ROM hacking Command and Destroy DS

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by SG1anubis007, Nov 8, 2008.

Nov 8, 2008
  1. SG1anubis007
    OP

Newcomer SG1anubis007 Member

United States
    I would like to know if it is possible to edit the sprites for command and destroy ds.

[​IMG]

I unpacked it with DSlazy and found the .bin file for the sprites. I opened them with a hex editor but don't have a clue what to do. I suppose this is going to be an impossible task for me because it is probably way to advanced. What I would like to know is if there is a somewhat easy way to take that .bin file and assign pixels to the data it contains so that I could edit the sprites in a paint or photoshop application or perhaps from the hex editor itself. [​IMG]

2. HernanZh

Member HernanZh GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Lol, well technically you can change graphics solely with a hex editor.
    What you need is a tile editor, one that can view/export in GBA 4bpp and 8bpp modes (most common in DS games). A popular one is Tile Molester.

3. SG1anubis007
    OP

United States
    I tried it out and it seemed to help, Now I just need to set the colors correctly. The current default color palette won't show the sprites correctly because the colors are wrong. What should I do from here on? The .nds binary contains a palettes folder with a couple different palettes as .bin files. How can I apply these palettes to the tiles I am working on using tile molester?

[​IMG]

4. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    how to apply the palette -
    1. find the starting offset of the palette
    2. change it into decimal form (use calc.exe if using xp/vista)
    3. goto tile molester, and select import -> this file
    4. type in the decimal form of the starting offset of the palette, and then the size of the palette.

5. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  6. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    or applying a palette using crystaltile2 -
    1. get the graphics aligned and set up (like what you did) on the graphic viewer on CT2
    2. change the window to the hex editor, and then go to the first byte of the palette, and do a data -> palette conversion.
    3. change the window back into the graphic viewer, and you'll see the palette was applied. [​IMG]

I see a LOT of unit sprites.
    well I've got 20 out of the few hundred done. (they are not aligned, so I just couldn't highlight everything and extract the pic...
    but the icons that you showed us on your first post were already aligned.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All unit sprites needs to be 16x16 pixels or less, if you are planning to do a sprite change..

7. SG1anubis007
    OP

United States
    @DarthNemesis, I believe the files for the palette are in a different file format then the ones described in your topic.

@psycoblaster, Your progress looks great, It would be great if I could get a hold of what you have done so far and it seems that I am having trouble finding some english download links for CT2

Thanks for you replies. I am going to try and make it more like red alert, maybe I will post some pics.

8. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yeah, but that part doesn't matter. The only part that matters is where the actual palette data starts.

9. CPhantom

Member CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    Very nice idea here. I'd love to see this done with Starcraft units or something [​IMG]

Maybe, using the steps posted here, I'll try this myself sometime!

Just out of curiousity though...are you planning something? Or are you just curious as well?

10. SG1anubis007
    OP

United States
    I am not sure if you are asking him or me, but I have been waiting forever for a RTS on the DS and this is the only one available. Assuming that I can still do this on my own I am determined to change the sprites so that this game can be better. I think all the basics are there for the game play, it is only the sprites that need some modifications. It would be great to see some mods for other game sprites as well!

I am not sure I understand what the offset is and how to find it.

11. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    crystaltile2 is in chinese, and there was a korean language file that I've translated over 80%.
    I think I've deleted the file but I'm sure Noitora has it. (I gave the english language file to him... so he should still have it)
    Crystaltile is a great tool to apply palettes to files.
    All you need to do is find the palette, click on the byte where the palette starts, and convert the data into a palette using Crystaltile's funcion.
    All I've done was apply the palette from the palette files that was appropriate for the sprites.
    The unit sprites are in the size of 16x16, and the icons are 32x32.
    The palette is the palette file itself.
    No headers in the palette, so just apply the whole palette file.

12. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    http://sharebee.com/6c946a18
    ^ Crystaltile English translation by Psycoblaster.

13. SG1anubis007
    OP

United States
    Thanks I'll give it a try.