Sandisk 16gb? Slowdowns and failures imminent?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Recorderdude, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Recorderdude
    OP

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    I've been a little worried about the items I ordered from shoptemp. I ordered a DSTWO and a sandisk 16gb card, which says class 2/4 (I WOULD have got a kingston but I thought the bundling was broken)

Now, I thought this would be fine, but now I've been reading that the DSTWO doesn't like class 2 16gb sandisks. Apparently many games play really slow with one inserted (including pokemon).

I've also heard of the card corrupting within 3 months, and continually corrupting after that.

This leaves me with a question that I'd appreciate answers for.

Is shoptemp's 16gb sandisk class 4? And if not, is it a newer version of the class 2 that doesn't do all of these things?

And if it is the same bad model, should I send it back as soon as I get it? and get a kingston instead? [​IMG]

Thanks for any answers.

2. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    class 2 cards works just fine
    I'm using a 16GB class 2 sandisk on my kids dstwo right now and it's been running fine, I don't see much (if any) difference between class2 and class 6, because I have a 16gb transcend class 6 in my other dstwo, the dstwo has no problems with either card..the problems you describe is most likely human error

3. Recorderdude
    OP

United States
    Hey, thanks for reassuring me. I'm really careful with my cards so I'll be fine.

Thanks [​IMG]

4. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The class isn't what matters here. Every company defines classes as different. Classes are simply for max write speed. That's it. Each company also tests with different sized chunks to define classes. What you want to look at is Random Access Time (or random read speed). That's what your card will be doing 99.99% of the time inside the DSTwo. Just because a card may be of a higher class, has NOTHING to do with random reads. Random reads are not advertised and you must look them up online. I know people were starting to make databases on how well the DSTwo works with certain MicroSD cards. Check here and the DSTwo forums.

5. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I had an 8GB Sandisk Class 2 that would play some games slowly, so I gave it away. But I also had a 4GB Kingston Class 4 that was even worse. A dinky little Lexar 2GB Class 2 is actually my best card -- it screams on every flashcart I have. Picking a good card is a real inexact science from my experience, I guess it's just trial and error.

6. Recorderdude
    OP

United States
    So, that's good, then?

7. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes.