PS1/2 Scored a huge score

CyberFish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a guy on a local message board selling a 60 gig PS3 for $250. Only issue was that it would not read blue ray disks. It would still do DVDs but no blue rays. Since I fixed my current 40 gig laser and another one for a guy at work, I figured I could do a third.

Picked it up and took it home. I opened it up and found dust embedded everywhere inside. Removed the disk drive and PSU. Used an entire can of air cleaning the inside of that thing. On a whim, I opened the drive and cleaned the laser with alcohol figuring that you cant break something that is "broken".

Put everything back together and fired it up. Threw a game in and it read.
bow.gif
So I finally got my BC and didnt have to pay an arm and a leg for it. Plus Ill probably sell my 40 gig for what I paid for the 60.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good score.

I got my 40GB PS3 like 3 days ago, i'm loving it, do you have any advice for the dust, it really is freaking me out after reading your post. I'm guessing a good vacuum from time to time will do the trick ?

CyberFish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to keep it out?? Im not totally sure on that one. I left my 40 gig out in the open and it was hardly dusty at all when I opened it up to replace the laser. Taking the top part off is actually easier then I thought it would be.

On the left side under the warranty sticker there is a security torx bit screw under the rubber stopper. After that, the top slides to the left. Then there are 7 phillips head screws that come out. (the 60 gig I just picked up had an extra 2 small ones, but the 40 only had 7 total) Lift the top part off from back to front. You can now see the PSU and disk drive. From here you should see how dusty the PS3 is.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CyberFish said:
On the left side under the warranty sticker there is a security torx bit screw under the rubber stopper. After that, the top slides to the left. Then there are 7 phillips head screws that come out. (the 60 gig I just picked up had an extra 2 small ones, but the 40 only had 7 total) Lift the top part off from back to front. You can now see the PSU and disk drive. From here you should see how dusty the PS3 is.

Thanks for this. I appreciate it. Is there like any precautions, like things i should keep in mind? I don't want to end up breaking the damn thing. But i see you have a lot of experience in the field, like i aint doubting you or anything, just being a bit too cautious.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maz7006 said:
Good score.

I got my 40GB PS3 like 3 days ago, i'm loving it, do you have any advice for the dust, it really is freaking me out after reading your post. I'm guessing a good vacuum from time to time will do the trick ?

CRAP NO! Don't for FLIP sake use a Vacuum near any internal hardware of ANY system whether it being PC or gaming console! .....

ITS VERY BAD FOR THEM!

I cannot stress that anymore!!!!!!!!!

Reason the Airflow over the end of a Vacuum nozzle creates static and static usually = death for microprocessors and IC chips!

As above use Canned Air! ..you CAN however hold the Vacuum a good few inches above the area you are jetting out with the canned air to collect the dirt and dust blown into the air from the cleaning process!

@CyberFish Nice bargain you got there mate! ..Maby you should sell the 40 for a nice tidy price and invest in another with BluRay not working 60gb and cash in like they do with RROD 360's
smile.gif

CyberFish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
Maz7006 said:
Good score.

CRAP NO! Don't for FLIP sake use a Vacuum near any internal hardware of ANY system whether it being PC or gaming console! .....

ITS VERY BAD FOR THEM!

I cannot stress that anymore!!!!!!!!!

Reason the Airflow over the end of a Vacuum nozzle creates static and static usually = death for microprocessors and IC chips!

As above use Canned Air! ..you CAN however hold the Vacuum a good few inches above the area you are jetting out with the canned air to collect the dirt and dust blown into the air from the cleaning process!

@CyberFish Nice bargain you got there mate! ..Maby you should sell the 40 for a nice tidy price and invest in another with BluRay not working 60gb and cash in like they do with RROD 360's
smile.gif

Definatly agree. I wouldnt use a vaccum. I wouldnt even be comfortable about using it to get the dust. I actually took mine outside and did it on the table on my patio. LOL.

I actually have thought about doing that. I could probably break even selling my 40 gig. Ive been searching ebay for broken ones to get an average price for broken and working ones to see if any kind of profit could be turned. Even a $50 profit for doing something like this isnt bad. Keeps me busy and make a couple bucks.

CyberFish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple other things to keep in mind if/when you take it apart. Keep close track of your screws. When I remove the top part that exposes everything, I lay the screws down in the order I removed them cause they are not all the same length. I then put them in the cover where I got them and put that to the side until I am ready to reinstall.

If you remove the Blue Ray drive, there is a power cord on the left side, and a ribbon under it towards the right. Remove the power cord, and lift up and to the right. Then with your fingernail flip the little black holder as gently as you can to not break it, but not gentle enough to not get it.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CyberFish said:
A couple other things to keep in mind if/when you take it apart. Keep close track of your screws. When I remove the top part that exposes everything, I lay the screws down in the order I removed them cause they are not all the same length. I then put them in the cover where I got them and put that to the side until I am ready to reinstall.

If you remove the Blue Ray drive, there is a power cord on the left side, and a ribbon under it towards the right. Remove the power cord, and lift up and to the right. Then with your fingernail flip the little black holder as gently as you can to not break it, but not gentle enough to not get it.

Thanks a lot i appreciate it
biggrin.gif

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a free V3 PS2 yesterday, all I had to do was clean the lens, whoop, too bad the day before that I blew up the laser for a V12 PSTwo trying to install the Matrix PIC fix. Just put another lens on order and thinking about also getting a RS2005FS driver IC, sigh
frown.gif

A note about the vacuum, although its not as good as removing dust and dirt as a air compressor, as long as the hose and ends are plastic you won't damage anything unless you actually hit a chip or knock something off the board. I've been using vacuums for over 10 yrs on electronics and never had a issue with vacuuming out chassis of TV's, DVD's, VCR's, Stereo's, Computer's, and Console's + more. I usually like the hose with the bristle attachment because it can remove some hard to get dust that air compressors can't touch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16