Run MAME From USB Flash Drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by dj505, Jul 24, 2015.

1. dj505
    OP

dj505 Inexperienced Romhacker

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Most likely at the arcade
    Hi, I've been trying for a while now to get MAME to run from my 32GB flash drive on my laptop. Whenever I run mame.exe, though, it says "unable to create direct3d device", "unable to initialize direct3d" and "FATALERROR: Unable to complete window creation". Thing is, MAME runs fine from my desktop and all ROMs work. It also runs from the USB drive on other computers that I've tested it on.
    The main reason I'm trying to do this is because I'm trying to run HyperSpin from USB (it works when launching MAME from my desktop) but doesn't run MAME from the USB drive because of the 3 above errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is what's shown when I (try to) run mame.exe from the command line:

MAME_ERROR.png

Thank you! :)

Last edited by dj505, Jul 24, 2015
  2. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    I never used MAME, so it's a shot in the dark, but do you have Direct3D installed on your laptop? Maybe you should try updating it to the latest version. I'm sorry I can't provide more help than this.

If you copy the files over to wherever on your laptop's hard drive and try to run it, does it work as intended or does it give you the same errors?

3. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks for the reply! I installed the latest version of direct3d, but it didn't work. If I copy mame from the flash drive to the desktop, the errors disappear. Funny thing is, it runs fine off the flash drive on every computer except mine.

4. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    I mean your laptop. Or by desktop do you mean you laptop too? Sorry, I'm confused.

5. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    It's ok. I tested it on various other computers, laptops included. By PC I meant Windows computers in general. Sorry for the confusion :P

6. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    Do you get the same errors even after installing the latest DirectX/3D? Try taking a look at the installed dependencies on the computers it works on. Hopefully there's a clue there. I'm sorry I can't help much more than this. :/