Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't have made the update of the function in the script? Normaly with this you shouldn't have the force french language problem.

Without full log file I'll not helping.
I was able to fix the language problem a couple hours ago by editing the document and changing it to EN_us

I had to guess which version of English it was I tried a few different combinations before I landed on this one that worked.

I've been using the update function every time I open up the hacking script.

Perhaps it does have something to do with my antivirus blocking it however even when I completely disabled that things still didn't go as planned.

When I get home today I'm going to dump a new keys from my switch and then try again with injecting a Saturn ISO into the cotton to NSP.

As well I'm going to try and see if I can get Smash Brothers to work on a lower firmware.

EddieRiggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Sorry if I'm repeating some well-known things, but if you're using injection method via shadow256's Ultimate-Switch-Hack-Script you can save a little disk space (~90MB) by deleting Unity related stuff in romfs folder of unpacked game (Saturn_emu_inject_datas folder of USHS). This includes Data folder as well as 3 folders with assets word in their names. Then your future injects won't contain these files. As long as I can tell the functionality remains the same (menu works, settings changes correctly, save states and rewind fuctions stay intact)

Reactions: Thorhax

lingbergh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I tried to rebuild everything from scratch using hactoolnet and hacpack to understand, why USHS is not working for me. At least I can launch my rebuild GuardianForce nsp now. It eventually stops with a software error after the ZebraEngine logo.

@shadow256: When I look at the resulting NSP from you Saturn script the logo "partition" (3rd) in program is missing (NintendoLogo.png and StartupMovie.gif). Also there are 2 meta entries in this NSP. Is this the expected behavior? In the original NSP /data is separated and there are multiple program entries. Is it okay to only have one program partition containing /data?

Perhaps you can send me a screenshot using NxFileViewer how the correct order (program, control, manual, meta) of a working NSP from your script looks like.
Thanks.

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
How or where do i get the full logfile? Don't see any logfiles.
Each time you start the script it propose to activate a log type for the cession. Sory to be rude but do you read what is written on your screen?
I was able to fix the language problem a couple hours ago by editing the document and changing it to EN_us

I had to guess which version of English it was I tried a few different combinations before I landed on this one that worked.

I've been using the update function every time I open up the hacking script.

Perhaps it does have something to do with my antivirus blocking it however even when I completely disabled that things still didn't go as planned.

When I get home today I'm going to dump a new keys from my switch and then try again with injecting a Saturn ISO into the cotton to NSP.

As well I'm going to try and see if I can get Smash Brothers to work on a lower firmware.
The update work by function, there is no general update. This was a choice because my script contain many functions and verify all updates for them is too long, that's why the script propose an update verification when you launch a function.

Sorry if I'm repeating some well-known things, but if you're using injection method via shadow256's Ultimate-Switch-Hack-Script you can save a little disk space (~90MB) by deleting Unity related stuff in romfs folder of unpacked game (Saturn_emu_inject_datas folder of USHS). This includes Data folder as well as 3 folders with assets word in their names. Then your future injects won't contain these files. As long as I can tell the functionality remains the same (menu works, settings changes correctly, save states and rewind fuctions stay intact)
I'll add the clean up for these things, this is planed.

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Each time you start the script it propose to activate a log type for the cession. Sory to be rude but do you read what is written on your screen?

The update work by function, there is no general update. This was a choice because my script contain many functions and verify all updates for them is too long, that's why the script propose an update verification when you launch a function.

I'll add the clean up for these things, this is planed.
Yeah i do and i don't mean to be rude also but some of these things ( well most of them ) are completely new stuff and english is not my native language so if i miss something obvious things i'm sorry.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Yeah, I can confirm, that's size issue. Mostly black image's loading fine. But yesterday I've already tried to decrease size and ~850KB was still too much...
Anyway, the problem is solved. No need to worry, take your time and enjoy your meal=) Thanks!

EDIT: I've made it "The Saturn Way" via dithering. One step closer to real "no alpha channel" experience=)
Anyway, I'll leave this GF_00.tex here. Maybe someone will like it.
View attachment 280451
Code:
00 40 00 00 01 00 10 08 2C 9D 0E 00 80 07 38 04
Will give you 930KB max
1634655127900.png

Just add it to the begining of your .png and change the extension to .tex

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So close, yet so far.
Injection success but game launch failed.

I used fresh keys which I dumped using lockpickrcm from my emuMMC which I currently have the regular cotton2 installed.

I also tried again using guardian force as the base and saying "n" to all of the options for texture files and the ini files. I created a new nsp like this, installed it and got it to load up to a black screen, displaying the Guardian force boarders only.

I have more ideas to try.
Stand by

==UPDATE==
SUCCESS!!!!

I got Burning Rangers to load up through injection of Guardian Force without any extra textures or ini's
I shortened file names of the bin cue, and edited the cue to match.
It seemed to do the trick.
Now back to work on virtual on, Tinfoil is telling me its a junk file, so I'll just install it with goldleaf now.

==UPDATE2==
Virtual On is still a no go. It loads fine on Retroarch on my pc, but no clue about the inject, maybe a custom .ini is necessary?

and on that note, is there a repository of tested/approved .ini's out there?

Last edited by Thorhax,

EddieRiggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
cucholix, botik Thanks for explaining!
Yesterday I explained the whole injection thing to one person and he immediately pointed to 1080 and 1920 at the end of the header. But I'm complete newbie in this area, anyway =)

I shortened file names of the bin cue, and edited the cue to match.

shadow256 already explained that this whole thing is "CaSe SenSitiVE". So I just keep it down to one word lowercase titles.

On another completely unrelated topic, what is general consensus on Shining Force III? I've seen reports of only sprites being displayed, but mine loads fine and work pretty good with 1326MHz CPU overclock. I even get to the first battle and it was fine, until after one of "3d close-ups" it went to blackscreen with music playing in the background on low volume.
And, of course, this "insufficient space for save" problem. I remember it needs a lot of space on real hardware (almost all of Saturn internal storage).

Last edited by EddieRiggs,

Musgora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has 3D controller compatibility been experimented with this emulator? Some games like Nights would benefit from it plenty. Also multi disc swapping? It's great that only a handful of games really require you to change them on the fly too.

EddieRiggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Has 3D controller compatibility been experimented with this emulator? Some games like Nights would benefit from it plenty. Also multi disc swapping? It's great that only a handful of games really require you to change them on the fly too.
Even back in saturn days I've seen 3D controller on pictures only, so maybe I sound stupid. But. What is the benefit in its compatibility since Switch already has analog stick and doesn't have analog triggers?

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Even back in saturn days I've seen 3D controller on pictures only, so maybe I sound stupid. But. What is the benefit in its compatibility since Switch already has analog stick and doesn't have analog triggers?
If the emulator does not support analog inputs, the analog range of the games is completely useless. And some Saturn games, especially racing games, are clearly built around the analog range of the 3D Controller/Wheels, being barely playable with digital inputs.

I guess analog triggers were not that important.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the emulator does not support analog inputs, the analog range of the games is completely useless. And some Saturn games, especially racing games, are clearly built around the analog range of the 3D Controller/Wheels, being barely playable with digital inputs.

I guess analog triggers were not that important.
i have this controller, and i have nights on
Steam PC
XBOX live Arcade remaster
PS2 Remake
Saturn

the controls from Pro controller are Not the same experience as using the original one, another problem is input lag, you are not 100% in sync when trying to speed up through the level and do 360 gather loops, you will hit a wall or miss what you wanted to do from input lag, overclocking did not solve the problem, the controls dont feel as flied

still playable, but not with perfect movements

the old controller was only useful for Racing games
Virtual On is better with a Twin Stick joystick controller made specifically for the game
6931224.jpg

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
NiGHTS is playable I'd say. But games like Hang-On GP are very painful with the original controller. I guess it can be completed, but it's not a fun experience at all.

Besides the variable input lag, of course. Which is, sometimes, hard to determine since original Saturn already had some issues with that.

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tested a few games myself and they seemed to be perfect

Rockman 8 (JP)
Rockman X4 3M (JP)

I just set the emulator to use 4mb mode

One more thing is it possible to make these their own release so I could have them on my home screen?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.