Rom Hacking .bin files

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by blackcarbond, Apr 1, 2013.

Apr 1, 2013

Rom Hacking .bin files by blackcarbond at 10:23 PM (2,797 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. blackcarbond
    OP

Newcomer blackcarbond Member

United States
    Hi Potential Rom Hacker,

First of all I have read all the posts on extracting ds rom .bin files and I know it is pretty much impossible to open them, but I want to ask anyways. I have been trying to hack this Nintendo DS rom called Tron Evolution DS. The target file I want to unpack is called FileNames.bin which is in the data folder of the rom. When I opened this FileNames.bin file with my hex editor I see all the file names I want (.nsbmd files and other file names). I know exactly which files I want extracted from this bin file. Is there ANY way on this earth that I can unpack this bin file? I personally do not think it is possible but I want to ask.

Thanks for your time and I hope to hear back from you if you read this.

2. Auryn

Member Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    It is not impossible to open .bin files but it's impossible to help you without doing the work for you.
    For work I mean find the rom, find that file, analize that file and maybe make a program to de/compress and extract the files from that archive.

You saw the nsbmd files so the first question is if you can handle 3D model files of the NDS because if you not can handle them, it's useless to extract them.

Anyway, i took 2min to look at that game:
    the filename.bin is not the file you are looking for; the file you are looking for is FileData.bin, that is the file that contains all the informations for the game. FileInfo.bin is a list of offsets/dimentions to split FileData.bin and finally FileName.bin are the names of this sub files.

You need a program to split/rebuild this files as i said before because it's more than 4700+ subfiles and I believe the subfiles are compressed.

3. blackcarbond
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the reply.

My main goal is extract the .nsbmd files and possibly some other files, and that's it. I do not need them packed back into their .bin files after they are extracted. I have a reason for this :lol: and it is not pointless. I do have experience with editing and saving various file types (and .nsbmd files) on ds roms, so i'm not just a curious beginner at rom hacking. Right now I just want a program to open the .bin files just like they were .zip files. I need the contents of the inside of the .bin files. The way you explained it confuses me a bit. I think you mean the FileData.bin is the beef of the game (holding .nsbmd files and other files) and then the other .bin files are there for naming conventions, settings, and other things? Long story short I want the 3d models out (.nsbmd) and i'll take it from there.

4. Auryn

Switzerland
    There is not a program that will make that for you.

FileData.bin = all the pages of a book apart the index
    FileNames.bin = It's the index of that book but only the chapters name without the page numbers.
    FileInfo.bin = It's again the index of that book but only the page numbers list without the chapters name.

More clear now??

5. blackcarbond
    OP

United States
    Yes. I knew it was a long shot, sorry for your time. I just wish there was a custom program to extract it, but I see its too many pieces.

6. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    spreadsheet, filecutter and a bat file. the bat file to feed filecutter the offsets and filenames from the aforementioned files. the spreadsheet to put that info in away that makes it easy to build the bat file for filecutter.exe. that is assuming that there is no compression in these files. hope this helps.

7. Auryn

Switzerland
    They seem to be partially compressed and partially not compressed.
    I kept the things easy for him but actually its VFS with subfolders.