Running homebrew WITHOUT installing anything

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Andim, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Andim
    OP

Andim GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    I wish to run homebrew (in this case a simple media player) directly from Smash Stack, without installing the HBC. The problem is that Smash Stack only supports .elf files, and almost everything is now distributed in .dol's. Is there a homebrew launcher I can run from a .elf file, or a way to have Smash Stack launch a .dol? A forwarder .elf perhaps?

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
  3. Andim
    OP

Andim GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    I have tried more or less all of those. They either only provide a dol, crash, or fail to launch further homebrew once they start. The only thing I've been able to start on its own was SNES9xGX, since they provide elf files with their releases.

4. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Wii Homebrew Launcher has a .elf file, it's freezing when you try to launch other homebrew from it?

Did you try Wiixplorer?

5. Andim
    OP

Andim GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes. I assumed that was because the thing hasn't been updated since the Twilight hack.
    Yes. It only has a .dol.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
  7. Andim
    OP

Andim GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Thank you very much brother. Mobile Suit Gundam is running beautifully on the Wii U Gamepad now, and I still have my warrenty

8. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Well, technically you don't still have your warranty. Just don't tell Nintendo about this. ^.^

9. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    Maybe if you google dol2elf something interesting comes up. (Never tested if what comes up actually works..)