Homebrew RPG Maker Emulator/Player possible?

war lorder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Later or in the future is it possible for games like Pokemon insurgence, Pokemon uranium Or other RPG Maker games can be played on the 3ds?
Could the 3ds even handle it?... or does it not have the right software

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's asking about one that's compatible with the ones for the PC. The one Rinn is developing is a completely different and incompatible system

Reactions: war lorder

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
The fastest way to have RPG Maker games on 3DS is to port EasyRPG that is something about tons of strings of codes.
Also it support only RPG Maker 2k/2K3 projects, it works only on good devices (Right now are supported: PC, Android, Wii, GCW Zero, Dingoo, Open Pandora, Caano), it's kinda buggy and unstable (it's only v.0.3) and probably on 3DS you'll have big framedrops using it.

war lorder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I honestly wouldn't know how to make these or where to even start, what i wanna know is should i look foward to a possible release or a project of someone doing this? Is it actually possible to play them on the 3ds at a steady/playable framerate?

I've tried getting this to work on android but so far no luck... ive tried 3 apps.. but none of them work... and i probably wont even be able to play it since my android phone is SG2 and i cant even play DS games at a steady framerate

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about porting EasyRPG, but it's not easy. I've mostly ported the liblcf portion which parses the files (though my cross compiling ICU4C for the 3ds was hacky and probably broken). To get the player to run, I'm going to have to substitute their usage of SDL and OpenAL (and SDL_Audio I think). If I ever get anything substantial done on this, you'll probably see it. If not, I've given up lol.

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A port of EasyRPG Player is now out...
Original post (4dsdev)

Runs really bad/slow, but works.....

EasyRPG Player is an open source implementation of the RPG Maker 2000/2003 engine. You can use it to play RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 games.

How to use:
Paste your game into the folder where easyrpg-player.3dsx is and enjoy. The download includes a sample game, so the Player is already functional after extracting (the missing files warnings are normal currently because I only included assets we have permission to use... but good enough for testing)

This program needs a lot of executable memory (4.5MB) to run. Upon startup select a suitable title. Titles that should be fine (in theory) are: Smash Bros, Monster Hunter 4 (Demo), Monster Hunter 3U, Mario Kart 7, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Yoshis New Island and probably many other cartridges...

Note:
The easyrpg-player.smdh is renamed because it crashes for me when the smdh has the correct name :wtf:

Problems:
Runs really slow (10 FPS) and lacks audio (because we use SDL2 for this which wasn't ported yet). No, the garbage screen at the beginning is normal, just wait up to one minute. If still nothing happens it probably crashed ^^.
I have ideas to make the startup faster and the performance issue can be resolved later by using a higher CPU clock (but I don't have a N3DS for testing :/)

It would be really nice when somebody wants to maintain it. Because we are too busy with the engine in general and can't maintain all ports. So see this as a PoC until somebody improves it ;)

Download:
https://easy-rpg.org/downloads/easyrpg-player-3ds.zip

Sourcecode:
https://github.com/Ghabry/easyrpg-player/commits/3ds

Library Dependencies:
sf2d, ctru, liblcf, ICU 49.1 (last version that supports disabling threads), pixman (with -DPIXMAN_NO_TLS), expat, libpng, libz, libfreetype
(tell me when you have problems getting one of the libs to compile, ICU is a bit tricky ^^)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I honestly wouldn't know how to make these or where to even start, what i wanna know is should i look foward to a possible release or a project of someone doing this? Is it actually possible to play them on the 3ds at a steady/playable framerate?

I've tried getting this to work on android but so far no luck... ive tried 3 apps.. but none of them work... and i probably wont even be able to play it since my android phone is SG2 and i cant even play DS games at a steady framerate
The Galaxy S2 plays DS games fine with DraStic by @Exophase

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would test it on my N3DS. DO you think it will run well?

EDIT: could you add a .elf to the Download + make an optional option for compiling it by using romfs when I want to use a cia of it?

The problem here is that we are not very skilled in 3DS development.
So we need to figure out first how to increase the clock speed for N3DS. I think on N3DS it should run almost full speed with higher CPU clock.

Same for the CIA: Is it enough to just provide the .elf file or do you need anything else?

EDIT:
We made some speed tests on PC many months ago. On a very old 350 Mhz PC we got 30 FPS and on 800 Mhz (newer PC ;)) 60 FPS.
You can't compare ARM and x86 directly but I'm optimistic that it should run smooth on N3DS.

Last edited by Mastak,

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
So we need to figure out first how to increase the clock speed for N3DS. I think on N3DS it should run almost full speed with higher CPU clock.

Same for the CIA: Is it enough to just provide the .elf file or do you need anything else?

EDIT:
We made some speed tests on PC many months ago. On a very old 350 Mhz PC we got 30 FPS and on 800 Mhz (newer PC ;)) 60 FPS.
You can't compare ARM and x86 directly but I'm optimistic that it should run smooth on N3DS.

libctru recently received an update which added 804 MHZ support for N3DS (makerom also received an update to enable 804 MHZ clock for N3DS): https://github.com/smealum/ctrulib/commit/e12c8ff6a6690928e02e3696d1d32009a5d5abd4

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country

EDIT:

Will test it on my 3DS with Overclock (803Mhz L2) when I'm home :).
Sure I could build the cia with only the elf-file (will create a 3d banner for it by myself).
The problem with romfs: you need to add this to sourcecode to get it to work.
"call romfsInit()".
Here's a example code how to use files for romfs:
https://github.com/smealum/ctrulib/tree/master/examples/romfs

you just need to add the option for loading the files from romfs like in the sourcecode, I'll build the cia by myself with your provided .elf

(sorry for my bad english, it isn't my native language... sure, I'm livin in Liverpool but my native language is german xD )

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, my native language isn't English, either ;)

Okay, the RomFS change looks simple, will add it soon.

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much! (but make it optional please, because not everyone will use cia's ;) )
3dsx supports romfs too. But EasyRPG is made to load game assets from disk, not have a single game embedded.

This program needs a lot of executable memory (4.5MB) to run. Upon startup select a suitable title. Titles that should be fine (in theory) are: Smash Bros, Monster Hunter 4 (Demo), Monster Hunter 3U, Mario Kart 7, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Yoshis New Island and probably many other cartridges...
The odd part was that I could never get it running even as CIA on the console (only on Citra did it run). I have some ideas to speed it up and implement sound well. But I'll have to wait until I have the motivation to try recompiling stuff. :P

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to let you know, if EasyRPG only runs RPG Maker 2K/2k3 projects, it won't run any Pokemon fangames as those run off of RPG Maker XP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...