1. x65943

x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    The history he is referencing is that the church was built over the site where the last Tsar was murdered with his family.

2. Windowlicker

Windowlicker INTJ Idiot

Greece
    Problem is, anyone can support a just cause. What matters is HOW you show your support for that exact cause. That guy didn't prove anything. Putin didn't move an inch by what he did. Anyone can be a pseudo rebel. He does not deserve praise.

3. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Someone has to do something first. Maybe people will follow in his footsteps and it will start a change. Maybe it wont. But hes trying which is more than you or I are doing.

4. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Are they actually trying to make russia sound worse than people already think it is?

5. Windowlicker

Windowlicker INTJ Idiot

Greece
    "Trying" could mean "wanting to gather tons of views", but to be completely honest, I can't prove that.

6. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

France
    But did they really believe MLK was wrong? Maybe they knew he was right but didn't want to acknowledge it. So yeah, people had to speak up and get jailed for telling the truth until everyone realizes that yeah, that's actually the truth.
    That guy here on the other hand fought against people who really believe he was wrong, and got problems for not agreeing with their truth. And you can't change their truth, you're going to do it with your arguments? They have their """arguments""".

Now yeah, I don't disagree with you on the fact that I'm not against people speaking up if it works. I just don't think it does in that particular case.

7. x65943

x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    Many people in the US still think that MLK was wrong. Rampant racism is widespread here.

MLK was fighting against racist people at a time when black americans were still being lynched for looking at a white girl wrong.

8. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

That's what you get for not playing Tetris.

raulpica, tri_fin and Bladexdsl like this.
  9. Benuno

Benuno Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    If not mentioned before: I don't think this is some kind of anti-freedom thing. I mean there are f.e. landlords who do not allow you to bring pets into their apartment. If you don't agree with that you just go to an other place. How I see it Russia just shows some respect to religious people by this penalty (although it's too excessive IMO).

Last edited by Benuno, May 11, 2017
  10. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    jeez they don't fuck around in russia!

11. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    I wouldn't go to a church without a reason actually.
    Well, if I went to a church it would be with some certain purpose and being respectful.
    And to be completely honest, my judgement of the given church would depend on what law was being broken, but most probably I wouldn't like the idea.

I couldn't care less about this. I don't like this whole idea of nationalism TBH, and I expect to receive backlash but who cares.

Asking him to leave is the most appropriate thing IMHO.
    The guy seems like a dumb overgrown rebellious teenager in my eyes.

I don't see that much reason to be furious.
    The guy is a disrespectful jerk, true.
    Take him out, don't let him enter again.
    Actually, I really don't think being furious would be a logical reaction.
    Feeling pity, seeing this person is dumb as fuck and thinks he is not, I understand.
    Feeling impotence, as you can't make him reason and turn into a better person, I understand.
    But fury? It is not like he was breaking property, he was just being a disrespectful asshole that could be put outside.

raulpica and x65943 like this.
  12. borka

borka Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Serbia, Republic of
    Well, as it is seen from the inside. After the collapse of the Communism/Marxism religion there was a so-called ideological "vacuum" - everybody believed in what he liked. It was terrible since it could lead to the freedom of speech, to the strong thinking citizens and even to the democracy (but it doesn't exist - it is another topic though).

And now the government tries hard to find a state ideology. And it turns back to the pre-communist history, to the Russian Orthodox Church always being a second (if not first) state power. Russian Church always supported any regime, any government, communist or Tatar-and-Mongol, and doing now this actively.

2016-2018 year. My sub-district. 10 schools are planned to be build from the state budget and (hold on) 26 churches.

So, this case and previous - with some girl band playing in the church. It is a clear and precise message to the plebs that the Church is Government and should be treated as such. With all respect and fear. And if you want to be a "patriot" and "good citizen" you should go to the Church (for your mind to be conditioned).

Last edited by borka, May 11, 2017
    Veho and sarkwalvein like this.
  13. Viri
    This message by Viri has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 12, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 11, 2017
  14. sarkwalvein
    This message by sarkwalvein has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 12, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 11, 2017
  15. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Micronesia, Federated States of
  16. Viri
    This message by Viri has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 12, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 11, 2017
  17. sarkwalvein
    This message by sarkwalvein has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 12, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 11, 2017
  18. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    As stupid as Russia's laws are, he's the fucking idiot for KNOWING them and yet still VIOLATING them.
    What a moron.

19. leon315
    This message by leon315 has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 12, 2017, Reason: Disparaging remarks towards others about sexual orientation will NOT be tolerated -rp.
    May 11, 2017
  20. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Mind giving an example? No fiction. Also not one of those 'fuck order' kind of guy.

21. Vipera
    This message by Vipera has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 12, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 11, 2017
  22. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

United States
    Denny don't plan too much, it may not come out right...

23. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]
    Global Moderator

United States
  24. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I dont remember women taking over after protesting for rights, or black people, or many other groups throughout history. I dont say why atheists in Russia would be any different.

25. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Correct! A Church is not a park, it's not a too hard law, it's common sense

26. sarkwalvein
    May 11, 2017
  27. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    If you want to know why most countries like their very rigid "Separation of church and state", this is why.

When a law that boils down to "this offends me" is the sole reason someone gets jail time, then something is really borked with your laws.

Last edited by osaka35, May 11, 2017
    tri_fin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - sentence, Russian, vlogger