Hacking Rominator v2008

PieOPah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
veekay said:
Will it ever be possible to go back to the way it was in the last version of keeping all the data in the same path as rominator? I keep mine on a separate drive specifically to keep it away from the c drive.

Here Here.

IIRC this is where the data used to be kept. It was then moved to the same location as the app file. This was perfect for me so I could back up the files easily.

Sniffer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just installed the 2000.5 version - doesn't appear to make any difference to the speed........

Still been loading my Game List for over ten mins already and not finished !!

Sniffer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Took around an hour to load the list - all seems working now (until I shut down the app and start it up again
frown.gif
)

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
veekay said:
Will it ever be possible to go back to the way it was in the last version of keeping all the data in the same path as rominator? I keep mine on a separate drive specifically to keep it away from the c drive.

No. This is to protect the data files as well as backed up saves. Plus it makes it easier to run Rominator standalone from anywhere on your drive.

Sniffer, I don't understand why yours takes so long to load -- Might I suggest smaller game lists? Even with all games in a list, it only takes me 3 seconds to load them. There's gotta be something wrong with your computer then.

Also I found a bug in 2008.5, if you flash an rZipped file, it'll give you an error when it's done flashing, but it doesn't hurt anything because the file transfers over just fine, I'll just clear the error for 2008.6

Thanks,
--Henry

leavemealone347

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep getting this error whenever I flash a ROM. I don't know why because the .nds file does still exist and I have not ejected my flash drive.

picture111kj8.png

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
leavemealone347 said:
I keep getting this error whenever I flash a ROM. I don't know why because the .nds file does still exist and I have not ejected my flash drive.

picture111kj8.png

Please read my above post. quoted directly:
QUOTEAlso I found a bug in 2008.5, if you flash an rZipped file, it'll give you an error when it's done flashing, but it doesn't hurt anything because the file transfers over just fine, I'll just clear the error for 2008.6

Mejilan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
Also I found a bug in 2008.5, if you flash an rZipped file, it'll give you an error when it's done flashing, but it doesn't hurt anything because the file transfers over just fine, I'll just clear the error for 2008.6

Thanks,
--Henry

Cheers on the new version! Just downloaded it. FYI, I was getting that rzipped file flash error with 2008.4 as well. I probably should have reported it.
Is the Save Defender feature new? I don't see any documentation for it. Am I correct in assuming that when set up and enabled, it'll do a backup of the save files on the SD card on a daily basis (assuming you plug it into your computer on a daily basis, of course)?

Kudos! Very neat!

TechnoCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
veekay said:

No. This is to protect the data files as well as backed up saves. Plus it makes it easier to run Rominator standalone from anywhere on your drive.

Sniffer, I don't understand why yours takes so long to load -- Might I suggest smaller game lists? Even with all games in a list, it only takes me 3 seconds to load them. There's gotta be something wrong with your computer then.

Thanks,
--Henry
One thing i liked about having the rominator data files located in the folder rominator was executed from is that it could be put on a usb flash drive and then used on any computer anywhere. So at a friends house i could quick switch out some games without having to mess with his %appdata% and it would just run as long as the data folder was with the exe.

On another note:
The filter for size doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm not sure if this is just me or not, but when i say only show roms that are

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
TechnoCat said:
One thing i liked about having the rominator data files located in the folder rominator was executed from is that it could be put on a usb flash drive and then used on any computer anywhere. So at a friends house i could quick switch out some games without having to mess with his %appdata% and it would just run as long as the data folder was with the exe.

On another note:
The filter for size doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm not sure if this is just me or not, but when i say only show roms that are

sfunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What exactly happens with Save Defender when you add a new game (that had no initial save) to your flashcart? It doesn't seem to detect the new game meaning you have to make another initial backup. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something.

Edit: Never mind, it works I just didn't notice it at the bottom of the list. Cool feature!

Yuuko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe I didn't search hard enough, but I see an issue with the default renaming of Rominator, since some ROMs are listed in the database under the same name although they are not the same (same game, same region, but different multilanguages).

My first problem so far have been with ROMs 180 and 184. I fixed it by adding numbers in ROM names, but maybe it would be good to add an "alt" suffix for those.

Great app by the way.

ichabod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new version of rominator is freaking awesome!! But every time i download a new update an error pops up saying unable to save settings the file may be missing write protected or corrupted. Then i hit okay and it always asks me to migrate etc.(When v2008 first came out I installed over version 3.X may this be why?) Thats about the only problem i am having otherwise the program is great. There is another thing i have to complain about, the old version would load the list of roms like that but now it takes about 2 minutes just to load the list so yeah...

vDrag0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
question for hank. Was there any specific reason on placing the data files in user/app data folder? Because of this, rominator is now non-portable...

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
Sniffer said:
One other question..........does it only check for updates when you run the application or can you force it to update when the application is open?

I often keep the app running for several days......

I forgot to mention, right before release, I snuck in a little addition in the Help menu
wink.gif

@Sniffer: Weird... Works on my Mac
tongue.gif
I'll do some debugging over the next 2 days I have off work. Gonna do it on the Mac Pro so I can run Windows XP and Winblows Shitsta at the same time.
smile.gif

wtf, whats Winblows Shitsta?

I like this alot. only bugs I've seen is that it doesnt actually update. just keeps doing nothing when I say update, the green bars dance but nothing happens

M

Mephisto

hankchill said:

Thanks,
--Henry

I want to add my load times to those of Sniffers. It's taking 30/40 minutes everytime to load up the romlist, whilst that's happening Rominator states it's not responding (it does eventually come back), and also a quick check in taskmanager and it's just peaked at using 274MB of RAM!!! Yeah, so I've got 2,400 roms in there, but surely there's something wrong!

Also just checked my TEMP folder and it's left 2.5GB of uncompressed ROMS in there!!!!
mad.gif

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, the original Rominator worked fine for me, it did it what it was supposed to. I was looking forward to this version, but I really don't like the interface very much, why make us do an extra click to show full ROM info, it's not like monitors nowadays have screen real estate issues!

I'm all for paying people for their hard work, but not until you fix things so it works in it's most basic form. I just want to fire it up and copy roms to my flashcard, not wait 45 minutes to do it!

If there was ever a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"....
unsure.gif

Sniffer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mephisto said:
hankchill said:

Thanks,
--Henry

I want to add my load times to those of Sniffers. It's taking 30/40 minutes everytime to load up the romlist, whilst that's happening Rominator states it's not responding (it does eventually come back), and also a quick check in taskmanager and it's just peaked at using 274MB of RAM!!! Yeah, so I've got 2,400 roms in there, but surely there's something wrong!

Also just checked my TEMP folder and it's left 2.5GB of uncompressed ROMS in there!!!!
mad.gif

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, the original Rominator worked fine for me, it did it what it was supposed to. I was looking forward to this version, but I really don't like the interface very much, why make us do an extra click to show full ROM info, it's not like monitors nowadays have screen real estate issues!

I'm all for paying people for their hard work, but not until you fix things so it works in it's most basic form. I just want to fire it up and copy roms to my flashcard, not wait 45 minutes to do it!

If there was ever a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"....
unsure.gif

Mine is still taking around half an hour to load up the romlist every time (I've got all 2330 roms in the list) - have tried rebooting, cleaning up my machine and having that as the only thing running and still no difference.

Interestingly Rominator DOES clear the TEMP folder of the subdirs when your run the CRC32 check on the roms (it unzips them, checks them and then deletes the dir) but it obivously doesn't do the same thing when you IDENTIFY them....(it just unzips them and leaves them there....)

I tend to agree that it is defeating the object of using Rominator and I've even had to copy files onto my flash manually (shock, horror !!) a few days ago as I couldn't wait 30 mins for the romlist to load.

Any ideas ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hi