Hacking Samsung MicroSDXC compatibility issue with SX core?

ps786

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone has Samsung MicroSD card in their system? I have a 512gb EVO Select that was on exFat. It worked fine in my other stock Switch. I formatted to Fat32 32k in Guiformat and try to use it in my modded Switch, 9 out 10 it wouldn't boot past grumpy boot.dat screen. When I switched SD card to Sandisk 128gb, the issue went away. Is there a known compatibility issue with Samsung card?

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I believe so, i was told by an admin on their dead chat site that he had tons of trouble himself with a samsung one (this one i provided to him. EXACT same model as the one you're speaking of) and it wouldn't boot most of the time. he never explained if it was the core's fault or sxos' fault but i'm gonna say it's best to change to a sandisk or hope this issue isn't a thing when atmosphere comes to the core.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I use a 512GB Evo Plus and it works fine with Atmosphere, I wouldn't think SX OS would be any different, it is based off of Atmosphere after all, but TX have a habit of breaking stuff that works just fine in Atmosphere so maybe.

Reactions: Kioku

ps786

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe so, i was told by an admin on their dead chat site that he had tons of trouble himself with a samsung one (this one i provided to him. EXACT same model as the one you're speaking of) and it wouldn't boot most of the time. he never explained if it was the core's fault or sxos' fault but i'm gonna say it's best to change to a sandisk or hope this issue isn't a thing when atmosphere comes to the core.

I use a 512GB Evo Plus and it works fine with Atmosphere, I wouldn't think SX OS would be any different, it is based off of Atmosphere after all, but TX have a habit of breaking stuff that works just fine in Atmosphere so maybe.

Thanks. I am doing diskpart clean all command as we speak. If this doesn't work, then I will invest on a Sandisk. Any reason to get their extreme version that reads up to 160?

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks. I am doing diskpart clean all command as we speak. If this doesn't work, then I will invest on a Sandisk. Any reason to get their extreme version that reads up to 160?
ehh, not really. just get a sandisk equal to your current samsung tbh. or if you want shitloads of storage get that 1tb they have

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might be able to get a deal on the 1TB on black Friday. I bought a second 1TB micro sd on prime day. I got the card a few days ago for $182 w/ free shipping.

Reactions: ps786

ps786

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just spent 5+ hours fully clean the SD card in diskpart and still the same result. I guess it is confirmed Samsung EVO select SD card doesn't work with SX core. Not sure if it changes anything, but I am on beta v3.0.5 and Switch 10.0.3.

SubRin

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I just spent 5+ hours fully clean the SD card in diskpart and still the same result. I guess it is confirmed Samsung EVO select SD card doesn't work with SX core. Not sure if it changes anything, but I am on beta v3.0.5 and Switch 10.0.3.
Im using Samsung EVO Plus 128GB. Working fine with SX OS v3.0.5 beta.

Reactions: Kioku

ps786

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im using Samsung EVO Plus 128GB. Working fine with SX OS v3.0.5 beta.

Thank you for the information. I have another Samsung 128gb endurance model that is also working fine. I am not sure if EVO select and EVO plus are the same card, or maybe the issue is limited to their 512gb variant.

I am doing raw copy from my sd to sd right now. will update if this method solve the issue.

ps786

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HDDRawCopy from a known working SD card to Samsung EVO select 512gb seem fixed the compatibility issue, at least for now. I do have to resize partition after writing image file to accommodate the difference in capacity.

ps786

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh... back to square one.

With HDDRawCopy from a working SD, I was able to boot into SX OFW/CFW selection menu, anything pass that would just stuck at a black scree. Also formatted the SD card to exfat under Swtich OFW but still no go.

SubRin

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Uh... back to square one.

With HDDRawCopy from a working SD, I was able to boot into SX OFW/CFW selection menu, anything pass that would just stuck at a black scree. Also formatted the SD card to exfat under Swtich OFW but still no go.
Did it boot to any Logo after Cfw/Ofw choosen ?

ps786

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it boot to any Logo after Cfw/Ofw choosen ?

No logo, the screen went black and freezes after I press boot cfw/ofw in the menu. I already purchased a Sandisk Extreme and the issue went away. I have a feeling that the problem is within Samsung IC instead of formating.

Last edited by ps786,

Noway365

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hello, I soldered this week-end the sx core and have some trouble booting cfw with the same card Samsung Evo plus 512GB. I can see Nintendo logo then nothing. I tried exfat with switch, fat32 with guiformat, diskpart cleaning and reformating. Same problem.
I tried another card Sandisk 128GB ultra and it pass everytime boot cfw.

ps786

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I soldered this week-end the sx core and have some trouble booting cfw with the same card Samsung Evo plus 512GB. I can see Nintendo logo then nothing. I tried exfat with switch, fat32 with guiformat, diskpart cleaning and reformating. Same problem.
I tried another card Sandisk 128GB ultra and it pass everytime boot cfw.

Try perform "clean all" command in diskpart. It zero out every sector on the SD card to eliminate any format / partition issue. If that still doesn't work, you probably need a new SD card like I do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over