save problem with Gateway 2.0b1

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by udo4ever, Dec 2, 2013.

1. udo4ever
    OP

udo4ever Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2007
    Canada
    I know I posted this earlier in the questions answered thread for 2.0 but I just wanted to make sure those who are struggling with this problem see this.

Basically, some people have had a problem with saving in Zelda:ALBW. When the exit to the home meny and press "x" the 3ds hangs for them. This problem can easily be solved if you simply update your emunand. I tested this already but my problem was with Batman:blackgate and Zelda. In both cases they hanged when my emunand was on 4.2 firmware but were perfect when on 6.3 firmware.

I hope this helps!

DisasterTheory likes this.

2. ridiucle

ridiucle Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2013
    this dosnt fix it does the same thing anyway

f0rCe likes this.
  3. Railgun

Railgun ( ' _ ' )

Feb 20, 2006
    Gambia, The
    GBAtemp City
    Doesnt fix it for me aswell, because the first thing I did with my new emuNAND backup was to update it. Sometimes saving works, sometimes not. It's not reliable at the moment.

4. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    It still saves it doesn't it. The fact that it hangs after closing it after a save doesn't actually mean the save failed.

5. ridiucle

ridiucle Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2013
    this is exactly the same situation
    sometimes it works sometimes it does

6. RowanDDR

RowanDDR SNES Lover

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    I've never had a problem with Zelda saving. Before emunand update it saved fine (FW 4.5), and still saves fine after updating emunand to latest 6.x FW.

Edit: FWIW, I always boot via the Gateway GUI (i.e. holding L then selected GW mode). I did this both before and after I updated the emunand to 6.x. I've not actually tried the "old" method (not holding L) with GW 2.0b1.

7. Railgun

Railgun ( ' _ ' )

Feb 20, 2006
    Gambia, The
    GBAtemp City
    Booting into GW-Mode without entering GW-Menu (where you can backup NAND, etc.) first, is giving me the most problems with saving in Zelda.
    But when I enter the GW-Menu first, it saves without problems. oO
    GW-Mode with booting GW-Menu first: 3/3 times I was able to save.
    GW-Mode without booting GW-Menu first: 1/3 times I was able to save correctly.

8. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    this is what works for me after a lot of hang ups.

in order to get you progress REALLY saved.

1) Go to the saving bird statues>save the game.
    2) right after that, hit start and go to the main menu.
    3) in the main menu, hit home>X>A. And exit the game.

info: my physical nand is in 4.5, running on emunand 4.5 with european rom in american console

9. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    So I guess it won't freeze if you save in EmuNAND mode.

10. Railgun

Railgun ( ' _ ' )

Feb 20, 2006
    Gambia, The
    GBAtemp City
    Well, i should have mentioned that im playing it on the EmuNAND Mode (Updated to 6.3). But entering it without booting into the GW-Menu first, will give me problems saving the game.

11. Duo8

Jul 16, 2013
    IIRC you can't enter EmuNAND without entering GW menu. You will boot in Classic mode (4.5).

12. Pierpy89

Pierpy89 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2007
    Italy
    Nope. You can!

From gateway release log:

But I agree that, this procedure is a bit bugged...

13. Railgun

Railgun ( ' _ ' )

Feb 20, 2006
    Gambia, The
    GBAtemp City
    "Booting into Gateway mode will now automatically check for the emuNAND partition and emulate the system NAND using this partition."

Thats what the Gateway Team wrote. I assume that if you hit the DS-Settings-Button without holding "L" it should boot into the EmuNAND GW-Mode, not the Classic-Mode.

14. Duo8

Jul 16, 2013
    So I got that the other way around? You boot into Classic with the menu?

15. clubmaster

clubmaster Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Guess the emuNAND mode now is the preferred/default one.

If there's a emuNAND partition it boots into it. Without it should fallback to the classic GW-Mode. Pressing L-Button allows manually choosing between the modes.

E: thanks for the clarification Cyan

16. sonic2756

sonic2756 Friendly Neighborhood Wolf

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    Game has been saving fine for me while in emuNAND. Just make sure you save, press start, go back to the main menu (in ALBW), then follow the normal saving procedure. Haven't had one problem following that method.

17. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Don't mix the terms.
    Gateway doesn't fallback to classic if it doesn't find the EmuNAND Partition. It falls back to GateWay Real NAND.

There are 3 different modes:

- Gateway on Real NAND (play ROMs): Boot in gateway cartridge mode, using Real NAND, because you don't have an EmuNAND partition on SD card. (this is what v1.x did)
    - Gateway on EmuNAND (play ROMs): Boot in gateway cartridge mode, always load the EmuNAND partition detected on SD card.
    - Gateway Classic on EmuNAND (DOESN'T play ROMS): Gateway Cartridge doesn't work, always load the EmuNAND partition detected on SD Card. This "Classic" mode allows users to play from Retail Cards using EmuNAND. (this mode can be used to play Pokemon and Animal Crossing with Retail cartridges).

Maybe a 4th mode?
    Gateway Classic on Real NAND? is that really useful/working? maybe it doesn't even patch anything if it doesn't detect the EmuNAND partition.

18. Eyesenish

Eyesenish GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    i see alot of poeple having problems with save with zelda ,is it possible that theres just a bad rom on the net somewhere and that causes crashing when quitting game?

19. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    Problem with saving caused by not giving the gateway save hook enough time to write the stuff to the sdcard. Press home, wait ten seconds, then you can be sure it has saved properly. It won't hang on exit then either (the hang is probably caused by a deadlock when the gateway thread is still accessing some stuff while your pressing of exit is closing down the game)

20. mmfsm

mmfsm Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2013
    Mexico
    can anyone confirm this?, because the with/without emunand explanations are not legit