Gaming ROMS?

dbkdbk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I was wondering, are ROMS legal, I've tried looking it up, but I've gotten mixed answers, some say that they're illegal some say that they're not. So, what is it, are they illegal or not. BTW what if the ROM truly does belong to me, say I rip a ROM from one of my legally purchased VC games, is the ROM legal?

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You cant be serious.
blink.gif

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dbkdbk said:
Hey, I was wondering, are ROMS legal, I've tried looking it up, but I've gotten mixed answers, some say that they're illegal some say that they're not. So, what is it, are they illegal or not. BTW what if the ROM truly does belong to me, say I rip a ROM from one of my legally purchased VC games, is the ROM legal?

Of course Roms are legal, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, they all want you to download your games instead of paying for them.
rolleyes.gif

dbkdbk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant, is it legal to keep backups of your games as ROMS, and I seriously mean it. My bandwidth is limited and so I dont want to have to redownload games in case I need to.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Under the complete farce that is the current laws, you can keep a fair use copy of your own games as long as you didn't have to circumvent encryption to do so.

So no ROM images from your lifetime are legal.

dbkdbk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:
Most fairly recent consoles require some kind of circumvention of encyption to extract images of the games. Which is illegal.

So, if I dump my Wii's NAND (Using Waninkoko FS) onto my PC and extract any ROMS from my wads, the ROMS i've extracted are illegal?
frown.gif

wzeroc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Well, as i look at it, as long as no one knows that you have a digital copy of your game (ROM in easier words), and that you don't put it up on the Internet, it is legal enough.

Let me ask you quite a simple question. If you dig your nose in a a closed and secluded place and manner in that no one sees you do the deed and no one can know you did that in any way possible unless you tell others, would you feel embarassed about it?

In the end, it always boil down to how you feel about it. Oh, and that you don't tell other people of give it to other people. Simple, in my opinion.
biggrin.gif

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well according to the mishmash of laws and agreements, any sort of homebrew is illegal.
But nintendo sorta turns a blind eye to it, as it helps rather than hinder its sales

When piracy gets involved, they start to crack down on it.

So really lots of things are illegal, but only the bigger ones are made more obvious

Dr.Stiles

Trophies
Website
www.quatchibars.blogspot.com
XP
Country
dbkdbk said:

lecture.gif
lecture.gif
lecture.gif
lecture.gif

no no no no no

QUOTE(Sstew @ Jan 10 2009, 09:56 AM) You cant download, backup, any of that. If its questionable to you then chances are you shouldnt be doing it.

Agreed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-