Hacking SCDS2 SFC/SNES EMU .CHT Files Needed!!

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydians cht file said:
[Power]
Small=19,00
Big=19,01
Cape=19,02
Fire=19,03

[GameInfo]
Name=Super Mario World
System=SFC
Text=lolwut

Does the text I bolded actually mean anythng to the Emulator? I know what lolwut means, but would that text appear somewhere in the emulator?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a DSTwo, so I don't know if it would show up or not. It IS a note/description area (the sample file talks about one of the codes might cause a lockup in-game), but I don't know if it's be displayed or not.

It's contents don't technically matter (which is why I replaced it with lolwut), I just want to see if it's existence does.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
I don't have a DSTwo, so I don't know if it would show up or not. It IS a note/description area (the sample file talks about one of the codes might cause a lockup in-game), but I don't know if it's be displayed or not.

It's contents don't technically matter (which is why I replaced it with lolwut), I just want to see if it's existence does.

I added 'lolwut' to the .cht file and replaced what was previously there and it ceased to work...

EDIT: Actually, ALL the cheats have stopped working! I don't know why...

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Alright, I just uploaded version 5, tell me if that works, and also try the score codes. If number 1 doesn't change the score, tell me if number 2 does.

Nothing worked at all. ALL cheats seem to have stopped working. Something is not well with my DSTwo...

EDIT: Sorted it somehow... Anyway, your 1st score cheat, 2nd option, changed my score to, 327680!

EDIT2: It appears that trying to change cheats while a ROM is running will freeze the DS, causing you to restart it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so the first score code gives you multiple options? Odd, then I guess ON doesn't work the way I guessed originally. Anyways tell me if the second score code changes it (and to what it changes it to).

Also try cheat files 5 and 6, tell me which ones work.

After that only one more test before I should be able to make newbie-friendly conversion instructions.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Ah, so the first score code gives you multiple options? Odd, then I guess ON doesn't work the way I guessed originally. Anyways tell me if the second score code changes it (and to what it changes it to).

After that only one more test before I should be able to make newbie-friendly conversion instructions.

Found a rather serious bug in the cheating menu... When you have cheats active and try to change them while the ROM is running, the DS will freeze as I mentioned. However, after a restart, the DSTwo snes emu does not apply any of the cheats, I have to replace the .cht file on my SD card. I'm testing your files, Rydian, just a bit slower than I'd like to due to working out what caused this bug.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:

Using cheat file version 5, the only score code that worked was code 1, option 2. The rest did nothing. Apart from freeze my DS when I pushed Start.

Cheat code version 6 is the same. The cheats all work in the same way, except the ones that don't work, but they don't work in the same way. Basically the same outcome as using cheat code version 5.

The 'Power' code and item box codes work well on versions 5 and 6.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Alright, if file five worked at all then my formatting for code files in general is correct (though the values may need to be changed for other game "types", perhaps ones with an addon chip).

The issue with the score code sort of annoys me, as it's one of the codes that changes multiple values at once (since the score can be a really high number), but from checking other codes I think I've got it...

And it really is the exact same format (value-wise) as GBA cheats. :\ Hunh.

Anyways.

Uploaded number 7, see if that one works at all and tell me if the score code works. If so, then that's a working file example without the chinese in it, which is going to be much simpler to work with.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Alright, if file five worked at all then my formatting for code files in general is correct (though the values may need to be changed for other game "types", perhaps ones with an addon chip).

The issue with the score code sort of annoys me, as it's one of the codes that changes multiple values at once (since the score can be a really high number), but from checking other codes I think I've got it...

And it really is the exact same format (value-wise) as GBA cheats. :\ Hunh.

Anyways.

Uploaded number 7, see if that one works at all and tell me if the score code works. If so, then that's a working file example without the chinese in it, which is going to be much simpler to work with.

Hmm...

Cheat code version 7 - Score code 1, option 1 = Nothing. Option 2 = A score of 327600. Option 3 = Nothing.
Score code 2 = Nothing.
All the other cheats in file version 7 work as they did before.

Good work, Rydian! Although AW seems to be AWOL now
laugh.gif

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Awesome, now to just get multi-address codes working properly.

Number 8's up there with a minor edit to score code 2.

Also does the item box modifier work?

Codes version 8...

Item box modifier works perfectly.
Score code 1, option 1 = Nothing. Option 2 = 327600. Option 3 = Nothing.
Score Code 2 = Nothing.

Power and Item box modifiers = Perfect!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's just adapting SNES PAR codes to the GBA CHT format, trial and error. Somebody from the CCC that's done any SNES coding would have been able to do it instantly, I'm fumbling around 'cause I've never messed with anything beyond the SNES.

I'm still a little concerned about codes that start with something other than 7E, as those modify ROM banks instead of RAM... the only time you really see these is in PAR codes that were converted from game genie codes (as the game genie modifies ROM instead of RAM), but it's likely there are people who want to use some of these.

For example 00D7A601 is the PAR equal of the "mega jump" game genie code, but I've no clue how to translate that into the current CHT format... but I can try.

I just updated the single file that's left (since it's finally in the proper format now) with the test.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
It's just adapting SNES PAR codes to the GBA CHT format, trial and error. Somebody from the CCC that's done any SNES coding would have been able to do it instantly, I'm fumbling around 'cause I've never messed with anything beyond the SNES.

I'm still a little concerned about codes that start with something other than 7E, as those modify ROM banks instead of RAM... the only time you really see these is in PAR codes that were converted from game genie codes (as the game genie modifies ROM instead of RAM), but it's likely there are people who want to use some of these.

For example 00D7A601 is the PAR equal of the "mega jump" game genie code, but I've no clue how to translate that into the current CHT format... but I can try.

I just updated the single file that's left (since it's finally in the proper format now) with the test.

This is what I was trying to do when you came along with a working .cht file. I had no joy whatsoever. While I'm pretty good at finding cheats, I'm not entirely sure which type of codes do what to what memory. I will test your new .cht file and see what you've changed..

EDIT: Mega Jump code DOESN'T WORK. Item box modifier WORKS. Score modifier code DOESN'T WORK. Power code WORKS.

However, when I applied all the codes at the same time, only the Power code worked.

EDIT2: The Item Box modifier code doesn't work for the 1-up. It works for the Star and red coin though.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I guess it's just for RAM modification then.

I'll wait to see what Another World says about the findings.

To sum it up: the current file here works.
http://rydian.net/hosting/cht/dstwo/
It's plaintext, and is in a form of...

Code:
[Code Name Here]
Option 1=ADDR,VALUE
Option 2=ADDR,VALUE
Option 3=ADDR,VALUE

[Code that changes more than one address]
Option 1=ADDR1,VALUE1;ADDR2,VALUE2;ADDR3,VALUE3

[GameInfo]
Name=Game name, not sure if it matters.
System=SFC
Text=Notes here.

If they give the go-ahead I'll make a guide on converting PAR codes to this format, I just don't want to waste my effort if it's not needed (since I'd want to color-code stuff to make it visually clear) if there's already some converter or if somebody makes one up (like Cracker might). I could possibly make an online converter, but I don't really like hosting stuff longer than I need to.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Alright, I guess it's just for RAM modification then.

I'll wait to see what Another World says about the findings.

To sum it up: the current file here works.
http://rydian.net/hosting/cht/dstwo/
It's plaintext, and is in a form of...

Code:
[Code Name Here]
Option 1=ADDR,VALUE
Option 2=ADDR,VALUE
Option 3=ADDR,VALUE

[Code that changes more than one address]
Option 1=ADDR1,VALUE1;ADDR2,VALUE2;ADDR3,VALUE3

[GameInfo]
Name=Game name, not sure if it matters.
System=SFC
Text=Notes here.

If they give the go-ahead I'll make a guide on converting PAR codes to this format, I just don't want to waste my effort if it's not needed (since I'd want to color-code stuff to make it visually clear) if there's already some converter or if somebody makes one up (like Cracker might). I could possibly make an online converter, but I don't really like hosting stuff longer than I need to.

I salute you! Now that there's a definitive way to use .cht files and you've supplied a template, I might just make a few .cht files for more popular games.
I can do that later as my girlfriend is giving me the screwface now cuz I've hijacked the DS all day just to test cheats... She is not happy!
laugh.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
hey sorry guys it was almost 5am when i revived this thread, i had to get to bed at some point. so from what i've read the snes9x format is not correct, the engine is using the GBA format from their GBA EMU? so that means they simply copied most of the code to the SFC EMU and adapted it? i'm a bit upset because i was told directly from their marketing manager that he asked the team and you need snes9x codes output by the emucheat application. i was unable to get that thing to write out anything as it never saw that my snes9x copy was running nor did it give me an option to save a .cht as i could not pick "super famicom/super nintendo" from the list (the list was blank).

so by trial and error you have provided for us a template. rydian, your work would not be vain. anything you want to do, please do. i will host all of the information in the SFC EMU supplement that i am working on. i am currently in the "testing" phase so i'm looking at maybe 3-5 more days before i publish it. if you want to do anything like write a guide or make more cheats then please do so. i would appreciate as much information as you can provide for the review.

thank you both for helping each other and working this out. gbatemp is again first to do something =).

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.