rxtool's CFW; Does it allow for Online play?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Calico, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Calico
    OP

Calico Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    Canada
    North Pole, New York
    If I install CIA files using FBI using rxtool's CFW, do I need to "patch the header"? I'm not sure what the term is called, but I believe that if I have a retail copy of a game, I can use its header and "patch" it over the CIA which I want to play online with?

2. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    CIA games don't use headers like .3ds/.3dz roms.

Basically, you can play online.

3. Calico
    OP

Calico Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    Canada
    North Pole, New York
    :o You're kidding me, don't give me false hope. :3 Isn't there risk of getting banned?

4. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    no risk of ban. You just install the game and play online.

5. Calico
    OP

Calico Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    Canada
    North Pole, New York
    I don't mean to bother you again, but I don't want to start a new thread and I can't seem to find the answer (in terms I understand at least) on Google.
    Would you recommend that I get some sort of Cold/Autoboot for rxtools? It would save me the step of being connected to the Internet right? And how does Homebrew Launcher fit into this? Is it useful, and should I use both? Thanks for all the help, great community. +1 :D

6. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    What frimware are you on?

7. iwasaperson

iwasaperson Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2013
    United States
    I won't say there's no risk of ban, but what I will say is that nobody has ever been banned when playing CIA games.

8. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Unless your name is @Traiver who claims him and many of his friends have been banned playing MHX...Still no one else reporting it state-side.

9. Drakas

Drakas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2015
    Italy
    How Nintendo could detect you for ban?

10. Drakas

Drakas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2015
    Italy
    So all banned people played with .3ds/3dz?

11. A_Random_Guy

A_Random_Guy Officially That Dev

May 22, 2015
    Malaysia
    Smea's closet
    If the header is patched with a private one, they will not be banned

12. Drakas

Drakas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2015
    Italy
    So the cia files are always safe? :D

13. A_Random_Guy

A_Random_Guy Officially That Dev

May 22, 2015
    Malaysia
    Smea's closet
    Yes as they used console header instead of its own

14. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Well that was a game that's only out in japan being played on a non-Japanese 3DS, so Nintendo can probably see that a US 3DS header is connected to the online on that game when it shouldn't be.

15. djalmafreestyler

djalmafreestyler GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 31, 2011
    Brazil
    I think Nintendo didn't implement a system that ban cias, at least not yet. I read somewhere here that Nintendo can see which one have bought the game on eShop, that's the only risk (Not sure if it's true, but nobody with cias reported any ban so far.

Last edited by djalmafreestyler, Dec 1, 2015
  16. Calico
    OP

Calico Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    Canada
    North Pole, New York
    I'm on 4.4 US. I heard HBL only works on 9.0-9.2? But what if I update my emuNAND to 9.2? I recall having the Homebrew Channel on my Wii, I just don't know if I need it or not for my 3DS. And if I should get it, how will it work alongside autoboot/coldboot?

17. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    HBL works from 4.0.0-7 to 10.3.0-28.

I believe ninjhax works from 4.0.0-7 to 9.2.0-20, so if you have Cubic Ninja, you would be able to use that. But that is your only entry point if you are under 9.0
    9.0 or above, every other entry point is also available. Smashhax only for New 3DS, browserhax only for 10.1 and under (9.9-10.1 only for New 3DS unless you were able to block the update nag on O3DS), menuhax only for 9.0-10.1

As it stands, you don't really have an advantage for staying on 4.4 sysnand. You have all the reasons in the world to update it to 9.2, so you can autoboot.
    You could update your emunand, or you could leave it as-is. It's recommended you update it, there are only advantages to keeping emunand on latest version as of right now (10.3)
    You should be able to access every entry point on latest emunand version, apart from browserhax and menuhax. It's a lot easier to use yellows8's homebrew launcher loader, though, so I recommend that.

You only really need Homebrew Launcher if you want to use homebrew in .3dsx format, by the way.

(You did mean update your sysnand to 9.2, right? and not emunand?)

When you have sysnand at 9.0-9.2 and can autoboot, install menuhax, and then open your menuhax ropbin payload in a hex editor. Search for text-string "boot.3dsx" and rename it to something else (anything works as long as it's 4-characters long, personally I use nhax.3dsx) Then rename your CtrBootManager to the same name as you typed when you hex edited your payload. That way, when you start up your 3DS, it will, for example, load nhax.3dsx rather than boot.3dsx

Then when you have yellows8's HBL loader installed, the payload for that will load boot.3dsx as normal, so your menuhax autoboot cfw won't interfere with homebrew launcher on emunand.

Last edited by Ammako, Dec 1, 2015
  18. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    you need to update sysnand to 9.0 or 9.2 for menuhax (coldboot) [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS) update instructions and menuhax (previously themehax) can both be found in the link
    and none of it is needed per-say but when complete makes your 3ds experience simpler and faster and safer

19. Calico
    OP

Calico Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    Canada
    North Pole, New York
    Oh, so I install sysupdater on my emunand and update my sysnand to 9.2 in order to autoboot. Are there any disadvantages of updating, other than not being able to use the MSET exploit. Can I just leave my Wi-fi off when using autoboot, since it doesn't require any Internet connections?

20. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    close you install sysupdater to sysnand and make sure you are in devmode not sysnand when you run sysdater or you will brick please read and be sure of every step in the update process as there is a risk of a brick involved if you do it wrong
    and you can autoboot without internet just like mset

Last edited by wormdood, Dec 1, 2015