Save data after removing and reinstalling .cia

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kibido, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Kibido
    OP

Kibido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    I need to delete the .cia of a game and install it again because reasons. Will my save data remain? Or will it be incompatible once I install the new .cia, making me start over? Thank you.

2. Scarlet

Scarlet It Was Me All Along

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Uninstalling a CIA destroys your save data with it as far as I know. Use SaveDataFiler or some other save manager tool to back it up before and restore it after you've reinstalled.

3. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    when uninstalling any installed game , they ask you if you want to remove the game with the save or just the game
    you can remove the game alone , there is an option to back up Digital/cia games on 3DS

but , if you installed the same game from another region , it mostly won't be compatible with the old save

4. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    MHX saves on the SD card so removing and reinstalling doesn't affect the save. Fantasy Life does too but I'm not sure if that works.

Otherwise, uninstalling other cia files will remove the savegame since it's stuck with the cia.

5. Kibido
    OP

Kibido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    lol how did you figure out I was talking about MHX? It's not even for me actually, I'm asking for a friend who can't patch it with NTR.

Thank you for the replies everyone, much appreciated.