Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same problem here regarding Virtua Fighter Remix. I will try to simulate this in SSF.

EDIT: The character glitching also occurs in SSF.
Does this config make any difference?

The came crashes on startup with this .ini
Here is my log from the inject
Note: I had just updated the script and Saturn injector 1 minute before reopening the batch file. So everything is up to date.

Attachments

• Ultimate-Switch-Hack-Script.zip
    20.7 KB · Views: 115

lingbergh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, that's strange. I'm using Cotton2 as base. But that's the only difference. Can you extract the INI of the generated NSP using NxFileViewer? Perhaps something is missing there..."wrong" linebreaks, etc.

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, that's strange. I'm using Cotton2 as base. But that's the only difference. Can you extract the INI of the generated NSP using NxFileViewer? Perhaps something is missing there..."wrong" linebreaks, etc.
I have cotton, I can try injecting using that.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
Street Fighter Alpha 1

Attachments

• SFZ1.jpg
    SFZ1.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 73
  • SFA1.jpg
    SFA1.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: kof_k

mc711

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fullsize?? I got the custom ini from this thread.im opening it right now let me see and look at what it says.on page 64 there was a person that had shown his games in full widescreen that's why I knew it was possible. here's what my script reads before I changed widescreen to "1"
[Screen]
BilinearFiltering="1"
EnforceAspectRatioFullscreen="1"
FullSize="1"
GammaCorrection="0"
GammaCorrectionRatio="1.00"
Magnification="1.50"
Scanline="0"
ScanlineRatio="70"
WideScreen="0"

can you reply with this on how it should be set?? it's not just for me allot of ppl having problems with getting full widescreen.thanks for your help.so it should look like this??
[Screen]
BilinearFiltering="1"
EnforceAspectRatioFullscreen="0"
FullSize="1"
GammaCorrection="0"
GammaCorrectionRatio="1.00"
Magnification="1.50"
Scanline="0"
ScanlineRatio="70"
WideScreen="1"
?????????
ya just set EnforceAspectRatioFullscreen="0"
for widescreen, you can toggle on/off from the in-game menu so it isn't really necessary, but it's probably better to set WideScreen="1" if you want it on by default.

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega Saturn Tribute Compatibility Spreadsheet (WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X4iLL8J5sPMlxr_XbfZ-3f21IF9ni-otn2wwl-4hzsk/edit?usp=sharing

- Includes links to required/recommended configs. If nothing is listed, use Guardian Force's default config.
- "CPU MHz" column is the overclock you will need in handheld mode. If nothing is listed, then no overclocking is required.
- If you would like to contribute, click the "Public Sheet" tab at the bottom and add your finds there.
- If any games are flat out missing from the compatibility sheet, please make note of it within the "Public Sheet"
- The sheet is still a work-in-progress, so keep an eye out for changes on already tested games (Better config, less overclock, etc)

If there are any questions, recommendations, etc regarding the spreadsheet, feel free to reach out.

My Custom Sega Saturn NSP Icons / Covers
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_rjVgGDuTv0KTlYIRzhtCo_LBCfJXp6i?usp=sharing

BIG UPDATE!!! 4MB RAM and Stretched Widescreen is possible with a minor change to the .ini config!!!

Decrypted Configuration File

I have gone ahead and attached the decrypted .ini config, courtesy of @cucholix
download the attached "Config_Switch.zip" file, which contains the .ini file you'll need.
I would recommend editing the .ini config using Notepad++, but regular Notepad will work also.

---!!! IMPORTANT !!!---
Make sure to delete your save file after making any changes to the .ini config, otherwise the changes will not take effect!!
Additionally the .ini config will work with any of the 3 core games, you just need to rename the attached .ini config to the corresponding title.
- "Cotton2_Switch.ini"
- "CottonBoomerang_Switch.ini"
- "GuardianForce_Switch.ini"

Config Cheat Sheet
- WideScreen="0" (Widescreen OFF | DEFAULT)
- WideScreen="1" (Widescreen ON)

- CartridgeID="00" (No RAM Cartridge)
- CartridgeID="21" (Backup RAM Cartridge)
- CartridgeID="5a" (1MB RAM Cartridge | DEFAULT)
- CartridgeID="5c" (4MB RAM Cartridge)

Hiding the "Options" icon.
Thanks once again to @cucholix we are also able to hide the "Options" icon from the bottom left corner of the screen.
Attached is a "Texture.zip" file that contains the custom "Texture.tex" file you'll need.
Just simply replace the existing file in your /romfs/ folder with this one.
The options menu itself will still work upon pressing " - " on your controller.

Examples (also provided by @cucholix)
p3-png.278847

p4-png.278848

Compatibility

I've been doing some heavy testing of games and boy oh boy the results have been AWESOME!!!
Honestly blew me away with the results... everything listed was tested in HANDHELD mode, NO Overclocking.
Unless noted, I tried to play the first level/tutorial/race/etc to see how things held up.
I really look forward to other people testing more games out and hopefully someone can crack this emulator!

EDIT: Not sure if it'll matter much but every game I tested had all of it's bin files combined via CDmage (so 1 bin, 1 cue)

Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean (USA) (RE) - Perfect

Amok - Perfect

Astal (USA) - Perfect

Baku Baku Animal (USA) - Almost Perfect (Minor lag, consistently running ~50fps)

Burning Rangers (USA) - Almost Perfect (Minor lag at times, I was able to complete the tutorial no problem)

Bug! (USA) - Perfect

Bug Too! (USA) - Perfect

Bulk Slash (Japan) - Unplayable (Game hangs on black screen after start screen)

Clockwork Knight (USA) - Perfect

Clockwork Knight 2 (USA) - Unplayable (Crashes after main menu; use PAL version)

Clockwork Knight 2 (PAL) - Perfect

Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau no Fukubukuro (Japan) - CK1 Perfect / CK2 Unplayable (Crash; Use PAL Standalone)

Dark Savior - Perfect

Die Hard Arcade (USA) - Perfect

Dragon Force (USA) - Perfect

Dungeons & Dragons: Shadows Over Mystara (Japan) - Perfect

Elevator Action Returns (Japan) - Perfect

Gebockers (Japan) - Perfect

Guardian Heroes (USA) - Perfect

Gungriffon (USA) - Perfect

Keio Flying Squadron 2 (Europe) - Perfect

Legend of Oasis (USA) - Perfect

Linkle Liver Story (Japan) (English Translation) - Perfect

Loaded (USA) - Perfect

Magic Knight Rayearth (USA) - Perfect

Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001 (Japan) (Rev A) - Perfect

Mr. Bones (USA) / Mr. Bones (Japan) - Unplayable (Both regions, game hangs on black screen and never proceeds)

Night Striker S (Japan) - Perfect

NiGHTS into Dreams... (USA) (RE) - Almost Perfect (Often there is a very minor frame drop, but the only reason I even noticed is due to the audio. Otherwise, you can't even tell.)

Noon (Japan) (Rev A) - Perfect

Panzer Dragoon (USA) - Perfect

Panzer Dragoon Zwei (USA) - Perfect

Panzer Dragoon Saga (USA) (Disc 1) - Almost Perfect (Minor audio cracks at random times, I was able to play on foot & riding on the dragon without issue)

Policenauts (Japan) (English Translation) - Perfect (Emulator will not read ISO+WAV+CUE, you will need to convert to BIN+CUE. I recommend AnyBurn to accomplish this.)

Powerslave (USA) - Perfect

Radiant Silvergun (Japan) - Perfect

Rayman (USA) / Rayman (Japan) - Unplayable (Both regions have an input bug. Both in the main menu & in-game, when you press a directional key (Joystick or D-Pad, both are effected), the game responds to the input VERY rapidly, even with a very light press. It ultimately makes the game unplayable)

Sakura Wars (Japan) (English Translation) - Perfect (Emulator will not read ISO+WAV+CUE, you will need to convert to BIN+CUE. I recommend AnyBurn to accomplish this.)

Sega Ages: Power Drift - Almost Perfect (Minor Graphical issues: vehicle disappears when you're on/under a bridge)

Saturn Bomberman (USA) - Perfect

Shinrei Jusatsushi Taroumaru (Japan) - Perfect

Sonic 3D Blast (USA) - Perfect

Sonic Jam (USA) - Unplayable (Crashes at "Press Start" screen)

Sonic R (USA) - Almost Perfect (Minor audio cracks at random times, I was able to finish a race with no issues.)

Steamgear Mash (Japan) - Perfect

Three Dirty Dwarves (USA) - Unplayable (Have to button mash Start+C to get past main menu, game crashes when the stage is 99% loaded)

Virtua Fighter 2 (USA) (RE) - Somewhat Playable (The game has a consistent amount of slowdown it seems, I would say it's in the 40-50fps range if I had to guess)

Virtual On: Cyber Troopers (USA) - Perfect? (For some reason the game initially makes you confirm 2 controllers before the start screen. However you can progress as normal in single player after this. No other issues)

Willy Wombat (Japan) - Perfect
How we can delete the save file and where we can find it please?

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry nothing to add, just want to say that things sure are quiet in here now.

Actually come to think of it, I do have a question about Panzer Dragoon Saga and disc swapping.
Is using JKSV to copy and paste the save data from one NSP injection to the next, still the best method of dealing with this game's save data?

Last edited by Thorhax,

Perrito123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello sorry for being so noob I kept reading but I still don't know where is the post that shows you how to make your own nsp someone can share it? Thx and also would like to ask how can I do widescreen well not fully widescreen I mean leave 2mm black bar from both sides to keep nice aspect radio but not 4:3 like 16:10 / 16:9 thNkz

Rikua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry nothing to add, just want to say that things sure are quiet in here now.

Actually come to think of it, I do have a question about Panzer Dragoon Saga and disc swapping.
Is using JKSV to copy and paste the save data from one NSP injection to the next, still the best method of dealing with this game's save data?
You shouldn't have to do anything with the save data as long as you made each Disc (1-4) with the same TitleID. If so, then just delete Disc 1 as its save data remains on the Switch, then Install Disc 2, etc.

Last edited by Rikua,

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello sorry for being so noob I kept reading but I still don't know where is the post that shows you how to make your own nsp someone can share it? Thx and also would like to ask how can I do widescreen well not fully widescreen I mean leave 2mm black bar from both sides to keep nice aspect radio but not 4:3 like 16:10 / 16:9 thNkz
Page 74 will guide you, also post #16. Also from the important post section, just in case you don’t have the download.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ultimate-switch-hack-script.546225/

Edit
I never really disabled my anti virus, I just usually clicked to allow. So if something goes wrong the first time around because of it, hopefully you allowed for the next time you run the script.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel