Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I've been trying for a while now to get MAME to run from my 32GB flash drive on my laptop. Whenever I run mame.exe, though, it says "unable to create direct3d device", "unable to initialize direct3d" and "FATALERROR: Unable to complete window creation". Thing is, MAME runs fine from my desktop and all ROMs work. It also runs from the USB drive on other computers that I've tested it on.
The main reason I'm trying to do this is because I'm trying to run HyperSpin from USB (it works when launching MAME from my desktop) but doesn't run MAME from the USB drive because of the 3 above errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is what's shown when I (try to) run mame.exe from the command line:

MAME_ERROR.png

Thank you! :)

Last edited by dj505,

spoonm

Can count to 3.
Trophies
Website
spoonm.org
XP
Country
Brazil
I never used MAME, so it's a shot in the dark, but do you have Direct3D installed on your laptop? Maybe you should try updating it to the latest version. I'm sorry I can't provide more help than this.

If you copy the files over to wherever on your laptop's hard drive and try to run it, does it work as intended or does it give you the same errors?

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I never used MAME, so it's a shot in the dark, but do you have Direct3D installed on your laptop? Maybe you should try updating it to the latest version. I'm sorry I can't provide more help than this.

If you copy the files over to wherever on your laptop's hard drive and try to run it, does it work as intended or does it give you the same errors?

Thanks for the reply! I installed the latest version of direct3d, but it didn't work. If I copy mame from the flash drive to the desktop, the errors disappear. Funny thing is, it runs fine off the flash drive on every computer except mine.

spoonm

Can count to 3.
Trophies
Website
spoonm.org
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the reply! I installed the latest version of direct3d, but it didn't work. If I copy mame from the flash drive to the desktop, the errors disappear. Funny thing is, it runs fine off the flash drive on every computer except mine.

I mean your laptop. Or by desktop do you mean you laptop too? Sorry, I'm confused.

spoonm

Can count to 3.
Trophies
Website
spoonm.org
XP
Country
Brazil
It's ok. I tested it on various other computers, laptops included. By PC I meant Windows computers in general. Sorry for the confusion :P

Do you get the same errors even after installing the latest DirectX/3D? Try taking a look at the installed dependencies on the computers it works on. Hopefully there's a clue there. I'm sorry I can't help much more than this. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a