specifically doesn't seem to take any new screen adjustment setting changes, but some other games do.

Anyone know what's going on?
Nintendont doesn't support reading the screen position from the system settings, though it's easy to implement. If you're feeling adventurous you could try my personal build which adds this feature and a bunch of other smaller things, but it's a bit tricky to use. It doesn't have bba support, requires loading from an external loader(USB Loader GX, etc.) and needs the memory card file to be in /apps/gc_devo/memcard.bin to allow using it with Devolution setups. Normally I just use Devolution to play GC games but some of my games are pretty much unplayable there.

With USB Loader GX you can set the nintendont path per-game, so you can keep your current setup and just use this special build for Sunshine.
If you are using the screen position setting within nintendont, it has to patch the video mode to work, this means that on some games it won't be compatible.

I have tried sending some of my changes to the official nintendont but it seems abandoned (have a look at the amount of ignored pull requests.)

RichWeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks mate I'll look into it :)

Edit:

So I just create a folder inside my apps folder called NIN-SS for example, then copy the loader.dol to this, then point Sunshine to that file?

Last edited by RichWeb,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No those are just incoming calls +1