Russian vlogger gets 3.5 year sentence for playing Pokemon GO in a church

Capture.JPG

Last year, in protest to Russia's anti-blasphemy law that criminalized playing Pokémon GO in church, vlogger Ruslan Sokolovsky filmed himself catching Pokémons in Yekaterinburg’s Church of All Saints, the site where the last Emperor of Russia Nicholas II and his family were murdered in 1918, and shared the footage on his YouTube channel:

The 22-year old was then detained for two months for “inciting hatred” and “insulting religious feelings” after posting the video, and later taken to a pre-trial detention center for breaching the terms of his house arrest after the young man had posted a video on the Internet though he had been banned from using the web and mobile communications. Judgement was passed this Thursday and Sokolovsky was found guilty of all charges.

"In accordance with the expert evaluation, the court found blogger Sokolovsky guilty of inciting hatred, violating religious feelings and illegal possession of special technical means - a pen with a video camera," said judge Yekaterina Shoponyak who granted the prosecutors' wish and gave the vlogger a 3.5-year suspended sentence.

Judge Shoponyak pointed out that the 22-year old video blogger was on trial not only for playing the game in the church but also for posting several videos that offended believers. She listed "mockery of the immaculate conception," ''denial of the existence of Jesus and Prophet Muhammad" and "giving an offensive description of Patriarch Kirill," the head of the Russian Orthodox Church.

During the court hearings, Sokolovsky did not deny that he had been the author of these videos but concerning the pen with a camera, he reportedly said that not only was the pen not his, but that it wasn’t a camera at all, but instead just a light bulb.

During the interrogation of eyewitnesses, the blogger apologized to all worshippers who had complained about being offended.

What do you think of this case? Was the verdict fair in finding Sokolovsky guilty who on top of violating the country's anti-blasphemy law, additionally breached the terms of his house arrest? Or is suppressing one's freedom of expression a more serious offense?

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they'll have fun with you till you get out.
And then get fired for attempting to void a constitutional right and then harming you in jail. Everyone should be able to disrespect however they want as long as there is no actual harm caused, and that includes playing pokemon in a church unless the church is in session and they are causing an actual disruption after being asked to put the phone away.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am Russian. I know what he told in the video and I know a little extra about this situation. In the video he is, basically, said that he KNOWS that this is legally become a crime but gone to the church with exact purpose to "break the rules" since he thinks that this rule is stupid. Well, he is anarchist, I didn't seen much of his videos, but in every one I seen (about 8-9) there is some of anarchistic, hmm, propaganda. How people "can do whatever they wan't", how all "you guys" should "f the system", how "if somebody do it, then it's justice that we all can do it", stuff like this. I'm assured that this is anarchist who are not so successfully trying to mask himself as democrat.

In this video he is also use filthy language in the parody of church recitative. So, is it offend somebody? Of course it is. The fact that this is Christians now is not really matter.

So, fact of violation of law is not only confirmed, it's can't be more oblivious.

Also note that this 3,5 years sentence is conditional term, he not jailed for 3,5 years, this 3,5 years going to be added to his sentence IF he breach law again seriously enough. So he is get off lightly.
Thanks for the clarification. Also, this seems to violate disruption of public order laws more than anything. Regardless on your thoughts of Russian laws (I somehow see people putting a spin on this and bring up their anti-gay laws), this is someone that behaved like a dick in a place were behaving like a dick is frowned upon. It would be the equivalent of walking into a religious building and screaming at the top of your lungs "FUCK YOU <relevant religion>". At that point it'd make sense to be arrested, since at best you are breaking public order laws and at worst be commiting a hate crime (which one depends on how much said religion has gotten the 'marginalized' description by the media). You just are not supposed to do that. So, despite that Russia remains an ass-backwards country, in this case, I think that being on probation (which is what this is if I'm not mistaken) for a few years is appropriate.

Reactions: Ra1d and BetaXenon

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
And then get fired for attempting to void a constitutional right and then harming you in jail. Everyone should be able to disrespect however they want as long as there is no actual harm caused, and that includes playing pokemon in a church unless the church is in session and they are causing an actual disruption after being asked to put the phone away.
But it's a sacred place for Christians. It might be illegal in Russia. If something is illegal you can't & do illegal stuff because it's against the country rules. Every country have there own rules. You have to obey them to live there. If you don't want to then you can go to some other country or stay where you are & do illegal stuff & go to jail for it.

Reactions: BetaXenon

BetaXenon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Which is a horrible law and helps show why Russia and its government has such a negative connotation.
This law saving, let's say, Americans from being insulted on every turn. (This one in the political TV shows receiving money for it so he isn't mind it much.)
Russia is multi-religious, multicultural and multinational place. But you are supposed to respect other people, traditions and believes here. You are not suppose to publicly insult others views and suggest that others should do it too.

Last edited by BetaXenon,

SWRosetta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i wish these crazy religious authorities put that same passion and effort into actualy giving jail time to murderers and rapists , not this bullshit.

How messed up it's the world we live in.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it's a sacred place for Christians. It might be illegal in Russia. If something is illegal you can't & do illegal stuff because it's against the country rules. Every country have there own rules. You have to obey them to live there. If you don't want to then you can go to some other country or stay where you are & do illegal stuff & go to jail for it.
"But black people are slaves in the US. Maybe where you live its different but thats what they do there. If something is illegal you can't & do illegal stuff because it's against the country rules. Every country have there own rules. You have to obey them to live there." I didnt realize its ok to discriminate against minorities (in this case atheists) and wrong to protest just because putin says so. Apparently he is the arbiter of morality and if he made it illegal to be a woman in Russia, it wold be ok to kill all women because "Every country have there own rules"

BetaXenon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
i wish these crazy religious authorities put that same passion and effort into actualy giving jail time to murderers and rapists , not this bullshit.
And if he tries it on the territory of military base then you yet going to wish that this crazy militaristic authorities put that same passion and effort into actually giving jail time to murderers and rapists?

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This law saving, let's say, Americans from being insulted on every turn. (This one in the political TV shows receiving money for it so he isn't mind it much.)
Russia is multi-religious, multicultural and multinational place. But you are supposed to respect other people, traditions and believes here. You are not suppose to publicly insult others views and suggest that others should do it too.
If it is multicultural and you are suppossed to respect others there, why is russia so shit over nonstraight people? Hypocrisy at it finests.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats dumb. If a Russian insults america, that should be their right. If a Russian insults russia, that should be their right. I get that isnt the law, but it SHOULD be. You shouldnt be forced to respect others, just to not cause them harm.

BetaXenon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
why is russia so shit over nonstraight people? Hyprocite at it finests.
In reality it's not shit over nonstraight people. It's shit over gay-parades and propaganda that one-sex relationship is normal. Since this is against traditions of almost any ethnic group here, especially between man. If all that Western media telling about of this has been true, then all gays in Russia has been dead for years already... But no, there is plenty.
Now there is even other fairy-tales about Chechnya, lol.

BetaXenon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
If a Russian insults america, that should be their right. If a Russian insults russia, that should be their right.
It is alright then it is not on sole reason that this is America, Russia, Armenia, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, black, yellow, white and so on, but because opponent is a bastard himself.

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I am a Muslim by the way. Atheists are kind of dumb they think what they have everyone should obey them. Now a days atheism is becoming like a anti-religious group. Claiming what they have is right & what religious people have is wrong. They forgot how fox news brainwash them every single day. They forgot what reality is because some of them who join anti-religious groups don't have a little bit of understanding. A religion never teaches anyone to do bad. People who do bad & claim themselves to be part of religion is a lame claim. Because they have same brain f-cked understanding like anti-religious groups. Also people from anti-religious group forgot that there are 99% more bad cases from people who have no religion then there are from 1% religious people. You can check wikipedia for murder cases around the world. You will find 99% non-religious people & 1% religious people in those cases. Look how media brainwash you people every day. Open your eyes before you also join the side of anti-religious group for nothing.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I see everyone screaming "HE GOT JAIL TIME! NO FREE SPEECH LOLZ", but keep in mind, it is SUSPENDED jail time. This means he is effectively on probation. As long as he doesn't commit any major crimes in the next few years, he doesn't even have to serve it. After those 3 years, the judge will dismiss the sentence. Of course, if he does break the law, then things get tricky (and suspended jail time can also have strings attached to it).

IANAL ofc.

eworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm a Christian and, well, everything about this is stupid.
Playing Pokémon GO in a church is pretty stupid and also insensitive if not rude.
Filming oneself playing Pokémon GO in a church is also stupid, especially when its illegal.
Playing Pokémon GO in a church being illegal is also stupid.
All "sides" in this story seem incredibly stupid.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a Muslim by the way. Atheists are kind of dumb they think what they have everyone should obey them. Now a days atheism is becoming like a anti-religious group. Claiming what they have is right & what religious people have is wrong. They forgot how fox news brainwash them every single day. They forgot what reality is because some of them who join anti-religious groups don't have a little bit of understanding. A religion never teaches anyone to do bad. People who do bad & claim themselves to be part of religion is a lame claim. Because they have same brain f-cked understanding like anti-religious groups. Also people from anti-religious group forgot that there are 99% more bad cases from people who have no religion then there are from 1% religious people. You can check wikipedia for murder cases around the world. You will find 99% non-religious people & 1% religious people in those cases. Look how media brainwash you people every day. Open your eyes before you also join the side of anti-religious group for nothing.
Ok let me try to piece this apart:
1. Fox News is one of the most religious major news stations ever, and consistently align themselves with conservatives, who on average are far more religious than liberals. I dont think they brainwash people to be atheist lol.
2.Saying "people should be able to disrespect WHOEVER they want (including atheists) is not "anti religion", its anti oppression. Taking away my right to say whatever I want is inherently oppressive.
3. The 99% thing is blatantly false. The crusades was a series of wars fought between religious groups over god and ISIS is a group dedicated to killing for god. I am positive atheists and religious people commit on average a proportion of murders equal to how many of each there are.

Reactions: wolfmankurd
D

Deleted User

Knowingly commiting a crime for views on camera wasn't the best idea. No matter how stupid a law is there are better ways of protesting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/ICjgg5eEFSw?si=qyxHdElodJEeR3aS