Save speeds on Pokemon SS

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by jringo718, Mar 20, 2010.

Mar 20, 2010

Save speeds on Pokemon SS by jringo718 at 12:20 AM (1,107 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. jringo718
    OP

Newcomer jringo718 Member

United States
    Hey, I don't know if this is just me or its normal, but I have been playing SS without any freezes for 2-3 hours now, but whenever I save it takes about 20 sometimes 30 seconds to save. I tried consecutively saving 20 times in a row, and each time it was atleast 15-20 seconds except for one time it saved as fast as the Platinum original cart (3-5 seconds).

I am wondering if its my A2i or my 1 GB Kingston MicroSD or just that the actual official cart is like this as well... This occurs whether I formatted the card FAT16/32 through Windows Vista/7 as well as the Panasonic formatter. Also my 16 GB microsd just doesn't work at all, even with the EXACT same files on both cards, the 16 GB gives me the "system file is missing" error, but I am not too concerned with the 16GB, its just that I have no other MicroSD atm to test this, and if this is normal, I wouldn't be bothered.

2. kineticUk

Member kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    My pokemon platinum takes a similar time to save on my RPG and I use a kingston sd card.
    Never had any problems playing the game though and it saves...just noticed it taking longer than with earlier 1.4.1 version. I didn't know it was related to kingston sd cards...never crossed my mind.

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I'm going to say it's your Kingston card.
    It's probably a Class 2 from China (or maybe Taiwan).

4. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Memory is definately the issue here. Saving on flashcarts is usually a lot faster than saving on the original games, if it turns the other way around then you have a serious memory speed issue. Format the memory with FAT16(also known as regular FAT) and 64K cluster size. This is the fastest filesystem.

5. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    My retail SS does the same thing

6. jringo718
    OP

United States
    Thank you guys for the tips, I am also trying what Serinox said, and changing the cluster size to 64k with FAT.

Also my Kingston card never failed me before when I used to use it in my R4 and M3 Simply. Perhaps its just worn itself out now. BTW my Kingston is the one from Japan, I made sure I got the Japanese one as opposed to the one from Taiwan.

7. Nikolay

Member Nikolay GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It took around 10 - 15 seconds to save on the no$gba emulator for me.

8. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    It's got nothing to do with the MicroSD. As I said before, my retail cart does the same thing.

9. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Weird... takes ~3 seconds tops to save on my R4 with an OLD 1GB Sandisk from Japan...

10. jringo718
    OP

United States
    Yeah he is correct. I just found my very old 1GB Sandisk and DAMN its 1-2 seconds now, this is awesome. That 15-30 seconds was killing me. Thanks everyone again for helping me realize it was the microSD