Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
cyboerbots - Unplayable
the house of the dead - Unplayable
You are doing something wrong. Both games work with default values. You can see THOTD (US) in my video and Cyberbots (JP):

2021101713260200-0C87AADF5C7669AB4F25F77B3E61F738.jpg

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@matt! Clever! I have 20 romfs folders with the ROMs and renamed .cues in a Saturn folder that I move back and forth to the actual romfs location
Same thing I've been doing, I'd love to have a menu with being able to select a bin/cue when opening cotton.
That or separate installs for each game. Whichever is easier to implement.

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
🟢 Virtual On: Cyber Troopers (US). Playable. No issues so far. It requires a second gamepad to bypass the controls check (first screen). I don't know if it works with 2 Joy-Cons dettached.
changing this setting fixes this, it removes 2nd player controller.
Code:
PadType1_0="5"

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The problem with using SimpleModManager or swapping manually the .cue is it will overwrite the savefile for your game each time :P

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Actually you only lose your save states. For actual ingame saving it seems to use like a virtual memorycard so you can go back and forth
Interesting, I only had injected Panzer Dragoon which doesn’t have means to save your progress, only emu save states.

Would give a try to Castlevania if it supports internal save, because I’m running out of donor games that use 25mb saves :P

8mb is the minimum required, otherwise the game crashes, with only 8mb the emu save states don’t work, but if I can use internal save I don’t care for save states.

Last edited by cucholix,

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Big thanks to all who has had patience to help me and others like me. This has been lot to learn but damn this is cool. I can now play my favourite Saturn games again. What a blast! Only ones i still miss is Virtua fighter 2 and Virtua cop 2. If we get someday settings for those to play perfect then i'll all setup. This is just awasome 👏

Attachments

• 20211017_153515.jpg
    20211017_153515.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
My idea was to put all game bins in the romfs folder and then use SimpleModManager to select games by swapping cue files.

Here's how it looks:

1. Parent game and count of available alternate games
View attachment 280159

2. Select a game
View attachment 280160

3. (Deactivate any previously active game) Activate a game (this copies over just the cue file so is pretty much instant)
View attachment 280161

4. Game is now active
View attachment 280162
5. Go to home menu, launch parent game, have fun 😎
OK but you will have a save problem with this method?
Edit: OK, savestate problem at least.

i have not had a proper look of what is stored with the output, all i know is each key is unique or traceable to the console it come from, this isn't a big deal unless something from those prod.keys was stored in the output

there is something else i am not at liberty to discuss in public which concerns me

i just dont want to get you into the spot light if some Black Sheep start using the Script and share the games to TinFoil or other pirate sites, many Eyes are glued to this thread and are already making Articles about what we have achieved in their own Websites

what we are doing is a very Grey Area for Nintendo Game Package property

also on another subject, someone started to figure out the proper settings for some games
does your script cares what was the name for the game settings.ini
does it automatically correct the name or do i have to keep the name to Guardian_Force.ini before i point your Script to it
forgive my ignorance i did not test it myself and was looking for a quick reply before i test it again

the idea is to keep a folder with your tool and add all the config_settings.ini that we customized for each game as resource to use while we build NSP
I understand, that's why my script require original files to work so I'm not distributing any file that could be a problem.

Yes, my script rename all the files correctly (ini, cue and wallpaper for now, I will add other files in some next versions) so you can add your own config file. If we make a repository with ini files I could add it to the script, my intention is to propose to the user evrything that he can change.

Good to be cautious, but for accuracy - most keys dumped from a Switch into prod.keys are generic and the same between all Switches. The only unique ones are those used to encrypt the eMMC etc. Keys used to make new NSPs and decrypt existing ones are generic, and there would be no reason for any identifiable key to end up in a resulting NSP, unless the script literally bundled the prod.keys file into it by accident.

If you wanted confirmation that most keys are generic, you could google "prod.keys pastebin" or similar to see what's publicly (tho not legally per se) available and compare the keys to your own file.
In my script you also have a function to test a keys file, it tells you what are the common keys and unic keys, this function is in the "basic functions".

Last edited by shadow256,

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK but you will have a save problem with this method?
Edit: OK, savestate problem at least.

I understand, that's why my script require original files to work so I'm not distributing any file that could be a problem.

Yes, my script rename all the files correctly (ini, cue and wallpaper for now, I will add other files in some next versions) so you can add your own config file. If we make a repository with ini files I could add it to the script, my intention is to propose to the user evrything that he can change.

In my script you also have a function to test a keys file, it tells you what are the common keys and unic keys, this function is in the "basic functions".
ill send you a repository after we have more then 10 config settings, we now have 4

Last edited by ZER-O,

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry I meant to say TID
Title ID
So no, redirecting doesn't change TitleID, for that you need to change "control.nacp" and "main.npdm" files. For now the only way that I know to change TitleID is to reconstruct the NSP, via my script for example. Maybe this is possible to redirect these files but I don't know how, for the "main.npdm" with the creation of a "exefs" folder and puting the file in it should do the trick but for "control.nacp" I don't know how to do.

Reactions: Thorhax

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.