Save and restore your amiibos on Android

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by pokasmax, Nov 14, 2015.

1. pokasmax
    OP

pokasmax Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    France
    Hey everyone,

I did not participate in any thread but the tips, hacks, tools from the community often helped me. It is now my turn to give the community something you could have interest in.

The app is currently only made for Android (through a direct download). It lets you save and restore your amiibos very easily. Not available on the Play Store and will NEVER be ! (No need to explain I suppose :) )

- No limits ! (well, it is not a NTAG215 emulation which is well... impossible for now using the current android hardwares - any different info? Please PM me ;) )

- Store the data onto your Google Drive (if you have the Play Store and play services already installed on your device)

- Very simple to use : scan amiibos using the "+" button, save the amiibo or restore it through your saved ones.

- Open Source. Download directly the apk from the website or compile the source once the repo cloned ;) And transparency, the app is using some libraries to help manage the data internally and some to manage statistics and crash reports.

Any ideas ? Any issues? > Please PM me

Direct link : http://amiibo.codlab.eu/amiibo.apk
    Github : https://github.com/codlab/amiibo

Hey final note ! There is also a server part... It is only to serve basic data (updates of the available amiibos etc...). If you have any idea or want to participate into this part to, it's a pleasure :)

2. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    If you make it correctly it should work with any NFC device, so you should be able to submit it.

3. pokasmax
    OP

pokasmax Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    France
    absolutely but for legal reasons, submitting the app could lead to a rejection due to IP infringement

4. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Put it on Aptoide.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Can you restore an Amiibo backup onto a different type of Amiibo? That would be pretty cool if possible :D
    Also, would it be possible to buy cheap NFC tags and write Amiibo onto them with this? (and if yes, any info on what type NFC tag/where I could buy them?)
    Anyways, nice work.

6. pokasmax
    OP

pokasmax Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    France
    I did not try for now the save / restore onto different amiibos but as far as I read from the various documentations available. Nothing is set to a specific amiibo (UUID, etc...) so you should be able to save a Gold Mario and restore it on an other one. But note that it impossible to do so on a Toad for instance. It is, at least, bind to the amiibo type

Edit : if you can find NTAG125 Chip with the right amount of pages and the support for PWD and PACK, well, yes you can duplicate completely and easily an amiibo

7. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Any plans to make the app able to directly communicate with a Wii U?

8. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I have a NFC-enabled device, but I wouldn't mind seeing this app eventually emulate amiibos. Are there plans for such?

PokeAcer and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  9. pokasmax
    OP

pokasmax Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    France
    complete Amiibo emulation will not be possible for now : emulating specifically a NTAG215 is right now, unsupported by most architectures and furthermore, the access to the emulation layer APIs is blocked unless a custom firmware (and by custom firmware, it means quite lots of NFC module modifications)

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. _Tim_

_Tim_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2013
    Belgium
    With the right software you can turn any $0.38 blank NTAG215 tag into an amiibo. (proof)

11. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Where did you buy the tags? I found ones that look like that on Aliexpress.
    EDIT: And if you didn't use just this app to edit the tags, what did you use.
    EDIT2: Do you think NTAG213s would work?

@_Tim_

Last edited by PokeAcer, Dec 19, 2015
  12. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Really great app! (Thanks to this I found out that my NFC is broken...) I have a few questions:
    • How can I delete an amiibo save?
    • How can I upload it to Google Drive?
    • Can I export saves?
    • Can I restore someone else's backup?

13. logg

logg GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    United States
    Works great. Would be nice to delete/rename saves.

SomeGamer likes this.
  14. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Where are the backups stored?

15. otto888

otto888 I break things for a living.

Mar 12, 2008
    United States
    It looks like the backups are stored in the app's /data folder. You can't get them without root. It would be nice if the backups were on the user storage instead, That way I could try writing modified Amiibo data without having to root a device I'm legally not allowed to root.

Last edited by otto888, Jan 9, 2016
  16. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    @otto888 Use the amiiqo app which dumps to the root of SD.

17. otto888

Mar 12, 2008
    United States
    I've done that, but you can't write to the Amiibo with that app. If I could add the modded Amiibo backup to this app, I should be able to write it.

18. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Root your phone, or edit the sourcecode which is publicly available to write to the SD card?
    I'll see what I can get some friends to do.

SomeGamer likes this.
  19. otto888

Mar 12, 2008
    United States
    I was able to edit my ADB backup of the app data to add the hacked Amiibo data. There is a bit of extra data, but if you ignore that, it works fine.

20. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Does anyone know how to edit the UID however? And how do you get the UID for the new tag?