Hacking SCDS1 New Packaging

decayed.cell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys on September 1 they announced that they would be shipping out SCDS1s with new packaging, I've managed to get one with the new packaging.

Old on the left, new on the right. As you can see it is now a box instead of book style packaging

Only thing different on the back is the inclusion of the please recycle logo and CE certification

More changes on the inside, old on the bottom, new at the top. There is now a new microSD reader which feels a bit more solid and a fancy new manual that is gloss coated and folds out with different languages (original only had a piece of card with chinese and english instructions). CD remains the same

The older SCDS1 I have is a different colour and features the wedge on the side. New SCDS1 has a lighter white colour and new "teeth". As you can see it more closely matches a real cart in shape. Some people already have the version without the wedge

My newer SCDS1 also seems to have a different microSD loader which is a bit more sturdy - when you put in the microSD it'll click and catch the microSD before you push it in. Likewise, when you push it to eject it won't fly out but get caught half way. My older SCDS1 didn't "catch" the microSD as well and feels a lot more flimsy.

I've also noticed that the new SCDS1 has a smaller bulge in the centre

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the looks of it I think the new packaging is interior only?

I just took a picture of my supercard boxes.
One SupercardV2, three SupercardV3's. One box is a Supercard OS.
Also, those are just different batches of cards. All mine have teeth and no wedge.
Here's the pics
Fronts:
IMG00600.jpg

Backs:
IMG00601.jpg

decayed.cell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh and I forgot to mention one thing, it now has a new microSD loader on the back of the card - it'll actually lock the card halfway in before you insert, so that also means when you eject the microSD it won't fly out but just catch it instead

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey thanks for the cool news - made a topic about it on the Portal
happy.gif

Do you mind telling us where we might be able to purchase one of the new batches of the SC DS One v3?

decayed.cell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
JPH said:
Hey thanks for the cool news - made a topic about it on the Portal
happy.gif

Do you mind telling us where we might be able to purchase one of the new batches of the SC DS One v3?
I just got it from my usual supplier who sells on Oztion. There seems to be another seller who sells the new version too. I just contact my supplier directly though at [email protected]

EDIT: Also you said on the portal page that there is now a wedge, there is no wedge on my new card. I've also seen other people without the new packaging have SCDS1s without the wedge too

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like I received the new SCDS1 from DX yesterday. I thought it looked weird when I saw my black micro sd reader.

decayed.cell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
I just ordered mine from DealExtreme yesterday, so do I assume correctly that I should get this new model? And did it remove the spring?
Its still spring loaded, but its a lot sturdier now

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Well, I bought a SCDS1 about 3 months ago from dealextreme, the one I got is a combination of whats in the main post

packaging: Bookstyle packaging
Cart: New one without a wedge, with teeth, and light white color

So maybe the new packaging is the exterior box only? and the cart was redesigned before

decayed.cell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
madridi4ever said:
Well, I bought a SCDS1 about 3 months ago from dealextreme, the one I got is a combination of whats in the main post

packaging: Bookstyle packaging
Cart: New one without a wedge, with teeth, and light white color

So maybe the new packaging is the exterior box only? and the cart was redesigned before
They must have a lot of different batches. And they did change the microSD reader this time too

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've got one of these new fancy SCDS One with teeth with the old packaging (and the old microSD reader) like 2 months ago.
I've got 2 old ones (for some friends of mine) and a new one.

I took the new one for me
smile.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
thieves like us said:
does the SCDS1 have a chip on the backside of the pcb meaning that the top half of the shell has a big hole which is hidden by the sticker? it sort of appears that way from the image of the front of cart.
Yep, but it's barely noticeable.

D

Deleted User

GOD DAMN IT! Anyone wanna trade their new SCDS ONE SDHC v3 for my older v3? I really want one with teeth and a better microSD slot.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TeenDev said:
GOD DAMN IT! Anyone wanna trade their new SCDS ONE SDHC v3 for my older v3? I really want one with teeth and a better microSD slot.
I want to if you pay me $100+
nyanya.gif

I have the new one
grog.gif

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE THE OLD ONE!!! I JUST GOT IT A FEW WEEKS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT2: What the?!? I have the old box but my SCD1 has the "teeth"
wacko.gif

EDIT3: Oh well... The microSD loader isn't that much. Can't you open it up and add a better microSD loader?

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cool. I plan to pick one up sometime this month, a redesign that helps the structure is certainly icing on the cake. (Were there any major flaws with the other design?)

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The plastic shell on the SCDS1 SDHC (v3) that I purchased in December/2007 looks exactly like the one that is supposed to be the "newer" version.

My sticker OTOH looks like the old one with the more sharply curved corners on the left side of the D, and it fits snugly into slot-1.

Can't speak as to how much the chip sticks up as I have no other slot-1 SCDS1s to compare with.

Also, I have the older pictured USB TF reader.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
New microSD/microSDHC reader - Yes
New packaging - Yes
New cart-design - No, they just reverted to an older design.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1