Hacking Sandisk 16gb? Slowdowns and failures imminent?

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been a little worried about the items I ordered from shoptemp. I ordered a DSTWO and a sandisk 16gb card, which says class 2/4 (I WOULD have got a kingston but I thought the bundling was broken)

Now, I thought this would be fine, but now I've been reading that the DSTWO doesn't like class 2 16gb sandisks. Apparently many games play really slow with one inserted (including pokemon).

I've also heard of the card corrupting within 3 months, and continually corrupting after that.

This leaves me with a question that I'd appreciate answers for.

Is shoptemp's 16gb sandisk class 4? And if not, is it a newer version of the class 2 that doesn't do all of these things?

And if it is the same bad model, should I send it back as soon as I get it? and get a kingston instead?
frown.gif

Thanks for any answers.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
class 2 cards works just fine
I'm using a 16GB class 2 sandisk on my kids dstwo right now and it's been running fine, I don't see much (if any) difference between class2 and class 6, because I have a 16gb transcend class 6 in my other dstwo, the dstwo has no problems with either card..the problems you describe is most likely human error

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
class 2 cards works just fine
I'm using a 16GB class 2 sandisk on my kids dstwo right now and it's been running fine, I don't see much (if any) difference between class2 and class 6, because I have a 16gb transcend class 6 in my other dstwo, the dstwo has no problems with either card..the problems you describe is most likely human error

Hey, thanks for reassuring me. I'm really careful with my cards so I'll be fine.

Thanks
smile.gif

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The class isn't what matters here. Every company defines classes as different. Classes are simply for max write speed. That's it. Each company also tests with different sized chunks to define classes. What you want to look at is Random Access Time (or random read speed). That's what your card will be doing 99.99% of the time inside the DSTwo. Just because a card may be of a higher class, has NOTHING to do with random reads. Random reads are not advertised and you must look them up online. I know people were starting to make databases on how well the DSTwo works with certain MicroSD cards. Check here and the DSTwo forums.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
personuser said:
I've been a little worried about the items I ordered from shoptemp. I ordered a DSTWO and a sandisk 16gb card, which says class 2/4 (I WOULD have got a kingston but I thought the bundling was broken)

Now, I thought this would be fine, but now I've been reading that the DSTWO doesn't like class 2 16gb sandisks. Apparently many games play really slow with one inserted (including pokemon).

I've also heard of the card corrupting within 3 months, and continually corrupting after that.

This leaves me with a question that I'd appreciate answers for.

Is shoptemp's 16gb sandisk class 4? And if not, is it a newer version of the class 2 that doesn't do all of these things?

And if it is the same bad model, should I send it back as soon as I get it? and get a kingston instead?
frown.gif

Thanks for any answers.

I had an 8GB Sandisk Class 2 that would play some games slowly, so I gave it away. But I also had a 4GB Kingston Class 4 that was even worse. A dinky little Lexar 2GB Class 2 is actually my best card -- it screams on every flashcart I have. Picking a good card is a real inexact science from my experience, I guess it's just trial and error.

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 said:
The class isn't what matters here. Every company defines classes as different. Classes are simply for max write speed. That's it. Each company also tests with different sized chunks to define classes. What you want to look at is Random Access Time (or random read speed). That's what your card will be doing 99.99% of the time inside the DSTwo. Just because a card may be of a higher class, has NOTHING to do with random reads. Random reads are not advertised and you must look them up online. I know people were starting to make databases on how well the DSTwo works with certain MicroSD cards. Check here and the DSTwo forums.

I found this on an android forum, just put the 50mb test here since that's the average size of a DS game:

QUOTE"Here is my Sandisk 16GB Class 2 Micro SDHC

Test: 50 MB [L: 6.7% (1.0/14.8 GB)] (x1)

Sequential Read : 17.957 MB/s
Sequential Write : 8.971 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 17.961 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 2.092 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 4.004 MB/s [ 977.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.022 MB/s [ 5.3 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 4.061 MB/s [ 991.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.033 MB/s [ 8.1 IOPS]
-------------
Here is my Kingston 8GB Class 4 MicroSDHC (currently used in my TP2)

Test: 50 MB [L: 46.5% (3532.5/7592.0 MB)] (x1)

Sequential Read : 18.550 MB/s
Sequential Write : 8.953 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 18.553 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.620 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 4.011 MB/s [ 979.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.017 MB/s [ 4.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 3.901 MB/s [ 952.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.030 MB/s [ 7.3 IOPS]
----------------

So, that's good, then?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum