Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had same error message when there were 2 bin files. This post helped me https://gbatemp.net/threads/saturn-...n-force-testing-and-debug.600756/post-9638317

It's probably safer option getting the original cue and bin file rather than reconverting it.

Thanks buddy. I think my problem is slightly different. I only have one bin file. But inside the cue there are lots of tracks. I initially thought these referred to bin files but I don't think so now. Not sure what the problem is here.

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It was the damn folder I had the game in - I named it BIN & CUE files....I do like to make life difficult for myself :wacko:

SuperS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
whenever i use the ini file of @andre_int #589 to build my nights into dreams game (using the script) i get broken save states. when i dont use an ini file, or i use the unaltered decrypted ini file everything is fine with the save states. can anyone of you more experienced people help me to narrow down what exactly is causing this problem?
i tried altering stuff in andres ini and it only made other parts in the options menu freeze. it seems like i am on the right path, but i really dont know what i am doing..
i would really like to use this amazing ini as it makes the game much more fluid than with stock settings. any ideas?

SuperS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thank you! didn't know about this github page. will try this ini tomorrow and see if it makes my situation better or worse. will report back

Reactions: Zomorph

Sm0k3r83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
would anyone be willing to share their custom Credits, Wallpaper, and Playersguide tex files, ive tried my own numerous time but no luck

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
whenever i use the ini file of @andre_int #589 to build my nights into dreams game (using the script) i get broken save states. when i dont use an ini file, or i use the unaltered decrypted ini file everything is fine with the save states. can anyone of you more experienced people help me to narrow down what exactly is causing this problem?
i tried altering stuff in andres ini and it only made other parts in the options menu freeze. it seems like i am on the right path, but i really dont know what i am doing..
i would really like to use this amazing ini as it makes the game much more fluid than with stock settings. any ideas?
Probably 4 mb ram cartridge enabled.

Reactions: cl4ssik

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
would anyone be willing to share their custom Credits, Wallpaper, and Playersguide tex files, ive tried my own numerous time but no luck
join here, i will add everything later
https://gbatemp.net/group/sega-saturn-tribute.92/info

make a list of games you want a custom boot title for (i wont be making many as i like the saturn boot logo i made)
i am remaking the Japanese Color manuals into English with some assets from art books, i wont be making more then 5 pages for each digital manual

replacements for intro, credits, wallpapers already shared in my group
feel free to use them

Last edited by ZER-O,
Reactions: Zomorph and ganons

Sm0k3r83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
join here, i will add everything later
https://gbatemp.net/forums/sega-saturn-tribute.416/

make a list of games you want a custom boot title for (i wont be making many as i like the saturn boot logo i made)
i am remaking the Japanese Color manuals into English with some assets from art books, i wont be making more then 5 pages for each digital manual

replacements for intro, credits, wallpapers already shared in my group
feel free to use them
thanks but i need permission please, and i really only play Castlevania SOTN and Virtual Hydlide

Reactions: Sidnei

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega Saturn Tribute Compatibility Spreadsheet (WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X4iLL8J5sPMlxr_XbfZ-3f21IF9ni-otn2wwl-4hzsk/edit?usp=sharing

- Includes links to required/recommended configs. If nothing is listed, use Guardian Force's default config.
- "CPU MHz" column is the overclock you will need in handheld mode. If nothing is listed, then no overclocking is required.
- If you would like to contribute, click the "Public Sheet" tab at the bottom and add your finds there.
- If any games are flat out missing from the compatibility sheet, please make note of it within the "Public Sheet"
- The sheet is still a work-in-progress, so keep an eye out for changes on already tested games (Better config, less overclock, etc)

If there are any questions, recommendations, etc regarding the spreadsheet, feel free to reach out.

Gabriel2Silva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sega Saturn Tribute Compatibility Spreadsheet (WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X4iLL8J5sPMlxr_XbfZ-3f21IF9ni-otn2wwl-4hzsk/edit?usp=sharing

- Includes links to required/recommended configs. If nothing is listed, use Guardian Force's default config.
- "CPU MHz" column is the overclock you will need in handheld mode. If nothing is listed, then no overclocking is required.
- If you would like to contribute, click the "Public Sheet" tab at the bottom and add your finds there.
- If any games are flat out missing from the compatibility sheet, please make note of it within the "Public Sheet"
- The sheet is still a work-in-progress, so keep an eye out for changes on already tested games (Better config, less overclock, etc)

If there are any questions, recommendations, etc regarding the spreadsheet, feel free to reach out.
Very nice spreadsheet! Super intuitive.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if that's relevant enough for you to write it on the spreadsheet, but Policenauts has some sound issues on voice clips. Everytime someone speaks, there's a chance there'll be some sound cracking typical of emulator slowdown (although there's no visible slowdown going on). Not game-breaking and honestly not really a big problem.

Last edited by Gabriel2Silva,
Reactions: Rikua

Rikua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice spreadsheet! Super intuitive.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if that's relevant enough for you to write it on the spreadsheet, but Policenauts has some sound issues on voice clips. Everytime someone speaks, there's a chance there'll be some sound cracking typical of emulator slowdown (although there's no visible slowdown going on). Not game-breaking and honestly not really a big problem.
Had this problem with Astal in handheld, docking or overclocking to 400 in handheld fixes it for me in Astal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16