Gaming SATA Solid State vs. Solid State?

haddad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What is the difference between these 2 (excluding the disk size)? Are they not both solid state?

500GB Solid State Drive SATA hard drive (7200RPM)

256GB Solid State hard drive

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I would say nothing, since SATA is a connector and I think (not sure) that all SSD are connected through SATA. The price can vary because a lot of things like others characteristics (I saw some 256 GB SSD for something like 700-800$)

But again, I'm not totally sure, so you might want to wait somebody else's answer :)

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it says 7200 RPM then it's not a true solid state drive since that is a reference to the spindle speed of the HDD platters. It might be one of the hybrid drives which has a small SSD chunk it uses for faster caching of commonly accessed data I just looked it up, I'm guessing you are looking at a seagate momentus XT as that 500GB drive? It has 4 GB of SSD and 500GB of HDD, where as that other one is a full 256 GB of solid state goodness.

But look at the other SSD topic, unless you have the cash to burn, most people go with 60-120GB SSD for windows and a few programs for the extra speed and performance, then a regular HDD for storage.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1