Hacking Saving games with Gateway

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what doesn't make sense... I save in-game... and then I do the Home + X... I get a message saying it doesn't save.

But other games, I get the message saying that it's saving.
I'm guessing the other games are Mario ones? Because I believe some Nintendo games save when you shut it down in addition to manual saving. I just tried using home + x with Kirby, and I never got any kind of message like that.

moonknight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm guessing the other games are Mario ones? Because I believe some Nintendo games save when you shut it down in addition to manual saving. I just tried using home + x with Kirby, and I never got any kind of message like that.

But do you get the same message for every game? Or does some games say "Saving and closing" and some games just say "Closing"

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But do you get the same message for every game? Or does some games say "Saving and closing" and some games just say "Closing"
I don't play Nintendo-made games, so it always just says "Closing" for me. That message is from the console, not the Gateway. You'd still see the same exact messages if you were using retail carts. So long as it actually saves, I wouldn't pay attention or care about what it says.

moonknight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't play Nintendo-made games, so it always just says "Closing" for me. That message is from the console, not the Gateway. You'd still see the same exact messages if you were using retail carts. So long as it actually saves, I wouldn't pay attention or care about what it says.

Yeah, I'm just curious more than anything. The thing is MK7 and Zelda OoT are both Nintendo-made games right? But they say different things when pressing Home + X... so I honestly don't know anymore..

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Home + X is how you should save. When gateway was talking about fixing saving issues, they meant when the battery ran dry, or manual powering down with the power button.
Is it tested that if the battery runs dry the save won't fuck up anymore?

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it tested that if the battery runs dry the save won't fuck up anymore?

A couple people have tested it, but I personally save my games and exit to home menu if I know I won't be playing my 3DS within an hour or 2 of closing it. Losing some cart unlockables in MK7 and then ~3 hours in A Link Between Worlds (I swear, my pockets love ejecting game carts) has made me keen on the better safe than sorry out look.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A couple people have tested it, but I personally save my games and exit to home menu if I know I won't be playing my 3DS within an hour or 2 of closing it. Losing some cart unlockables in MK7 and then ~3 hours in A Link Between Worlds (I swear, my pockets love ejecting game carts) has made me keen on the better safe than sorry out look.
Yeah, my bag sometimes ejects my card too, so I made that a routine too. Would still be good if they implemented some timer to avoid that, but oh well.

Reactions: Abcdfv

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, my bag sometimes ejects my card too, so I made that a routine too. Would still be good if they implemented some timer to avoid that, but oh well.

The only thing I can think is that either it's more complicated than just making push the save to SD every time, or they have some reason for not doing that. Given they got multirom, card2, and 7.x encrypted games working, I don't see any other reasons.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @HiradeGirl, Hi