Running VC off dvd

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dark_anth, Oct 7, 2008.

Oct 7, 2008

Running VC off dvd by Dark_anth at 1:32 AM (1,512 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Dark_anth
    OP

Banned Dark_anth Banned

United States
    what is it and couldnt you use backup loader to boot it on non modded wiis?

2. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You'll have to clarify what you mean by your above post. From what I gather you are trying to give us the idea of running VC off of a DVD. This has (supposedly) been successfully completed, although it required a modded Wii and only one VC game could be loaded to a DVD at a time. I'm not sure if it was fake or not, but it just seems like a silly idea. Off an SD card would be better, or even launching it off of an external hard drive.

The best idea I can think of is to make a channel loader that uses WAD files off an SD card to temporarily install the file to the Wii (using a program like Wad Manager) and launch it, then when the Wii is reset, the channel is removed. This could be done like the MenuLoader, although instead of changing the System Menu, it would temporarily install channels, then when the Wii is reset, the channels would be gone again. Not exactly as efficient as direct booting a channel from SD, but it is a start. Even pre-loading the file to the Wii then autolaunching the channel, only to have it removed on reset would work.

3. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    At some point early on in the period when vc/wiiware crackign was going on, someone (don't remember who) released an app that basically launched a menu loader that re-directed the wii menu to load "zbanner.bin" and "zicon.bin" for each channel instead of the normal "banner.bin" and "icon.bin." In other words, it used the stock wii menu, but re-directed some of the files.

By far the easiest method would be to use this same technique to build a menu on a dvd and/or sd card. Seeing as how I can't find the app nor the source anymore, dunno how you'd do it though.

Btw, with the softmods out now, a modchip wouldn't be required to use the vc dvd loader.

4. Dark_anth
    OP

Banned Dark_anth Banned

United States
    Yeah i KNow How do i find the app?

5. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States

Did you even READ my reply? I just said "Seeing as how I can't find the app nor the source anymore, dunno how you'd do it though."

As for the current vc dvd app, it's utterly useless and a waste of time to store a 15 meg vc game on a 4 gig dvd.

6. Badges

Newcomer Badges Member

Germany
    Thats true, but I got 70 VC- and WW-Games on my HDD... Filesize: 1.86GB
    I want to play form an DVD-, SD- or HDD-Loader! [​IMG]

7. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    what the point of having 70 games available at the same time ? you play ALL OF THEM in turn for five minutes each, just to check how glorious is your "collection" ?

Sometime, I don't really understand you, pirates [​IMG]

imo, the more you have, the less you really enjoy playing

8. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I really don't get why you don't want to boot off a SD card...

That's why I don't pirate [​IMG] . I have so much more fun now.

9. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    What for?

What's the point of intentionally NOT having that many games available at the same time?
    What makes you believe that "us pirates" are going to play them all at the same time?
    According to that logic, people shouldn't have more than one CD, DVD or game in their homes at a time, either, because you can't watch two movies or listen to two albums at the same time. Makes sense, right? [​IMG]

It's nice to have a large library of games to choose from, ESPECIALLY when it comes to retro games. Being able to choose between like, let's say, 5 NES games and 5 SNES games just doesn't do it for many people.