Save games on HDD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JerryMLilly, Jan 16, 2012.

Jan 16, 2012

Save games on HDD? by JerryMLilly at 4:50 PM (9,162 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. JerryMLilly
    OP

Newcomer JerryMLilly Member

United States
    Sorry if wrong thread but this seemed right.

I have my games backed up to an HDD. I partition the drive but not sure for what. I think all my games are still saving to the wii. How can I change it to save to the HDD? For instance, skyward sword saves. Or can I do that?

Thanks

2. chaosdarkneo

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hmmm... there might be an option to do this in WiiFlow.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe WiiFlow does have memory card emulation (save games elsewhere)

Try it out.

3. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    You can save to HDD or SD by using an USBloader capable or "Partial Nand Emulation".
    It redirects the Nand part which is used to read/write the save files to the path you want on your SD or USB.

I think Wiiflow and USBLoaderGX are both compatible.

In USBLoaderGX:
    - You need the latest beta (the latest official version 2.3 doesn't have this option).
    - You need d2x v8 beta2 (r41)

- Once in USBloaderGX, you can define the path to your emulated nand :
    settings > page 3 > user paths > EmuNand path : SD:\nand\
    This is the default path, you can define another one, but SD is a very good choice.

- Then you can extract the existing saves from your Wii to your emulated NAND. You have two choices:
    * One by one : Go into each game settings, there's a button "extract save game to EmuNand"
    * All your saves at once : Go into the main Settings > Features > Extract Saves to EmuNand.

- Then, to tell the USBloader to read and write the saves from the Emulated Nand Path instead of your real Wii's Nand, you also have two choices:
    * One by One: on a game by game basis, you go into the game settings > Loader settings > set "Nand Emulation" to "Partial".
    * All of them: Go into the main Settings > Loader settings > set "Nand Emulation (save)" to "Partial"

Play your game :)
    It will save to the SD card.

NOTE:
    This will only redirect the savegame access to the SD.
    If, for example you are using your SD on someone else's Wii, it will use the friend's Wii data for everything else: Mii, Internet settings, Video settings, etc.

If you want to use all your own settings on the SD card, you need to make a full NAND dump, and set the games to use "Full" instead of "Partial".
    The full nand dump can be done from : Settings > Features > Nand Dump.

Attention:
    - Not all games are working in Full nand Emulation. (Zelda Skyward Sword, for example)
    - You need to use your own Wiimote if you play on someone else's Wii, as it will have your Wiimote synch info.

Information:
    There's a second Nand path in the settings: "Nand Path Channel"
    That path require a full nand dump to work. It's used to list and launch all installed channels on the emulated Nand.

The two options are separated if you decide to have an "empty nand" for the save games only, and a full nand for channels only.
    But as default, they are using the same path and work fine using the same Nand dump.

4. chaosdarkneo

United States
    A lot more detailed and correct.

Listen to Cyan, he's literally the go-to guy on most of this stuff.

5. Cyan

France
    I like to detail and explain as best as possible (when I can and have time to do it) :teach:

6. JerryMLilly
    OP

Newcomer JerryMLilly Member

United States
    Well, I am using Cfg USB Loader and forwarder. Can it be completed with cfg usb loader?

7. chaosdarkneo

United States
    I'm not sure if it can...

It doesn't seem it can.

Sorry :/

8. Cyan

France
    Cfg Loader doesn't support Nand emulation (yet?).
    So, for the moment you have to use Wiiflow or GX.
    Maybe even neogamma? I think it works with nand emu, but I don't know if it support partial nand emu.

9. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Yeah, CFG does not support NAND emu... Its a bit silly they havnt added it yet.. Is it even still being developed? Not that it matters all that much, as CFG is pretty much "complete" apart from the NAND emu imo.

10. mstanka

Newcomer mstanka Newbie

United States
    Hi. I also wanted to try this. I have the latest USB loader gx beta and d2x v8 r41 (249 as 56 and 250 as 57). I was able to get it to create the save file on the hdd and also was able to dump the save to the hdd as above info stated. It works fine for the game I tested (Super Paper Mario). The only problem is when I end the game using " partial" it will go back to the system menu not the USB loader like before. I did not try "full" because not interested.

I read the change log of the d2x and it indicated that this version fixed this behavior.

Am I missing something? Can this be done with partial and load back to the loader and not the system menu?

Thanks for any help.

11. GIngaRanga

Newcomer GIngaRanga Member

Canada

How do you do this for virtual Wii?

12. GreyWolf

Member GreyWolf GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It's the same.