Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Ok i finally got it how to edit image to .tex and getting it to work. Cool. But one thing i need assist. I want to add my own overlay and when i do the images sizeratio is very off. So what are the dimension of overlay so it will fit properly to the screen?
There is already some custom made that looks great but i'd like to add one more 🙂
1920x1080 made image way off.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
How can i proceed here so i can save this as .tex? Save as is not giving me option to save .tex format.
The header
Code:
00 40 00 00 01 00 10 08 2D C6 C0 00 80 07 38 04

Goes in the first line, just before "%PNG", use paste insert NO paste write.
Your file is missing the %PNG header, that's why you get black screen.

Reactions: helvetinperkeles

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The header
Code:
00 40 00 00 01 00 10 08 2D C6 C0 00 80 07 38 04

Goes in the first line, just before "%PNG", use paste insert NO paste write.
Your file is missing the %PNG header, that's why you get black screen.
That i know now and it works thanks! But the overlay is still my issue

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ok i finally got it how to edit image to .tex and getting it to work. Cool. But one thing i need assist. I want to add my own overlay and when i do the images sizeratio is very off. So what are the dimension of overlay so it will fit properly to the screen?
There is already some custom made that looks great but i'd like to add one more 🙂
1920x1080 made image way off.
Use this header instead
Code:
00 40 00 00 01 00 10 08 2D C6 C0 00 00 05 D0 02
Wallpapers are 1280x720
Max .png size is 3mb

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: helvetinperkeles

antonyfirst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
An update on this, the split vs multiple is not a factor here, but the reason you're encountering the options menu issue with save states is due to having the 4 MB RAM cartridge enabled.
Thanks! So, is there a way to disable that one, or perhaps also increase it?

MDashK

Trophies
Website
www.mixwaves.net
XP
Country
Hmm... For some reason using @shadow256 script to try to create the NSP always gives me a "garbage file" that tinfoil refuses to install, even with unsigned code installation permission... No idea where it could be failing...
If i convert the nsp to XCI using nsc_builder, it just gives error and doesn't run the xci at all...

Ok, so tried about 3 times, didn't really changed anything in the process, selected always the same files, somehow the script managed to create a NSP that was accepted to install. But when I try to run the game, the switch just says it can't run and errors out... :blink:

Last edited by MDashK,

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Aallright! Got the overlay set up also and looking pretty good if may say so 👍
Now just set these to other games aswell 🙂

Attachments

• 20211022_170723.jpg
    20211022_170723.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 81

Prb

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm... For some reason using @shadow256 script to try to create the NSP always gives me a "garbage file" that tinfoil refuses to install, even with unsigned code installation permission... No idea where it could be failing...
If i convert the nsp to XCI using nsc_builder, it just gives error and doesn't run the xci at all...

Ok, so tried about 3 times, didn't really changed anything in the process, selected always the same files, somehow the script managed to create a NSP that was accepted to install. But when I try to run the game, the switch just says it can't run and errors out... :blink:
my advice is to use GuardianForce.nsp as your base

your problem is most likely miss match main/main.npdm as you are using cotton as a base
also if you change the name of the bin file make sure you open the cue and edit to match

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Cotton2 seems to not work for now, I must rewrite the script, prefer use GuardianForce for now.

An other note, sharing the log file publicly cause problems because it contain some keys that are not recognized by some tools used and it will be difficult to fix that so if you need to share the log do it in private or delete the keys warnings of the log file. If I can I will make a tool to clean the log file of these messages. If you can delete the log file attached on your messages if you have posted it publicly.

MDashK

Trophies
Website
www.mixwaves.net
XP
Country
Cotton2 seems to not work for now, I must rewrite the script, prefer use GuardianForce for now.

An other note, sharing the log file publicly cause problems because it contain some keys that are not recognized by some tools used and it will be difficult to fix that so if you need to share the log do it in private or delete the keys warnings of the log file. If I can I will make a tool to clean the log file of these messages. If you can delete the log file attached on your messages if you have posted it publicly.
Thanks. I'll try with Guardian force then... But for now, I'm fighting with Lockpick, since it's refusing to dump my titlekeys. It dumped for Cotton 2, but now it just doesn't work... Go figure...

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good Morning,
I'm searching for working ini files for the following

Virtua Fighter 2
Marvel vs street fighter
Xmen vs street fighter

Reactions: Sidnei

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
some absolutely amazing graphics there, thank you sincerely :)

however perhaps a warning for those of us still on 2400 baud and even those on 144400 us robotics modems :rofl2:

lingbergh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Switch to DBI or GoldLeaf to install the NSP. "SSemu" is not that picky when it comes to the BIN/CUE files. At least that's what I'm observing here. So no need for merging audio tracks and shortening file names and stuff like that.
Of course the FILE entry in the .cue file has to match.
When the game crashes immediately search for another copy of the game NSP. Just save yourself the trouble in reproducing why your copy is failing. That's a real pain in the...
I nearly gave up on this before realizing that USHS always extracted the wrong NCA.

MDashK

Trophies
Website
www.mixwaves.net
XP
Country
Switch to DBI or GoldLeaf to install the NSP. "SSemu" is not that picky when it comes to the BIN/CUE files. At least that's what I'm observing here. So no need for merging audio tracks and shortening file names and stuff like that.
Of course the FILE entry in the .cue file has to match.
When the game crashes immediately search for another copy of the game NSP. Just save yourself the trouble in reproducing why your copy is failing. That's a real pain in the...
I nearly gave up on this before realizing that USHS always extracted the wrong NCA.
The issue is not in the emulator, the emulator doesn't even run, because the switch errors out right at the start, so the issue is not related to the bin/cue or any config in the SSF emulator.
I still haven't tried with guardian forces, right now i'm backing up my 128GB switch microSD, it is in exFAT, so I want to be prevented if something goes wrong or corrupts....

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Levine91 can you zip all your high res Saturn cover images into one folder and put it on MediaFire or something? These covers are cool.

some absolutely amazing graphics there, thank you sincerely :)

however perhaps a warning for those of us still on 2400 baud and even those on 144400 us robotics modems :rofl2:

From here forward I will host all of the icons within this Google Drive folder.
Again, a handful of these are not mine, but are from thecoverproject forums, so credit to those.
Additionally the template used was from them as well and I've included it within the Google Drive folder incase anyone wants to make their own.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_rjVgGDuTv0KTlYIRzhtCo_LBCfJXp6i?usp=sharing

Thanks for icons. Do you have a Golden Axe duel icon?

This is not mine but originates from thecoverproject.
I've also included it within the previously mentioned Google Drive folder.

Golden Axe COVER.png

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! So, is there a way to disable that one, or perhaps also increase it?

You'll need to edit the config.ini file "GuardianForce_Switch.ini" (or whichever game is your base)

CartridgeID="5c" needs to be changed to CartridgeID="5a"
This will change it from 4 MB RAM to 1 MB RAM

Last edited by Levine91,

MDashK

Trophies
Website
www.mixwaves.net
XP
Country
OK, so, managed to get castlevania running. Used guardian force as base. Converted to NSP. Wallpapers were not applied in the NSP (error of file not found in the log???) but still, the NSP was refused to install by tinfoil, said it was garbage file. Converted from NSP to XCI using NSP_Builder and it's running OK in XCI format.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool